Favorite character (spoilers!)

Swords, pistols, and palace intrigue - will you fight to save your prince?

Favorite character in The Royal Trap

Madeleine
24%
Oscar
13%
Cassidy
7%
Gaston
4%
Nazagi
14%
Callum
24%
Dolores
5%
Colette
7%
Someone else
2%

Total votes: 137

Oki

#16 Postby Oki » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:46 am

Ryuuichi009 wrote:Callum.

He grew on me. And his CGs made me squee I won't lie. :oops:

Thiuuuus so hard.

biscuit

#17 Postby biscuit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:18 am

I WANT to say Callum, but cannot honestly choose that answer (not yet, at least) because I haven't played Nazagi's route yet. But Callum, brash, moody, and just plain fwoar as he is, is completely my favorite so far.[/i]

Mystic Cake

#18 Postby Mystic Cake » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:21 am

biscuit wrote:I WANT to say Callum, but cannot honestly choose that answer (not yet, at least) because I haven't played Nazagi's route yet. But Callum, brash, moody, and just plain fwoar as he is, is completely my favorite so far.[/i]

If moody is what you're looking for, Nazagi is your answer. Though it's more of a holier-than-thou way, less of an antisocial way.

biscuit

#19 Postby biscuit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:14 am

Finally played Nazagi's route, and decided I still favor Callum.

I liked his route best because it combined both the sweet lovey-dovies (admittedly, between two somewhat aggressively competent people) and political intrigue aspects into one nice package, plus I like the tension between the two as their relationship develops.

Benazir

#20 Postby Benazir » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Nazagi's route is my fave. Unfortunately, the kiss between Nazagi and Maddie was too short... so I couldn't understand, it was pleasant to him or not... :?

firegirl957

#21 Postby firegirl957 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:35 am

For me Oscar and Callum are definitely my favourites. Funnily enough they were the ones I was hesitant to pursue but they pleasantly surprised me. I can't tell which of their happy ends I loved the most but you could say Callum's was the most fulfilling for everyone one while in Oscar's and Madeline's happy end it was the sweetest. Both are still equally good to me.

Phyllis

#22 Postby Phyllis » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:29 am

WARNING, possible slight spoilers ahead (for the unawares) but basically, I voted for Callum because I liked how he developed throughout the story and I just, generally, feel like he's the best match for our strong-willed Madeleine.

When I played the demo, I wasn't so keen on pursuing Callum's route. He was just so...plain...compared to the other princes and for the love of-! He tied up and placed a sword on Oscar's neck! (poor sweet boy, why would anyone do that to you?) When I got the game, his was the first route that I pursued. Might as well get it over with, I thought but then I fell in love with his character.

I especially liked how Madeleine is with Callum. Being Oscar's companion, Madeleine always have to be 'one step ahead' of Oscar. She has to know all these things that he needs to know and she has to be stronger to protect him from all possible dangers. But with Callum, I feel like they're both on equal footing...(okay, maybe not so equal...I mean, c'mon, the lady scales CASTLE WALLS like a walk in the park!). Callum recognizes her strength & intelligence and Madeline trusts him with her back in any battle. Instead of being constantly relied at, Callum is a person that she feels like she can rely on. I really, really like how they bring out the best in each other!

Of course, the amazing scenes on the prison and the 'prison guest room' totally didn't affect my vote. Totally...didn't...\(//∇//)\ Anyway, even though he is short-tempered & is overly-protective (and attached) of his younger...uh...Cassidy, the lonely and distant prince Callum who can manage to match Madeleine's wits, temper, and strength gets the 1st place in my heart.

Ramidel

#23 Postby Ramidel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:54 am

Am I the only one who actually dislikes Callum? He's a brooding, angsty teenager who thinks that hot blood and true brotherly love justify forcibly dragooning Madeleine and Oscar into his problems. Mind you, this is partially because I hate his route, but there's nothing really commendable about him (aside from the fact that he and Madeleine make a strong team) and the ease of falling into his route (he'll fall in wuv with Madeleine if she just treats him like a human being) kinda makes it worse.

On the positive side, Madeleine is awesome squared. She is not a romance-novel maiden who exists to be admired, possessed and stalked (even if Callum has a bit of the "if I just push her around enough, she'll love me" in him), she's a badass ninja maid and the brains behind whatever team she joins (and even in Nazagi's route, where she has the least agency, she's still a very important agent and a key figure in his ambition). Most otome games, you play to chase the guy (or girl as the case may be), but I play The Royal Trap because it lets me play as Madeleine and watch her cut through the intrigue, clear her name (sadly, she can't actually fight back against the King and Wisdom) and get her chosen prince on the throne. The romances (even Colette's romance!) are completely secondary to that.

jet0909

#24 Postby jet0909 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:32 pm

Ramidel wrote:Am I the only one who actually dislikes Callum? He's a brooding, angsty teenager who thinks that hot blood and true brotherly love justify forcibly dragooning Madeleine and Oscar into his problems.

