Best stats to focus at the start

Rule the world - or die trying!
ark99k

Best stats to focus at the start

#1 Postby ark99k » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Let's face it, the beginning is the hardest. So let's make a list of things to focus on in the beginning so you survive:
Do Trade/trade
I'm going to report back after playing it again.
Edit: I just did a run when Elodie is an idiot, but she is pleasant to talk to and has great reflexes. I think Presence and court manners are some of the first things to work on.
★Shining like a star!★

Pokota

Re: Best stats to focus at the start

#2 Postby Pokota » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:55 pm

I think I just did that too; ended up in exile, which is an improvement for me as I usually get killed by the earl of thing when I manage to avoid Death By Chocolate.

I've been messing with the Early Lumen strategy, but as I've never actually tried upping my Lumen skills I think I'll try for my first run's Willful Spiral Elodie again. That one worked well up until Death By Chocolate, and I know a cheap way past it now.
Earl of Thing. Yep, that's definitely Kevan's title.

ark99k

#3 Postby ark99k » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Spoiler that stops the chocolate problem ----> Making Elodie's aunt your lumen minister. Magic and presence seem to be a winning combination.
★Shining like a star!★

somestrangecircus

#4 Postby somestrangecircus » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:56 pm

You could also make sure the person who's supposed to send you the chocolates is dead before that week.

Pokota

#5 Postby Pokota » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm

That solves one problem but if you're going for a Bardic Victory why would you skip over winning the Music contest at the festival and leaving yourself open to an attack by the Earl of Thing?

(Though why you'd go for a Bardic Victory when you're already lumen enough to bypass Death By Chocolate is beyond me)

Also it's really easy to get yourself stuck to where you never get a bonus to Royal Demeanor - Willful penalizes it, Depressed penalizes it, Afraid penalizes it, I think Angry penalizes it...

Tsunamiracle

#6 Postby Tsunamiracle » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:34 am

I've found that unless you can't afford to be Yielding (such as if you need Weapons/Lumen skills immediately or at very high numbers), it's a good safety net to put lessons into Royal Demeanor, especially Composure and/or Presence. It helps Elodie avoid or endure bad situations. That includes the chocolates -- with high numbers in Composure, Elodie will gain the option to leave the chocolates alone. Royal Demeanor won't save Elodie from every potentially fatal event, but it'll help a lot.

Barring that, Reflexes tend to be pretty nice, though they don't really kick in until mid-game, and usually they work best in combination with some other skill. Conversation, especially Court Manners, is also good for keeping people happy, and while it's not required, it helps deal with the issue of Kevan trying to kill Elodie.

Speaking of that incident... If you're trying to make Elodie into a sort of bard, then would it possible to squeeze in either 60 Lore or 90 Novan History? It would fit in with the theme of a bard, anyway, since they would have something to sing about. Assuming you can get to the party to Sudbury (which itself presents its own issues and its own solutions), either skill will let Elodie recognize the direction a particular conversation is going in. While she can talk this person down with Conversation skills, she can also tattle on her and avoid further checks. Briony won't be happy, but she'll live, and that means Kevan is (relatively) happy. The main issue would be planning enough time to get the minimum checks needed to get to that point.

Pokota

#7 Postby Pokota » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:35 am

If you're skipping Lumen for it, I can see you getting 60 lore pretty easily since Afraid boosts Faith and you're almost guaranteed to be afraid for weeks 3-4. Yielding is another one that's pretty easy to get stuck in as there are like three weekend activities that push it up while pushing down depression/loneliness.

Is it just me or is Pressured the absolute worst? So much effort to get it, too little benefit for getting it.

Of all the things that can stop Death By Chocolate, I didn't remember Composure being one of them. It totally is though. Dogs, Production, and Court Manners have all saved me at different points just to see me get killed by the earl of thing. I think it's because Composure is another one that I tend to neglect even when I get the mind to push Royal Demeanor.

Return to “Long Live The Queen”