Why are different OS versions sold separately?

Rule the world - or die trying!
Yagoth

Why are different OS versions sold separately?

#1 Post by Yagoth » Sun May 18, 2014 12:23 am

Why are different OS version sold separately? Steam does it together.

I could just purchase the Steam version, but I prefer to avoid Steam because they don't give real ownership of games and they reduce the amount of money that goes to developers.

I run several flavors of Linux alongside windows and I would like to be able to play LLTQ on what ever operating system/computer I am on at the time with a minimum of extra work.

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Why are different OS versions sold separately?

#2 Post by hanako » Sun May 18, 2014 2:06 am

I run several flavors of Linux alongside windows and I would like to be able to play LLTQ on what ever operating system/computer I am on at the time with a minimum of extra work.
You already can; the license key will let you upgrade from a demo to a full on any platform. For that matter with a direct license key you can also get a free steam key and use THEIR system to, if you're having trouble upgrading, and if all else fails I can provide manual downloads for other OSes.

The versions are sold separately because most people only want to download one version which behaves as expected for their operating system, and the vendor backend doesn't have simple tools to allow people to select the version they want to download. Nobody wants to download a zip of all three versions and have to unpack that to find the right one.

Building our own custom system to serve files has been in the stack of things-to-do-eventually for ages but since we already have multiple other methods of addressing the issue and there are always a thousand more important things to do, haven't yet gotten around to it.

Hazelnut

#3 Post by Hazelnut » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:29 pm

I tried to do this, and it didn't work. I purchased the Windows version and then tried to upgrade a Linux demo install. It couldn't contact updates.spikycatapillar.com - any idea what was wrong?

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Post by hanako » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:21 pm

If it couldn't contact the host then there was likely a transitory net connection issue somewhere between you and the host - try again later?