Endings discussion (all the spoilers!)

Swords, pistols, and palace intrigue - will you fight to save your prince?
sqbr

Paths I have figured out and thoughts

#16 Postby sqbr » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:06 am

The two key branching points seem to be whose room you check and who you talk to at the river while camping with Callum and Oscar.

Oscar:
To get on the path you have to be in love with him, the necklace and being nice/romantic helps but afaict the key is to choose him at the river and pick "What about Cassidy?".
Good end: Be fairly nice/romantic, choose to marry him at the end.
Bad End: Be fairly nice/romantic, choose NOT to marry him at the end.
Normal: Be douchey, dishonest, domineering, overcautious and dismissive. He will dump you :)

Cullen: To get on his path choose him at the river and don't be a total douche to him.
Good End: Accept Callum's offer. Tell Cassidy to talk to her parents. Be nice to Oscar.
Bad End: Reject Callum's offer or tell Cassidy to talk to Pherod. Don't run off with Dolores.
Normal end: Go for Good End but treat Oscar like crap.

Dolores:
Good end: Do the Cullen path, be nice but entirely unromantic. Be nice to Dolores, tell her being alone is a weakness. When she asks you to run away with her say yes.
Bad end: Tell Cassidy to talk to Duke Pherod. Get Dolores to like you but not enough to trust you. Apparently one way is to kiss Callum in front of her then say he means nothing to you but be otherwise nice, I did it by refusing to untie her. Say being alone is a weakness. Accept her offer to run away.

Gaston: To get on the path, don't wear Oscar's necklace and check Gaston's room.
Good end: Be nice and accepting of Gaston and Cosette. Tell Cassidy to follow her heart, sleep with Colette.
Normal end: Tell Cassidy to follow her heart, don't sleep with Colette.
Bad end: Tell Cassidy she is Caspian.

Nazagi: To get on the path visit his room, don't get on any other path.
Good end: Be clever and helpful. Specifically, when he asks you to tell a funny story, talk about the guests.
Bad end: Get to the good end choice, reject him.
Normal end: Be insufficiently clever and helpful.

FOREVER ALONE: Pick Pherod's room. Talk to Oscar at the river and tell him you think of him as a brother.

The Oscar good end is sweet. I'm annoyed at Oscar for being so grumpy if you are kind but unromantic to him. I'm glad the normal Oscar end exists even if I wish there was a way to get him happily married to Cassidy and friends with you WITHOUT being in love with him or married to someone else.

I really liked the Cullen good end. I have a soft spot for sexy awkwardly well meaning but violent brooding guys. The Cullen bad end is a bit random but hey, you're in a dangerous situation, sometimes random choices get you killed!

The Dolores good end is even more random and arbitrary but was sweet. I felt bad for abandoning everyone but such is the nature of the path. I wish you had more chances to be friends with her before that.

The Gaston good end was...odd. Gaston is such a weirdo, Cassidy can do better, but they do seem happy. Also while I am very glad that there is a femslash option the Cosette romance was SUPER understated, not even a kiss despite my best efforts. Everyone else gets a kiss! You do get to be naked in a bath and share a bed which, yay, but still.

It took me a couple of playthroughs to NOT get the normal end, so my feeling of "DAAMIT NAZAGI I HELPED YOU" was quite genuine. Still, he was nice enough about it in his way and totally in character. And then...unexpected threesome! Which was very understated but sweet and I like to think it really did lead to a threesome ;)

I'm rather annoyed that the forever alone ending doesn't care if you are are thoughtless douchebag or otherwise decent and clever, you are equally ALONE. Also Pherod is the second cutest guy in the game I wish you got to know him better. (The cutest is Nazagi FYI. Cassidy is the cutest girl. Cosette is the second cutest LI. NOTE THE LACK OF SEXY MAKEOUTS WITH ANY OF THEM why does this always happen to me ;_;)

In general I enjoyed the game and how everything fit together, and am curious to know what happens in the remaining ends. I really like Cassidy and am glad she ends up happy and secure in her gender identity in most endings. Though a friend pointed out that "trap" is often used to mean "sexy guy in drag" which is unfortunate in context :/
Last edited by sqbr on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RedSocialKnight

#17 Postby RedSocialKnight » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:09 am

Mystic Cake wrote:her existence is the cause of everyone's problems.

Yes, it's all Cass's fault for existing. Very selfish of her.

Anyway, she does take direct action to oppose her parents and get you released from prison in a couple of different routes. She also shows no hesitation to shake things up when she discovers the truth.

ntasha

#18 Postby ntasha » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:10 am

The one thing that tipped the scales for me Dolores wise, was telling her that being alone is a weakness.

Love Callums route though first time round I was a bit too harsh towards Oscar and kind of made me sad that there is an option he doesn't like you or the whole kingdom.

Oscars route is crazy, and I almost feel not worth the pain cause (especially after seeing Callums route)

Gaston is soo sweet and I really don't get his bad press, he seems like a big puppy (sure not great as King material but cute)

Nazagi I thought he was ok but kind of hoped that there was an option we could ditch Cassidy and just run off to the hills together.

Still got a few ending to uncover but loving this game, been stalking the forums for months waiting on it coming out and it's way better than I thought it would be.

sqbr

#19 Postby sqbr » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:14 am

Gaston really is a big puppy, while I'm not 100% sold on him as a husband for Cassidy the one reason I don't know how to get the normal/bad ends for his path is that I can't bear to be mean to him and Cosette.

