Endings discussion (all the spoilers!)

Swords, pistols, and palace intrigue - will you fight to save your prince?
Oki

#31 Postby Oki » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 am

~sparkly perception~

Nazagi wants to be respected. Oscar wants to be loved and appreciated. Callum wants someone he can trust and love. YOUR GIRLFRIEND JUST WANTS YOU TO BE CUNNING BUT NOT A BACKSTABBER. Your other girlfriend just wants you to be a good person.

It was fairly easy for me to figure it out once I figured those things out. Just keep them in mind and play as you would if you were Maddy who knew it and viola. I'm usually decent at visual novels XD

I love Cassidy. . . she is so adorable.

I want. . . I want more stuff with Nazagi and his hawtness T_T WHY ARE HIS CGS SO BIPOLAR

And now to go post all my Nazagi crap.

Hazel

#32 Postby Hazel » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 pm

I resented Oscar almost immediately and shut him down pretty hard. I suppose that might be why I got Callum's 'normal' end second... after my first end was absconding with Dolores.

Although I didn't get to seduce Cassidy away from all her suitors and sweep her off her feet, not even after saving her life multiple times, and not even with fabulous hair and badass dagger skills, and... okay, I'll stop. Even though I didn't get to do that, I'm glad that Madeleine and Cassidy become good friends in a lot of the endings.

I like her best with Gaston. Although I don't like him without reservations, he is a decent sort and there is something very touching about his proposal that rings true to me. I mean, for my personal inclinations the triad ending is marvelous, and Oscar and Cassidy certainly have a lot in common, but I think Gaston is good for her.

It's hard to pick a favorite ending overall, not just because I haven't unlocked all of them. None of the LIs are really exactly what I look for, they all have their ups and downs. Sometimes you just know a character will hit all your favorite notes for no particular reason. I suppose Dolores came closest to that, but her path is a little too understated, and it does require leaving behind everyone else, which is sad.

On the other hand I have mad respect for her for refusing to play the game.

Mystic Cake

#33 Postby Mystic Cake » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:10 am

Well I finally got around to doing Gaston's route, and I got the happy ending. I still don't much care for him even after... that, but Colette was ADORABLE.

Still, favorite ending is and always shall be Nazagi's, though my favorite romance for Madeleine would be Colette. Nazagi's interesting, but he's a better working partner than a love interest.

An interesting combination of favorites, I think, since they are practically polar opposites.

thezooqueen

#34 Postby thezooqueen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 am

I have Dolores 'good ending' The apple one, but I do not know how to get her second one :( please help!! <3

sqbr

#35 Postby sqbr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:25 pm

I've edited my post above and the corresponding blog post with most of the endings : http://alias-sqbr.dreamwidth.org/486825.html

Still can't figure out how to get the Dolores bad ending though! Being a jerk to her in the Cullen path just makes the Cullen bad end more inevitable :)

The Gaston bad end was surreal but made it's own weird kind of sense.

Now that I've had some time to ponder all the good endings I think the Nazagi one is my favourite.

thezooqueen

#36 Postby thezooqueen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:14 pm

edited by mod to bring in question about what Dolores's bad end is and whether the right slot is being marked:

So it is not when you turn her down to leave with her and she calls the guards and calls you an assassin??

hanako
Site Admin

#37 Postby hanako » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:10 pm

If you don't leave with Dolores at all (and she yells that you're an assassin and all that), that is slotted as Callum's bad end.

Dolores's bad end happens if you DO agree with her plan and decide to leave with her... and when you get to the rendezvous point, then she betrays you.

... the characters didn't quite want to play nice with my ending structure. :) The reasoning is that if you didn't agree with Dolores's plan at all, then you were never on her tiny little offshoot path, you were still on Callum's path, only the part of Callum's path where it's all gone wrong.

Dolores' actual bad end is hard to get for most people because it's tricky to get the balance necessary for Madeleine to consider her offer while still making Dolores hate you enough to want to screw you over. The easy way to get her bad ending is to generally be nice to her, but tell her that Callum means nothing to you and then kiss him while she's watching. IIRC there's another way to do it but I'd have to check the code, it's tricky.

thezooqueen

#38 Postby thezooqueen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:13 pm

Thank you so much for posting that. I have all but that one :)

biscuit

#39 Postby biscuit » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:52 pm

I got Callum's normal ending, and it was still pretty sweet... although I muchly regretted that I apparently completely alienated Oscar. :( Sads!

