Happy Ending for Everyone

Rule the world - or die trying!
Magnificate

Happy Ending for Everyone

#1 Post by Magnificate » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:10 pm

I'm setting out to get the best possible ending. Let me know whether I'm missing something:

NOVA:
1. Nova loses no territories and gains Sedna.
2. Good relations with Talasse.
3. Good relations with Shanjia.
4. Alliance with Ixion.
5. Printing Press funded.
6. Hospital funded.
7. Both commoner and noble approval is high.
8. No issues with internal instability or banditry or stifled trade or empty treasury.
9. Old Forest is being cleared.
10. Elodie pushes for education in Nova. (I'm pretty sure 9 and 10 are mutually exclusive. Which one is better?)

CHARACTERS:
1. Elodie is happily married.
2. Joslyn is alive and unharmed. (I'm not sure whether I would consider Joslyn/Sirin or Joslyn/Brin to be happier endings than Joslyn not remarrying. Opinions?)
3. Charlotte is alive and Elodie's friend.
4. Lucille is alive and Elodie's lumen minister.
5. Julianna is alive and free to express her feelings.
6. Banion & Brin are alive. (I'm not sure whether the political Status Quo or Bennet as Duke should be considered a better ending. Opinions?)
7. Kevan is alive and assured that justice was served at the trial.
8. Briony is alive and reconciled with her mother.
9. Arisse is alive.
10. Adair is alive. (I'm not sure whether giving him to Adele is substantially better than giving him to Armand. Opinions?)

4Dam-Ghost-Nappa

Re: Happy Ending for Everyone

#2 Post by 4Dam-Ghost-Nappa » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:11 am

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get the High Lumen Approval Happy ending for Julianna and Selene without defeating Togami in the duel, which requires angering Togami's wife in Shaninja.

zonohedron

#3 Post by zonohedron » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Magnificate wrote: NOVA:
1. Nova loses no territories and gains Sedna.
4. Alliance with Ixion.
9. Old Forest is being cleared.
10. Elodie pushes for education in Nova. (I'm pretty sure 9 and 10 are mutually exclusive. Which one is better?)

CHARACTERS:
2. Joslyn is alive and unharmed. (I'm not sure whether I would consider Joslyn/Sirin or Joslyn/Brin to be happier endings than Joslyn not remarrying. Opinions?)
6. Banion & Brin are alive. (I'm not sure whether the political Status Quo or Bennet as Duke should be considered a better ending. Opinions?)
10. Adair is alive. (I'm not sure whether giving him to Adele is substantially better than giving him to Armand. Opinions?)
N1. I don't think Nova can actually gain Sedna. Marrying Talarist means one of Elodie's children is likely to inherit it (but that might be problematic too, if the Sednans don't want a half-Novan duke).
N4. I think N1 and N4 are mutually exclusive; you cannot ally with Ixion without ceding the disputed area, as far as I know.
N9/10. I think education is better; it benefits more people than just those too close to the Old Forest, and it leaves the Old Forest as a symbol of what can go wrong with misuse of magic. (Also, if education is the theme of Elodie's reign, her heir, or perhaps her father's heir, can consider the Old Forest the project of that reign.)

C2. Joslyn/Brin is concocted to cover that Joslyn doesn't want to remarry and Brin doesn't want to marry a man, but since it will provide a heir for Caloris (so that Armand can concentrate on providing one for Mazomba!) and keep either of them from being hassled to marry, it may be better than Joslyn not remarrying, and is certainly better than Joslyn/Sirin.
C6. Deposing either of them isn't great for relations with whichever duchy is involved. (It might also make it look like you're trying to give Gwenelle's stepfather a position because Gwenelle's your friend.)
C10. I tend to think it's better to name Adele his regent; his father is pretty convinced that that's the better course of action, unless he thinks you want to marry Adair. He seems to have fun in Mazomba, and it might be better for him to be shadowing a duke so he can learn more about running one, but choosing Adele signals to the other nobles that you're paying attention to them and are likely to come up with good solutions to their problems if they ask.

