Inheritance Question

Rule the world - or die trying!
Shogeton

Inheritance Question

#1 Post by Shogeton » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:13 pm

You know, I was just reading a Let's Play, and I just noticed something. If you have Brin executed for starting the war, her brother Bennet inherits as Duke of Hellas. However, if Bannion later gets himself executed or killed in a duel, it's said that his brother Bennet will inherit the title of Duke of Maree. Is that possible, considering one man would be a double Duke? Or is that a case of 'well, nobody else can' Or just an oversight?

silentheartsong

Re: Inheritance Question

#2 Post by silentheartsong » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:55 am

Presumably in this situation there would in fact be no one else to inherit, since neither Banion nor Brin have children. I think it's said that you can inherit two titles (as long as one isn't King/Queen), but it's not preferable since that would put one person with too much power. Don't quote me on that, though.

Shogeton

#3 Post by Shogeton » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Actually, I just did a playthrough where I did just this, and Bennet is marked as 'Duke of Hellas' with Bannion still marked as 'alive'. Might be an oversight?

Mir

#4 Post by Mir » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:59 pm

I asked this question a while back and the text actually says that Maree will pass to "the offspring of his brother Bennett". So, Anciet. It's easy to misread.

Shogeton

#5 Post by Shogeton » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Oh, d'uh, reread the logs and you're right. that makes me feel dumb. Only small note then would be that Bennet's info-thing has some false information. But that's probably Beta stuff then, since that conversation is new with the beta.

Presumably, that would mean that either Bennet and Lieke do their best to create another child, which might be difficult considering Lieke's not the youngest, or Bennet would need to remarry (Lieke is no stranger to strategic divorcing) or Hellas would fall to the Crown or some unknown cousins upon Bennet's death. Which would mean Lieke would likely be the regent for Anciet, since Bennet would normally not be allowed (two neighbouring Duchies under the same person)