I want to play Gaston's route (so bombastic! So hilariously adorable from what I've seen so far!), and Nazagi doesn't appeal to me personally, but maybe I'll warm up to him once I play a bit more.

While Oscar is very sweet, I (so far) have had little urge to play his route just because Madeleine always makes it so clear in her mental dialogue that it would be highly inappropriate.

Tellah

#40 Postby Tellah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Yeah, I thought that it was kind of strange for a while that Callum's Bad End almost had more to do with Dolores than him- I mean, I had to ask for how to get her bad ending too XD

Even though I've gotten all the endings from the 'Alliance' screen, I am intrigued by:
"It's not totally an endings checklist anyway, more of an endings-category checklist... as there are a few substantial variations that aren't covered there."
From the Hanako in the General Discussion Thread. :shock: Now I'm going to be wondering what I've missed...

hanako
Site Admin

#41 Postby hanako » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 pm

Well, one of them's already been discussed in this thread - it's possible to complete Callum's route and never find out the truth about Dolores, if you ticked her off enough that she left. So you could get all the hearts filled in and STILL not have that answered explicitly, although you'd probably kind of figure it out.

Oscar's route has several different epilogues all lumped together as the "normal" ending, depending on the state of the Oscar/Maddie relationship by the end. The important facts are still true - he doesn't hate your guts forever and you're not married to him - but the details change.

Hazel

#42 Postby Hazel » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 pm

hanako wrote:If you don't leave with Dolores at all (and she yells that you're an assassin and all that), that is slotted as Callum's bad end.

Dolores's bad end happens if you DO agree with her plan and decide to leave with her... and when you get to the rendezvous point, then she betrays you.

It makes perfect sense to me because it's right after they have the discussion about trusting people and taking a chance that they might betray you. I just like Dolores too much to easily alienate her. And I actually quite like Callum too, so doing the hot-and-cold thing never occurred to me.

The thing I like about Nazagi is that he's very clever and I think he makes by far the best king on political merit alone. But again he has all the classic weaknesses of very intelligent people, and especially bright men. He is insecure and socially awkward, which makes for an interesting dynamic with Madeleine, who has by far the best image control skills of any character in the game. But, again, she is not as good a schemer as he is.

sqbr

#43 Postby sqbr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:53 pm

And now my ending collection is complete :D :D

Biscuit: I found it impossible to play the Oscar path with full enthusiasm, but it was enjoyable if I played Maddie as reluctant but eventually won over by ~love~. As long as you get him to kiss you by the river and then accept his proposal in the end it all seems to work out. And if you ask for him to be married off to Cassidy he begs you to marry him and your choices are "say yes" and "BREAK HIS HEART", couldn't say no to that :)

RedSocialKnight

#44 Postby RedSocialKnight » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:54 pm

hanako wrote:Callum's route ... Dolores ... left.

I'm relieved! I got this ending, and I had the uneasy impression when Dolores left the room with Callum and then he returned without her that he might be just claiming she had gone off when in fact he'd done away with her himself.

Ryuuichi009

#45 Postby Ryuuichi009 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 pm

I have to say though Oscar pretty much cheesed me off in one of his endings. Madeline had been harsh enough that he flat out refused her proposal which fair enough no one likes a jerk :P but then I pick the get the estate option and he starts going about "How could you do this? What about how we feel about each other?" and I'm just lolwut? You reject her when she proposes and jumps on the marry Cassidy boon eagerly.

That tidbit made me want to slap him.

That said my favorite non romance endings tended to be Oscar's. Especially the one where he helps Maddie out with her estate. :)

Naz on the other hand =/ didn't like his route at all.

Gaston's route was beautiful. :3

And Pherod hit all my want buttons. My sadness when he wasn't an option. :(
Last edited by Ryuuichi009 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Confines of the Crown”