Magnificate

#4 Post by Magnificate » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:43 pm

zonohedron wrote:N1. I don't think Nova can actually gain Sedna. Marrying Talarist means one of Elodie's children is likely to inherit it (but that might be problematic too, if the Sednans don't want a half-Novan duke).
Possibly. Then again, Elodie specifically mentions Talarist becoming her subject. That implies Sedna changes allegiance.
zonohedron wrote:N4. I think N1 and N4 are mutually exclusive; you cannot ally with Ixion without ceding the disputed area, as far as I know.
You can offer them an alliance against Terrax.

zonohedron

#5 Post by zonohedron » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Magnificate wrote:
zonohedron wrote:N4. I think N1 and N4 are mutually exclusive; you cannot ally with Ixion without ceding the disputed area, as far as I know.
You can offer them an alliance against Terrax.
How? I can threaten to ally with Terrax against them, but I can't offer to ally with them against Terrax, as far as I know.

Edit: also, Talarist becomes Elodie's subject if (and as far as I can tell, only if) he becomes the Duke of Elath, in which case it appears that the duchy of Sedna goes to his heir; Elodie even says something like 'let the King of Talasse find an new duke', I think. And in any event, he only becomes the Duke of Elath if Adair has been killed.

hanako
Site Admin

#6 Post by hanako » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:29 pm

Sedna does not change allegiance during the game period.

As mentioned, you can make Talarist your subject, but that involves getting him to renounce his claim on Sedna. Now, it's possible that closer Elath-Sedna ties might make it easier to expand your territory later.... Or it might make it easier for you to LOSE your territory later.

Magnificate

#7 Post by Magnificate » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:59 pm

OK, I'll cross out the "gain Sedna".

The same goes for the "alliance with Ixion".

However, I seem to remember there exist an ending with Elodie maxing-out medicine after the opportunity to fund the hospital has passed. In that ending Ixion gets the hospital and trades with Nova for rare herbs. I don't remember the exact wording, so it might not have been an alliance after all.
4Dam-Ghost-Nappa wrote:I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get the High Lumen Approval Happy ending for Julianna and Selene without defeating Togami in the duel, which requires angering Togami's wife in Shaninja.
Indeed, that does seem to be the case. This choice seems to be relatively straightforward, relations with Shaninja are more important.
zonohedron wrote:C2. Joslyn/Brin is concocted to cover that Joslyn doesn't want to remarry and Brin doesn't want to marry a man, but since it will provide a heir for Caloris (so that Armand can concentrate on providing one for Mazomba!) and keep either of them from being hassled to marry, it may be better than Joslyn not remarrying, and is certainly better than Joslyn/Sirin.
Joslyn/Brin is most likely loveless. Joslyn/Sirin is also most likely loveless. However in my view Joslyn/Sirin has more potential, since Brin is actually Elodie's love interest.

BTW, is N10 possible to acquire if Elodie is a Lumen?

zonohedron

#8 Post by zonohedron » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:17 pm

Magnificate wrote:
zonohedron wrote:C2. Joslyn/Brin is concocted to cover that Joslyn doesn't want to remarry and Brin doesn't want to marry a man, but since it will provide a heir for Caloris (so that Armand can concentrate on providing one for Mazomba!) and keep either of them from being hassled to marry, it may be better than Joslyn not remarrying, and is certainly better than Joslyn/Sirin.
Joslyn/Brin is most likely loveless. Joslyn/Sirin is also most likely loveless. However in my view Joslyn/Sirin has more potential, since Brin is actually Elodie's love interest.
Joslyn/Brin is not a romantic pairing - they're not each other's love interest - but that doesn't make it loveless; someone marrying him because he is Duke of Caloris, the widow of Queen Fidelia, the father of Queen Elodie, is no more likely to be in love with him, and IMO Joslyn/Brin is more likely to end up friendly/affectionate. (And as for Brin, she has to produce an heir for Hellas at some point, too.)

We know divorce happens in Nova, and it doesn't seem heavily stigmatized, so if Joslyn were to end up meeting someone whom he does have a romantic interest in, he and Brin could divorce; from the epilogue where they marry, though, it doesn't seem like that happens.

Heartland

#9 Post by Heartland » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:11 pm

I too am trying to figure how to get the best possible endings for everyone or almost everyone

myling

Re: Happy Ending

#10 Post by myling » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:24 pm

What makes Joslyn happy being alone or trapped in marriage ? I think Siren is a gold digger and Brin is your lover....i heard he can marry a priestess and they have a baby.wouldnt that make him happy but that requries a earthquake which makes everyone esle unhappy
I think there no way for everyone to become happy in one game play .

