NEW BETA UPDATE!!! Details within! - 1.3 - January 2015

Rule the world - or die trying!
Mir

Re: NEW BETA UPDATE!!! Details within! - 1.3 - January 2015

#136 Post by Mir » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:25 pm

Gamer wrote:Can anyone please tell me how I can romance and dump multiple guys in the game?

I also think I discovered a bug. I invited my fiance Talarist to the gala. When Banion asked me to dance and I was about to accept, Talarist interjected. Nevertheless, in the next scene it appears that Banion and I are engaged and I publicly broke off my engagement to Talarist.
I just tried this, too (I originally just had a save file to see what would happen but never followed up) and same thing. Despite Talarist telling off Banion and no cuckoldry happening, Elodie is still engaged to Banion next week (and Talarist is still demanding tribute in week 19).

Edit: Redacted.
Last edited by Mir on Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hanako
Site Admin

#137 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:39 pm

You guys really need to stop trying to guess what causes things based on their placement in the script, because that is highly unlikely to be meaningful in the way that you think it is. Things that might happen at similar times, if totally different sets of conditions are met beforehand, do not necessarily have the slightest connection to each other.

Make guesses based on things you've actually seen happen, not text that you've never seen and have no idea what triggers, or if it's even in the game at all! :)

... I am now tempted to start throwing random lines that never actually happen into the script just to confuse decompilers.

Mir

#138 Post by Mir » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:59 pm

I'm sorry.
(I did manage to get the message, triggered by something completely different.)

hanako
Site Admin

#139 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:01 pm

.... aww, that I'm sorry coupled with the sad Elodie face...

*offers consolation chocolates*

skydragonwings

#140 Post by skydragonwings » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:29 pm

Is it intentional that if you're engaged to Talarist but choose to dance with someone else at the gala anyway (meaning you didn't invite him), you don't get the option to pick your dance partner by name? I have high enough stats to pass the test for it according to the wiki, but nothing about an Intrigue/Court Manners test is popping up at all before it takes me to the list with vague descriptions of possible dance partners. The Court Manners test to wonder if it's a good idea to dance with someone else is still there, and I'm passing it.

hanako
Site Admin

#141 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:55 pm

It's neither intentional nor unintentional - it was originally overlooked, but I've known about it for a while and been uncertain whether I should change it. Being already engaged could disrupt the mental calculations, after all.

cyberdelika

#142 Post by cyberdelika » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:12 pm

hanako wrote:You guys really need to stop trying to guess what causes things based on their placement in the script, because that is highly unlikely to be meaningful in the way that you think it is....Make guesses based on things you've actually seen happen, not text that you've never seen and have no idea what triggers, or if it's even in the game at all! :)
Duly noted!
feel free to add me on steam
GRABINER FOREVER <3

skydragonwings

#143 Post by skydragonwings » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:19 pm

hanako wrote:It's neither intentional nor unintentional - it was originally overlooked, but I've known about it for a while and been uncertain whether I should change it. Being already engaged could disrupt the mental calculations, after all.
Fair enough. I might vote in favor of changing it, but that's probably mostly because I enjoy making the world around me bow to my will with my mastery of intrigue. The distracting engagement explanation works well too, though, so I could see it either way.

skydragonwings

#144 Post by skydragonwings » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Are there conditions you need to fulfill to have the opportunity to suggest a compromise and get Arisse as your advisor? I'm in the civil war (without a hostage) and the diplomat is showing up to negotiate on Week 30, but my only options are to surrender or refuse. The wiki doesn't seem to say that you need to do anything to get the "suggest compromise" option. Am I failing to trigger something, or was this changed for the beta? Is asking at the party the only way to get Arisse to become your advisor now?

Edit: okay, I went back and attended the party first, but Arisse always managed not to talk to me. Is that an indication that noble approval isn't low enough? Because civil war is still breaking out the next week.

The events leading up to the war were basically like this: I was engaged to Talarist, then I broke it off with him for Banion (passing the Court Manners checks to do it deliberately). I failed basically every other skill check at the gala so the nobles didn't like me. I sent Adair to his grandfather. I had Sabine investigate Arisse, and she said Arisse was mostly upset about losing Adair and didn't necessarily have a lot of support. I'm guessing that's normally the indication that she's just sending out feelers and there won't be a war? But then when Adair died, I appointed a random commoner as his successor, which I would think is what upset people enough to trigger the civil war anyway. But Arisse still wouldn't talk to me at the party. And I still don't have the compromise option when war breaks out.

hanako
Site Admin

#145 Post by hanako » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:35 pm

If you're already engaged, Arisse's representative doesn't bring up the subject of marrying Thaddeus, and therefore 'suggest compromise' isn't an option at that particular negotiation.

You can't talk to her at the party because things weren't bad enough for you to write her that letter beforehand (there would not have been a civil war if Adair hadn't died). Of course, even if you had written her a letter beforehand, getting Adair killed would cause her to retract her willingness to talk to you.

skydragonwings

#146 Post by skydragonwings » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:47 pm

Ah, got it. (And got the three-engagements-and-a-breakup thing.)

I was having trouble thinking of more ways to get noble approval down without giving Adair to his grandfather. I never realized before that sending Adair to Armand was that upsetting to the nobles in general.

Also, I'm starting to wish I could make Arisse my advisor in week 1, based on her assistance with investigating the chocolates and the Briony incident (and therefore the potential Kevan incident). Although, now that I've said that, I'd kind of like to see Arisse's reaction to Kevan attempting to murder her pawn right in front of her.

Spiky Caterpillar

1.3.14.159 up

#147 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:53 am

Player-visible changes: New checklist items added; menu option now reads 'Mention betrothal to Talarist' rather than 'Mention betrothal to Sedna'.

(Behind the scenes, there's a joystick tweak because my deadzone debugging caused the Ren'Py launcher to crash in the event anyone breathed near an analogue joystick, but that wouldn't have affected LLtQ players because LLtQ already had a separate fix for that.)

Hopefully this is the final final patch for a while! Check it for fire.

11tw

#148 Post by 11tw » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:47 pm

The Beta update is amazing!
My favorite bits so far;
kiss with Adair is adorable
summoning Julianna to help with the demonic madman is brilliant; first time the game has shocked me in a while!

11tw

#149 Post by 11tw » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:06 pm

As a side note; I still have no idea how to achieve the following:
- the dumping two guys, going on to a 3rd, going back to the 2nd events...
- deliberately choosing Arisse as your advisor
- poisoning a chicken
- imprisoned your uncle (which uncle? Lucille's husband, or your father's brother?)

Measured

#150 Post by Measured » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:40 pm

There's several skill checks if you try to speak up when Talarist and Banion are sniping at each other, and slightly different results depending on which ones you passed and failed. To get that particular outcome, you need to fail the Internal Affairs check but pass the Foreign Intelligence check.
Ah, thanks! I didn't think it would refer to failing the stat check, so I just assumed that it sounded like cruel!Elodie and I needed a higher cruelty stat to get it.