What sort of person is Alice?

Rule the world - or die trying!
ark99k

What sort of person is Alice?

#1 Post by ark99k » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:46 am

I give her flowers (sure they were from another woman), but she only accepts them if I'm cruel. "It would be improper." It's improper to take them if I'm nice, but everything is alright if I kick puppies? I don't understand why I have to be mean in order to romance her, but I have to be nice and trusting if I want to end with Evrard. What type of person is Alice? Also, why can't I give her things without them being a gift from another, or dance slowly with her without trying to embarrass her?
★Shining like a star!★

hanako
Site Admin

Re: What sort of person is Alice?

#2 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:50 am

If a wicked, maniacal, puppy-kicking queen who can have you flogged or worse if she's not pleased with you tries to give you flowers... are you going to reject them?

Shogeton

#3 Post by Shogeton » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:45 am

Yeah, as I read her, Alice seems to try to do things 'properly', and getting into a relation with her queen is very much NOT proper, as well as particularly dangerous to her, since the power dynamics in such a relation are several kinds of f up. Which is another reason why dancing with Alice is a cruel action for example. She has no real ability to deny you in such a situation.

A nice Elodie would respect that, and thus doesn't romance her. A cruel Elodie more or less terrorizes her into accepting her. Because a cruel Elodie fully embraces the messed-up ness of that kind of relationship. And Alice eventually accepts it as her lot in life. Because she is a meek and submissive person. The 'relation' with Alice is more of a mistress/slave thing then a relation between equals. Honestly, this cruel Elodie is likely to take some shades of Hyacinth.

Evrard, on the other hand, doesn't care much about 'proper' ways, and is not at all meek, so cruelty would just make him decide that 'welp, I'm out'

All of this, my own interpreation of course.

11tw

#4 Post by 11tw » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Not to be rude, but I've always thought that Alice was a bit of a two-faced b****. If you do anything, ANYTHING improper in front of her (get angry, apologize when you shouldn't, be afraid of assassins) she apparently tells every commoner she knows about it. How is that fair? You, a 14 year old girl who has just lost her mother and are taking on a huge responsibility, are subject to the gossipy ways of this horrible woman! Basically every fall in Commoner approval is linked to Alice disliking your actions, when a royal maid should make discretion their primary concern... just annoys me is all. Not saying it isn't realistic (servants gossiped) but it does annoy me that she portrays herself as meek and unassuming and just tells everyone what you are doing behind your back.

Shogeton

#5 Post by Shogeton » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Maids gossip, it's one of those things. Where do you think we're getting all our juicy intrigue from after all? And the issue is that you are a 14 year old girl with the power of life and death over everyone in the kingdom. If you seem to be incapable of dealing with that, that's very much something that would affect Alice and everyone she knows. Besides, some of those things Elodie does are not exactly the stuff I can blame Alice for talking. Getting flogged for bumping into her? Forcing her to dance with her in a humiliating and dangerous way? I don't think apologizing actually lowers your commoner's approval. Only when you're actually cruel towards Alice does that story spread, as it very well should. But that is what those weak and powerless do. If she wasn't meek, she'd tell you things to her face. (See: Alice's brother.) Of course Alice will not call you out to your face. That is suicide.

There is the 'not being present at the Festival' thing, but that's more of a 'everyone notices the Princess is not present at the most important religious holiday of the year' thing.

hanako
Site Admin

#6 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:11 pm

11tw wrote:Basically every fall in Commoner approval is linked to Alice disliking your actions
This is not true.

Many of them are things Alice doesn't necessarily even know about.

(No comment on whether she gossips or not, just correcting the fact there.)