Tsunamiracle

#11 Post by Tsunamiracle » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:28 pm

True -- I can't think of a way to improve Lumen opinion without burning bridges with Shanjia. It's possible to win the naval battle and do one of the new pro-Lumen events to get the same Everyone Loves Lumens ending. In this case, Togami lives and escapes to Shanjia, but financial and political troubles make rebuilding the warfleet slow. It's still not a good ending, but it's at least better than Junko sending decapitated heads to Nova. Maybe we can say Togami invades a second time off-screen and Elodie talks him down, I dunno. That's probably cheating.

I always got the feeling that all of Joslyn's potential marriages are done out of obligation, as two of them happen if he's put under extra pressure and the third involves someone who herself has problems with marrying, so none of the women are really better than the others in terms of how much love is in the marriage, at least not from what the limited POV tells us. (Hey, for all we know, Elodie might be wrong about Sirin's intentions.) The priestess only comes into the picture if Caloris is destabilized, though, so she can't be part of a golden ending.

Since the Sirin marriage seems to happen if Elodie does some marriage shenanigans of her own... Maybe Brin should marry the Ixionite (with Elodie advising her to get a divorce once the child is born), and Joslyn ends up with Sirin? That way Brin and Joslyn get their heirs, and Sirin gets her status boost. We never get to see how Ixion reacts to this loophole abuse, though, but since they don't invade or anything, I assume it wasn't too bad.

(On the other hand, I get this feeling that he personally might be happier with Brin, unless the idea of being legally married to his daughter's not-so-secret lover is too weird for him; Brin probably won't have any desire to be as loved as Fidelia was, so aside from the matter of heirs and keeping up appearances they probably won't have to struggle through physical affection they don't want to go through with. Of course, I don't think Joslyn absolutely needs to be married, especially if it conflicts with anyone else's interests. Him staying unmarried so that Elodie can have a not-so-secret poly relationship with Banion and Brin is also fine, especially since if Brin doesn't have the Ixion-Nova child, she'll adopt Banion's son for her own heir -- although I suspect that she considers that by default anyway and it's just never noted if both siblings aren't relevant to the ending.)

The biggest problem seems to be getting all the skills required...? There are just so many high-level checks needed, especially if you go the naval battle route, and in a lot of places there's no room for error: Right now I'm trying to think of how to raise Lumen opinion AND win the naval battle AND hire Lucille. And that's on top of somehow getting enough skills to help Kevan and Briony.

Tsunamiracle

#12 Post by Tsunamiracle » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:33 pm

Hm... Apologies for the double post, but I would like to know any opinions on this. I'm doing testing, and right now the first handful of weeks are giving me trouble, even if I DO cut major, hospital-shaped corners. Here's my plan right now, spoiled to be safe since a lot of this is recent stuff:

* Put Julianna in jail temporarily so that Charlotte can heal Elodie, then release Julianna afterward
* Have enough skills for the printing press
* Wear the necklace, threaten the Ixionites with it, and get engaged to Talarist (alternatives can happen depending on how much Court Manners and Presence Elodie has at certain key points)
* Use Internal Affair and Court Manners to appease Kevan
* Unlock Lumen powers quickly, but don't train yet. No time!
* Somehow manage to get 80 Meditation in time to talk to Julianna before the ball and unlock the letter to Charlotte, which in turn unlocks a conversation with Lucille
* SKIP THE HOSPITAL?? My reasoning for why this can be skipped is that if your highest category at the end is Medicine and you didn't build any hospitals, you find out that Ixion has invested in them. Elodie takes this as a chance to trade medical herbs to Ixion in exchange for knowledge. It can be assumed that the health system in Nova will quickly improve thanks to this, and it also gives something of an alliance to Ixion without having to give up Banion's territory. (Which, to be fair, I'm still tempted to do in preparation for the naval battle, but I haven't gotten that far yet and don't know if it's necessary.)

I'm not really sure what I can drop. I'm barely getting by as it is switching clothing when needed... This was my last attempt, and I'm just not sure where to go from here. Any ideas? My issue might be mood optimization, since I haven't kept track of that closely.

For what it's worth, it seems like early game is the hardest part? After this, the focus would be on Lore, Lumen, a bit of Intrigue, anything related to the naval battle, and then max Medicine for the final slide. I think there should be enough time for all of that once the gala is cleared. Maybe.

