Is there a way to extract the dialogue from the game?

Rule the world - or die trying!
Error

Is there a way to extract the dialogue from the game?

#1 Post by Error » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:58 pm

I have a piece of LLTQ fanfiction knocking around my head, but to do it right I need more insight into those characters that haven't shown up much in my own playthroughs. Is there a simple way to extract the game's text?

I figure I could try to get all possible scenes in-game, or try to dig in to the rpyc files. I haven't had success with the files yet. They don't seem to be importable into a regular Python interpreter, which I suppose shouldn't surprise me even if it does seem to use a python dialect. On the other hand, exhaustively searching the game for scenes I've missed would be lengthy and likely to (still) miss things. Plus it wouldn't be entirely pleasant. I like the game. Some story paths hurt to follow. These two things are not unrelated. ;-)

Before putting a lot more effort in, I thought I would ask if anyone has already found a way to do this.

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to extract the dialogue from the game?

#2 Post by hanako » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Have you looked at the tools designed to help people make translations? There should be string dumps in there, although they're sort of hard to make sense of without the game context to show you where each line is being used and why.

Error

#3 Post by Error » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:01 am

Hrm. That's not ideal, but I think it's good enough. It shows who is saying what, and that's what I mostly wanted. My thanks.

I gather your word is the local Word of God, so I might as well ask: Is Brin supposed to be 33? She doesn't look it, but I could swear I saw that in her in-game profile, and it's not where I expected to find it in her profile in the sample translation. [Edit: Scratch that, I played through to a scene with her in it and checked, and it does show her as 33. I'm still not sure if it's a typo; Elodie reacts with surprise to Banion flirting with her (noting that at 31 he's old enough to be her father) but there's no sign it matters to her with Brin. My Elodie has only ended up with those two and Talarest.]

While it's not relevant, I'm surprised at how few lines some characters have. Some of the marriage options don't have speaking parts at all, if I'm reading this right. Challenging.

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Post by hanako » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:41 am

Brin is older than Banion, yes. The other female options are closer to Elodie's age.

(As for why Elodie never particularly thinks about the age - limited interaction, generally being more focused on the 'bigger' issue of gender, and Brin doesn't exactly schmooze on her in the way that Banion does.)

Error

#5 Post by Error » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:19 am

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.