Favorite character (spoilers!)

Swords, pistols, and palace intrigue - will you fight to save your prince?

Favorite character in The Royal Trap

Madeleine
24%
Oscar
13%
Cassidy
7%
Gaston
4%
Nazagi
14%
Callum
24%
Dolores
5%
Colette
7%
Someone else
2%

Total votes: 137

Blue Rose

#31 Postby Blue Rose » Fri May 24, 2013 7:45 am

Such a hard choice, but I have to go with Gaston. So magnificently camp and passionate, but the clincher is his happy ending. Such a sweet man. :D

AnnG

#32 Postby AnnG » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:40 am

spoiler
From all the visual novel games I have played I expected to enjoy Nazagi's route best, because he represents a certain type of stereotype which I have really enjoyed in many games. Oscar while being a very well developed character wasn't really much of a surprise, I would even call him a bit 2-dimensional in terms of personal characteristics. What I mean is that it was pretty obvious what kind of person he will proove to be from the bginning (he was still pretty charming though). I haven't play Gaston yet cause he seems damn boring but may be will give him a shot later.
That leads me to my favourite- Callum. As many of you have said he didn't appear very interesting initially- even a bit boring (I have had enough of the arrogant royal characters in visual novels). But the way the story developed was great- it was very smooth. The plot gradually explored Callum as a character making him more and more likeable.
I see that most people have voted for him. There are a many reasons why one would consider Callum's ending the best. As Madeleine isn't a typical character so isn't Callum. He combines a bit of Nazagi's mysterious aura and arrogance, Oscar's goals and warm heart and is also strong as Madeleine. He also seems to respect her and to find in her an equal partner. I was very pleasntely suprised by how events turned in his route.
And oh.. Nazagi's edning was so terrible- if she agress to be with him he lets her live, if she doesn't- he kills her. Really?!

Ramidel

#33 Postby Ramidel » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:14 am

He doesn't kill her, he knocks her out and uses a memory-erasing drug.

Nazagi is not a nice guy, that should be obvious from playing his route. If Madeleine doesn't agree with the scheme he's proposed (which involves quite a bit of secrecy and lying), she becomes a security risk to him, and he's not going to leave a loose end untied.

And Gaston's route isn't about Gaston, really. Gaston's just the big puppy dog, Madeleine's the actual faction leader.

AnnG

#34 Postby AnnG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Yeah, whatever really. You are most probably right, may be I skipped through the ending and didn't read carefully. However, that's a minor detail and it doesn't change much. Nazagi's route doesn't really present any "happy ending" at all. But that's not too bad- as you said he is obviously not a nice guy, therefore suddenly making him soft, caring and loveable will be a cliche.
And Nazagi and Gaston are not really incorporated in the plot. I mean, if you don't delibarately choose them you won't encounter them much throughout the rest of the story. While if you pick Oscar for example, you still encounter Cassidy, Callum and Dolores equally. May be that's why I am not too eager to play Gaston for now.

Ramidel

#35 Postby Ramidel » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:15 pm

Nazagi's route has an ending that's happy for the kind of person that would pursue him in the first place.

The only route where the romantic option comes out of left field after you've started the path is Gaston's.

Sjofn

Re:

#36 Postby Sjofn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:34 am

Hazel wrote:I should have realized no one would pick Dolores but me. I think she's a wonderful foil for Madeleine.

Don't worry, I picked her too. <3

Honestly, I really liked most of them, some more than I expected (Oscar, Callum and especially Cassidy ... Cass is probably my second favorite overall, really, and I didn't expect to care much about her at all!), some about as much as I expected (Gaston, Maddie), with only a few less than expected (Nazagi, for example, is just not at all my cup of tea ... but that's OK!).

LimaZulu

Re: Favorite character (spoilers!)

#37 Postby LimaZulu » Thu May 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Why is Callum so popular? Like, I get he's a romance option, but how we meet him cast a considerable pall on any and all future dealings with him. At best, he coerced me into entering a sacred blood pact by threatening to kill my best friend and charge. At worst, he coerced me into the aforementioned pact by threatening to kill my best friend, charge, and unrequitable love interest.

I don't see any room to forgive that. Can someone explain me a thing?

M3D34

#38 Postby M3D34 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:09 am

LimaZulu wrote:Why is Callum so popular? Like, I get he's a romance option, but how we meet him cast a considerable pall on any and all future dealings with him. At best, he coerced me into entering a sacred blood pact by threatening to kill my best friend and charge. At worst, he coerced me into the aforementioned pact by threatening to kill my best friend, charge, and unrequitable love interest.

I don't see any room to forgive that. Can someone explain me a thing?

*shrugs* Well, for me, I just simply didn't take it personally. His actions weren't prioritizing a need to turn me into his lifelong slave nor did he truly have any desire to assassinate Oscar for ambitious or petty reasons. Naturally if he had simply asked, I would have helped him out, but he had no guarantee that I would assist him, so he insured that guarantee through blackmail. Considering his upbringing I can understand his lack of trust in people and if I were in a similar situation I can't deny the possibility of resorting to underhanded or devious means to save someone I cared for deeply. Now if he went back on our deal that would be a whole other story.

Same thing goes for Nazagi, my second favorite character. I never held anything he did against him. It was always a part of a plan and he never went out of his way to abuse me. And I was totally cool with his ending. I never held ambitions for power, so neither would my Madeleine. "I" don't need to be queen, but "I" wouldn't mind being the mother of queens and kings even if they were led to believe another woman was their mother in order to ensure they wouldn't have to grow up starving in the streets. And I liked Nazagi as a character. I always had a thing for the intellectual types (along with the bad boys and the adorkables).

blushofspring

#39 Postby blushofspring » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:29 am

Callum, because I just can't resist a guy who uses a rough and tough exterior but to hide his soft sweet interior, like a chocolate truffle. Plus, he's a mega hottie. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Confines of the Crown”