Yuki

Extra Credits

#1 Post by Yuki » Wed May 14, 2014 4:00 pm

James from Extra Credits recommends Long Live the Queen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mnJP7LBeeE

Spandex Faffy

Re: Extra Credits

#2 Post by Spandex Faffy » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 pm

I like the bit where he misses the point and says it all boils down to a memorisation exercise when there are a ton of hidden paths and stuff and plenty of ways to beat the game and a lot of fun comes from the "i wonder if I could win with x skill" (where x is an interesting skill). But it is always nice to see awesome games get recognition.

Mmeaninglessnamee

Re: Extra Credits

#3 Post by Mmeaninglessnamee » Sun May 25, 2014 6:18 am

I wouldn't say he missed the point entirely, just one of the points. From other's LP's and my own experiences, the game goes in two distinct phases. Until you beat the game for the first time, it is somewhat about memorization, especially for two key events. The chocolates catch everyone off guard, and the next playthrough(s) you hopefully remember which stats you failed at and grind those. (I've never seen anyone play with notifications off, except for one group-let's-play.) Then, you find out you'll be invaded in the (almost) endgame, probably fail, and then next run grind the skills you'll think you'd need for a military. Eventually, you win. (maybe) Overall, the first times through you don't know enough to know how you're screwing up, but you do recognize what seems to be correct and repeat it.
Then, after beating the game, you poke around to see what else you can do. How can you win BETTER? This phase really uses MORE memorization than before. (grinding similar runs for the 'best' outcome instead of random shot-in-the-dark changes)

Umm, I've wandered a bit from my original point here.
tl;dr James is right when he claims there's a lot of memorization in the game. He might have missed the point, but it's there.