(and here I thought it was hard enough trying to figure out how to go to war with as many countries as possible in the ending... which i did figure out because i'm a horrible, horrible person.)

Mir

#13 Post by Mir » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:58 am

Tsunamiracle wrote:I always got the feeling that all of Joslyn's potential marriages are done out of obligation, as two of them happen if he's put under extra pressure and the third involves someone who herself has problems with marrying, so none of the women are really better than the others in terms of how much love is in the marriage, at least not from what the limited POV tells us. (Hey, for all we know, Elodie might be wrong about Sirin's intentions.) The priestess only comes into the picture if Caloris is destabilized, though, so she can't be part of a golden ending.
I think this is a really good point about his marriages (and might be a reason why I'd prefer him with Brin over the others, though we don't know how well Sirin or the priestess works out as a marriage). I agree that Brin wouldn't want to be loved like Fidelia was, and him being married to her would prevent him from being approached by other women. It also allows Brin to be close to Elodie and gives both of them heirs, so it's win-win. ....Assuming of course, as you said, he doesn't find being married to his daughter's girlfriend too weird. :p
Tsunamiracle wrote:I'm not really sure what I can drop. I'm barely getting by as it is switching clothing when needed... This was my last attempt, and I'm just not sure where to go from here. Any ideas? My issue might be mood optimization, since I haven't kept track of that closely.
Let's see... You're still trying to do a military victory and solve things for Briony and Kevan, correct? And get as many alliances as possible...

You're using Presence to get into the treasury, from what I can see. You can also get in there with 60 Accounting, and you need 25 in both Trade and Production to get Accounting that high, so you could potentially get the printing press on your way to get into the vault and just ignore Royal Demeanor completely. HOWEVER, the problem with ignoring Presence is that it can lead you to failing checks at the ball, lowering your noble approval and making civil war more likely. Do you need to make Ixion angry to get the ending with the herbs? (I've heard of that slide but I've never gotten it.) If not, you could just appease them with a payment - you should have enough economics skills to pay them half of what they owe (and if you have 60 accounting, you can raise taxes on week 19 to make up some of what you paid...though the problem is that your treasury isn't going to be too terribly full at the end, though you shouldn't be broke either).

How important is making things go right on week 13 for you? The problem with that one is that you need 60 Court Manners (or 50 with the dress), so you need to raise ALL of your conversation skills to 25 or higher first, which is going to be difficult with trying to get up meditation. Of course, if your goal is just talking to Lucille and not tying into the previous Charlotte cutscene, you can hold off on Lore and just work on Lumen, getting that to 80. Unfortunately, ignoring Faith for the time being means you'll miss on sending Adair to Adele, if that's important to you. The good news is that you don't need to talk to Briony until week 28, so you have time to bring up Lore to 60 for that if that's the only use for Faith you absolutely need. Magic can help on the military battle (Wield Magic 60?) so you start building that up while trying to get Lucille.

Do you want Sabine? How about agents? You can actually win the Naval battle without recruiting soldiers via the printing press or allying with Ixion, so you can just print pro-Lumen propaganda. You need to recruit soldiers at every other opportunity (weeks 32 and 34) and get some naval warships built on week 24 (which can be done by sending your agents abroad or having a very very high Trade+Logistics score that week, so you'd immediately want to start building military asap for that). You need to have Military as high as possible and I've found passing that Climbing check can make or break you when you're at sea. Also, magic.

When you're cheerful for climbing, you can at least build up conversation to unlock the option to ask Briony about her family life. And when are you going to find time for herbs... This is tough. But surrendering Imbrium to Ixion is a massive hit to both commoner and noble popularity, making it harder to avoid civil war or a rebellion (someone on steam did report getting a naval victory and a peasant rebellion in the same game - that's rare but apparently it's possible).

Is any of this helpful?

Tsunamiracle wrote:(and here I thought it was hard enough trying to figure out how to go to war with as many countries as possible in the ending... which i did figure out because i'm a horrible, horrible person.)
...I-is it possible to have bad relations in the ending with more countries than Shanjia, Talasse, and Ixion? I've heard you can make things bad with Pyrias (or was it Tombula?) but I can't think of how to achieve such a thing, if that's even possible.

hanako
Site Admin

#14 Post by hanako » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:06 am

You can have problems with Tombula.

Mir

#15 Post by Mir » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:12 am

Awesome. I gotta figure out how to do that. Thank you!