Endings discussion (all the spoilers!)

Swords, pistols, and palace intrigue - will you fight to save your prince?
hanako
Site Admin

Endings discussion (all the spoilers!)

#1 Post by hanako » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:30 pm

Chat about your favorite ending, your favorite pairing, or just scream WTF at the plot rollercoaster you've just been on.

And seriously, SERIOUSLY, stay out of this thread if you haven't played the game.

SERIOUSLY.

I'm even gonna make more blank lines so you have time to flee.

REALLY.
Last edited by hanako on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oki

#2 Post by Oki » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:01 pm

The Cassidy loop is FUN.
Last edited by Oki on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramidel

#3 Post by Ramidel » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:51 pm

Reposting this here. (Only in this thread, I'm not bothering with the white-out. If you're here at all...)

Hm. Oscar really doesn't do well in Callum's path, does he? Then again, Oscar's path is a fairy-tale romance, and Callum's path is the one where you get mixed up in his family intrigue.

I'm surprised by how Dolores' route is a short side-branch rather than a full route. Madeleine just doesn't get enough relationship development before deciding "oh, sure, I'll completely toss my duty and my entire life to the wind and go pick apples with a girl who I don't even trust, just because she needs a friend." I kinda get the feeling that it was more of an afterthought than anything.

Oki

#4 Post by Oki » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Come on Hanako, it's a spoiler thread. Thanks for editing my post T_T

I agree on the Dolores thing. Then again she is extremely jaded and hateful, so I guess it makes sense?

hanako
Site Admin

#5 Post by hanako » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Sure, it's a spoiler thread, but the game JUST came out and it's the first post in the thread and some clueless person is going to click on it out of vague curiosity and I didn't want the biggest spoiler in the entire game staring at them. :) I left the rest!

Punchysporkk

#6 Post by Punchysporkk » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:26 pm

I was gonna say a bunch of stuff but Oki already said most of it for me.

Nazagi's route felt a little rushed in comparison to Callum's and Oscar's. Probably just because he doesn't get as much screen time as those two, but I was a little disappointed as he was a really interesting character. I loved his ending even though it wasn't super happy. It was weird and messy and sweet. I just wish Cassidy seemed happier.

Callum's is my favorite route. He and Maddie seem so well matched. His CGs were gorgeous, his plot was well-written, he was perfect.

Oscar was... gah! I wanted to shake him so many times. He tried so hard and always made such a mess. But he was so sweet and kind that it was hard to hold it against him. And he was so happy when he finally got the girl.

Even Gaston and Dolores grew on me eventually. Colette is adorable.

I love Cassidy's big secret. Not something I've seen before in a game. I love how often your games have unusual endings and characters. Makes them so much more interesting because I have no idea what's going to happen. This was another instant favorite for me.

Oki

#7 Post by Oki » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:03 pm

I more or less meant, you could have just said "Oki, ssssh" instead of wordlessly editing my post. I don't mind though, I'll just delete the whole thing.

Oh Nazagi, my bby

hanako
Site Admin

#8 Post by hanako » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Sorry I didn't leave a note, I was just in a bit of a rush. I needed to slightly-hide one specific detail QUICKLY, and as whiting doesn't change or delete any words I don't generally consider it a big deal.

There was nothing wrong with your post at all, I just didn't want that specific bit of information to be immediately visible as the very first thing someone would see when clicking on this thread, is all.

Mystic Cake

#9 Post by Mystic Cake » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:29 am

Punchysporkk wrote: Nazagi's route felt a little rushed in comparison to Callum's and Oscar's. Probably just because he doesn't get as much screen time as those two, but I was a little disappointed as he was a really interesting character. I loved his ending even though it wasn't super happy. It was weird and messy and sweet. I just wish Cassidy seemed happier.
It seems to me that Nazagi's ending pretty much solves everyone's problems: Cassidy's secret is safe so both her and her parents are safe, Dolores gets her wish and she's happy, you get a nice setup yourself, and to top it all off Nazagi gets what he wanted.

Sure, Oscar gets screwed a bit since you left him, and Callum's still as he always was, but relative to the big picture, it seems like Nazagi cleaned up the whole mess quite nicely. Besides, Oscar is Nazagi's competition, so he can't feel too bad for him.

That being said, of the few endings I've gotten so far, obviously Nazagi's happy ending is my favorite.

mannequin

#10 Post by mannequin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:37 am

Yeah, when it comes to wrapping everything up I think Oscar's ending leave the most stray threads (not that you know that if Oscar's your first route). That said, I think all the princes handle the situation really well. Gaston actually made me "awww" when he revealed his own physical imperfections and swore to love Cassidy despite hers. (The hints of Maddie starting a relationship with Colette were also really sweet).

Although I think Callum's ending leaves the least unresolved. He gets a position of importance and gets his answers, Maddie will have her many skills put to use, Dolores finds her own place in the world, and Oscar and Cassidy are pretty cute together.

...I stayed up really late and got all the happy endings except the solo end.

Mystic Cake

#11 Post by Mystic Cake » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:43 am

Ah, I actually haven't done Gaston's route at all yet, because... well, he's Gaston... and I only got the neutral ending for Callum (seemed pretty happy to me though...) and the happy endings for both Nazagi and Oscar, so I wouldn't be a good judge on whose is better at the moment.

RedSocialKnight

#12 Post by RedSocialKnight » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:45 am

Ramidel wrote:Dolores' route ... go pick apples
Argh! I am trying and trying to get this ending, and she always just has me stabbed by the guards once I get to the rendezvous point.

Her ending is after "Go Talk to Pherod" in Callum's route, right? You just have to have made the right choices beforehand? Or am I on the completely wrong path?
Mystic Cake wrote:It seems to me that Nazagi's ending pretty much solves everyone's problems.
Except that poor Cass is stuck in a loveless marriage with a cold fish! Having seen how weirdly perfect Gaston turns out to be for her, my canon ending has to have the two of them together.
Last edited by RedSocialKnight on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mystic Cake

#13 Post by Mystic Cake » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:48 am

No that's right, but you have to get her to like you before that or else she'll backstab you, try backtracking a bit and do some nice things for her to get her on your side.
RedSocialKnight wrote:Except that poor Cass is stuck in a loveless marriage with a cold fish! Having seen how weirdly perfect Gaston turns out to be for her, my canon ending has to have the two of them together.
Cold fish!? Harsh... anyways, I feel that's a better end for Cass than, say, Dolores's ending or Callum's bad ending (both of which are pretty much the same but for your own fate...).

Personally I never really liked Cass, she pretty much just seems to be deadweight though most of the story, not really helping at all, especially considering that her existence is the cause of everyone's problems. But regarding her fate with Nazagi- her secret's safe, she's married to a proven capable king and in the epilogue CG, she doesn't seem to be too depressed about it.

RedSocialKnight

#14 Post by RedSocialKnight » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:56 am

Gah! Stabbed again! What can you do for Dolores, other than untie her? There just aren't that many interactions before her ending, and I've tried almost every variation from the "Untie her?" point already!

Is there something crucial early on in the game? Do you have to give her the necklace instead of money? I can't see why that would matter.

Mystic Cake

#15 Post by Mystic Cake » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:00 am

I didn't give her the necklace, but I was wearing it. There's also not snarking at her that one time and instead deferring to Cassidy...

hmmm I can't recall much else. But remember it might not be just your interactions with her that count- it could also be what you do while she's present.