No you aren't the only one. Though his route did become a bit enjoyable towards the middle-end I can't say that he's actually very likeable. He left a really bad impression when he took Oscar hostage. He just got worse when it was revealed that he was the one who took Cassidy. And while it was sad that his brother was taken from him, all I can see in him is a selfish prince who would force others just to get his way (I understand that he was raised that way, but come on, everyone went through difficult times, he was just the only one who lost it). Another reason I don't like Callum is because he's the only one I saw with the ugly scary face whenhe's angry.

My favorite is the Duke Pherod just because he showed that he was one of the good guys in Oscar's route. I took Oscar's route last since I didn't think I would enjoy Maddie with him too much but he didn't turn out so bad. It came as such a surprise when the Duke defended Cassidy and I was all like :shock: "My God he was that cool? Why isn't he one of the guys I could choose?" then I realised that he was married and that he had a kid. :( It was nice to see that he wasn't the stereotypical power hungry relative who would kill everyone on his way to power. I honestly didn't expect it and it was my favourite surprise throughout the whole story since all of the other routes just assumed that he was part of the plot against Cassidy.

I wish I could choose two since Nazagi is a very close second.

Okay, this post is just getting long but let me add a few things about Dolores. It isn't that I like or dislike her, but it is nice to see a character whose priorities were completely different from all the other characters. And she always says thing s as she sees them. It was a nice break when things were getting too deep.

Hazel

#25 Postby Hazel » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:24 pm

I get the appeal of characters like Callum, but he's definitely an out of control rage monster. That does not bode well for relationship stability.

Then again, I guess there's got to be one in every game. For some reason that's not really known to me.

Don't get me wrong, I played Callum's route first and ended up quite enjoying it. It evoked all the right sympathy buttons. But with a chillier, more critical eye, that dude has problems.

irinack

#26 Postby irinack » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Ryuuichi009 wrote:Callum.

He grew on me. And his CGs made me squee I won't lie. :oops:

I agree. I was like"OMG OMG OMG OMG" >.<

I pursued Nazagi first because I liked his mysterious aura. I expected much more from him though. I thought it was a bit rushed and he showed no signs of affection towards Maddie. Seriously, it may be realistic but at least in one ending I would have like some romance.
Leaving out Gaston, Callum was the last one I wanted to pursue. I mean seriously but I was still pleasantly surprised by his path. I didn't take the hostage thing seriously and his reasoning was right after all. I don't hate him, I LOVE him.

emi-chan74

#27 Postby emi-chan74 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:28 am

Ramidel wrote:Am I the only one who actually dislikes Callum? He's a brooding, angsty teenager who thinks that hot blood and true brotherly love justify forcibly dragooning Madeleine and Oscar into his problems. Mind you, this is partially because I hate his route, but there's nothing really commendable about him (aside from the fact that he and Madeleine make a strong team) and the ease of falling into his route (he'll fall in wuv with Madeleine if she just treats him like a human being) kinda makes it worse.

This is why I'm simultaneously hating and loving Callum. I love his intensity and the fact that he and Maddie are on equal footing once you leave the dungeon. He respects her but some things went too far. He's too eager for blood. And too willing to make others pay for something that wasn't their fault. His harshness to Dolores shows this. But loving her for treating him like a human being? Isn't that the whole point of his character?
While he's never been denied of a material need he's been denied love, affection and understanding. He's been denied his childhood. His brother was taken from him and he was never allowed to know the real reason why. He grew up knowing there was a sister he'd never met (or had but didn't know him). He was the son cast into the back room and forgotten. Some basic human interactions that treated him like a real person - that's what Callum needs and Maddie's the first person to give him that. Why wouldn't he fall in love with her?

To be honest I'd have to say that either Callum or Nazagi are my favorites. I prefer Nazagi's character and story but Callum's ending and Cutscenes just kill me. :oops:

Angharad

Prince Oscar!

#28 Postby Angharad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Oscar is such a kind-hearted and sweet young man. I love how he's so sincere and trustworthy! He's not as shrewd as Nazagi and macho like Callum, but he's brave and loyal, which I think is all the more important qualities in a man.

The CG for the wedding between Maddie and Oscar is so cute! It totally made my day! How can I have this pic for my desktop wallpaper? This is so yummy...

perch

#29 Postby perch » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:04 am

My favorite it Gaston. I don't get to see too many characters with his 'archetype' in general and he strongly reminds me of Alex Louis Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist so it's hard to resist him. He's just so adorably weird and cuddly.

Also Collette is a sweetheart.

For actual 'this guy/gal is smokin' hot' I'd have to say Callum's CGs were the best, but I liked Nazagi's character arc and happy ending more.

Ramidel

#30 Postby Ramidel » Thu May 23, 2013 11:54 pm

One honorable mention.

I really like how Dolores talks. She's really inspiringly vulgar, in the sense that Hanako had to write her dialogue without peppering it with curse words and took the chance to give her such delightful turns of phrase instead.

"They're trying to find out if you have a tail in front," indeed!

Return to “The Confines of the Crown”