Mystic Cake

#20 Postby Mystic Cake » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:18 am

RedSocialKnight wrote:Yes, it's all Cass's fault for existing. Very selfish of her.

Anyway, she does take direct action to oppose her parents and get you released from prison in a couple of different routes. She also shows no hesitation to shake things up when she discovers the truth.

I never said she was selfish, just a statement that if Cassidy didn't exist, this whole fiasco could have been averted. But then, the same is true for Madeleine, Callum, Dolores, and Oscar, isn't it?

And she doesn't get you released, she gets you moved to a less dingy cell. Helpful in some small way, I suppose, but it doesn't really solve any problems. Nazagi did the same thing in his own arc, which also brought you into closer contact with him so the two of you could sort it all out dynamic-duo style.

Alright so I probably made a harsh generalization on Cass's character, so how about this: Cassidy doesn't seem to help much in Nazagi's arc, which is still my favorite thus far.

EDIT- forgot to add Dolores to that list.

RedSocialKnight

#21 Postby RedSocialKnight » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:26 am

ntasha wrote:The one thing that tipped the scales for me Dolores wise, was telling her that being alone is a weakness.

My problem was being too encouraging to Callum. You have to shut him down at every opportunity, even when Dolores isn't there, while still getting on his path by talking to him at the river.

Finally! Although Dolores had me stabbed so many times that those damn apples in her good ending left kind of a sour taste.

Buuuuuuuut...

I've now done every ending except for neutral-Nazagi and bad-Gaston, and I still don't know exactly who Dolores is. I'm assuming she was the lady-in-waiting's baby that was temporarily "Cassidy" before Caspian's transformation, but I don't think it's been spelled out anywhere yet.

Is it ever?

Mystic Cake

#22 Postby Mystic Cake » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:32 am

RedSocialKnight wrote:My problem was being too encouraging to Callum. You have to shut him down at every opportunity, even when Dolores isn't there, while still getting on his path by talking to him at the river.

That is... not at all how I did it XD

I was very encouraging to Callum the whole arc and I was still able to get it when I told them to talk to Duke Pherod...

Well congrats anyways.

RedSocialKnight wrote:I still don't know exactly who Dolores is. I'm assuming she was the lady-in-waiting's baby that was temporarily "Cassidy" before Caspian's transformation, but I don't think it's been spelled out anywhere yet.

Is it ever?

Yeah, it was spelled out in Callum's route when you were talking to the queen at the end... wasn't it? You're making me doubt myself :/

RedSocialKnight

#23 Postby RedSocialKnight » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:39 am

Mystic Cake wrote:That is... not at all how I did it XD.

Weird. I tried literally every combination of choices post-kidnapping and got stabbed every time, and then I went back to the very beginning (thank le bon dieu for fast-forward!) and did Callum's path as unromantically as possible, and that made the difference.

Hang on, though - I think you said before that you wore and kept Oscar's necklace on your playthrough. So did I when I finally got Dolores' good ending. Could that be it: could wearing Oscar's necklace on Callum's path leave you "in neutral" regarding your romantic choices so that Dolores is willing to consider you available?

hanako
Site Admin

#24 Postby hanako » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:39 am

You have to have befriended Dolores before doing Callum's final scenes in order to get that information explicitly spelled out. Otherwise Dolores leaves so she and you never find out.

Be nice enough to Dolores that you could pick apples with her, then go for Callum's ending.

And no, the necklace has nothing to do with it.

The most common way to get yourself stabbed is to tell Dolores that Callum means nothing to you, then after that, kiss him while she's watching. You can do one or the other but not both.
Last edited by hanako on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mystic Cake

#25 Postby Mystic Cake » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:42 am

RedSocialKnight wrote:Hang on, though - I think you said before that you wore and kept Oscar's necklace on your playthrough. So did I when I finally got Dolores' good ending. Could that be it: could wearing Oscar's necklace on Callum's path leave you "in neutral" regarding your romantic choices so that Dolores is willing to consider you available?

That could be it, considering I was locked out of Callum's good ending so I had to settle for the neutral ending for it (at least I assume that's why I didn't get the good ending, still haven't gotten around to getting it).

EDIT- or not. At least the Dolores part. Still pretty sure the necklace kept me from Callum's good ending.
Last edited by Mystic Cake on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sqbr

#26 Postby sqbr » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:42 am

How do you get to bad Nazagi? I tried screwing up the route every way I could think of and just ended up at neutral.

Mystic Cake

#27 Postby Mystic Cake » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:44 am

I just got right up to the last choice to the ending doing everything right, and then just refuse his offer and you get the bad ending.

RedSocialKnight

#28 Postby RedSocialKnight » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:45 am

sqbr wrote:How do you get to bad Nazagi?

You just turn him down when he proposes the concubine arrangement.

sqbr

#29 Postby sqbr » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:46 am

That is pretty obvious in retrospect. Oops. Thanks :) (EDIT: hee, what a great ending. I love how Nazagi is cold but really does prefer not to kill if he can help it)
Last edited by sqbr on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tellah

#30 Postby Tellah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:52 am

When I played it, I think the big difference between Callum's Normal Ending and Callum's Happy Ending was whether or not I'd destroyed the relationship between Madeline and Oscar or not.

Nazagi, I can't really puzzle him out. I tried to do things that I thought he'd be for, and I got a Normal Ending...
And then I spent a run trying to do things that I THOUGHT would get him annoyed, and I got the choice between Happy/Bad Ends XD
Maybe I need to play Nazagi's route again, I did sort of do his stuff last after a marathon...

Return to “The Confines of the Crown”