Winning the Naval battle (spoiler kind of)

Rule the world - or die trying!
BrudeHaunter

Winning the Naval battle (spoiler kind of)

#1 Post by BrudeHaunter » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26 pm

I've done multiple playthroughs so far, and I was told by a friend that you can crush Togami's navy if you have a powerful enough navy. I decided to try this, and from the beginning worked on nothing else but my military power. After maxing out all of the military stats and getting a fair amount of power as a Lumen, the navy battle came up. However, I could not win. I had sufficient enough Wielding power to pass the Wielding Test, but my Wielding power wasn't maxed out. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't have any Climbing. I even had good medicine, so the narrative noted that I didn't lose as many troops as I could have. But still, the battle was not in my favor.
I asked my friend more about how they achieved naval victory, but they were unsure of anything other than naval strength since they played the game months ago. I also saw the thread where a player encountered an apparent glitch at this area, so perhaps my friend experienced that winning glitch.

So, how can the naval battle against Togami be won? Do you have to go out with the navy, and do you need more than just passing Lumen? Or did I just underestimate the power of climbing?

Magnificate

Re: Winning the Naval battle (spoiler kind of)

#2 Post by Magnificate » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:42 pm

I've done multiple playthroughs so far, and I was told by a friend that you can crush Togami's navy if you have a powerful enough navy.
You need to build more ships. To build new ships, you must be aware that an invasion is being prepared. There are several ways to do that, including omens, agents and straight-up market observation. Or, instead of building ships on your own, it is possible for an ally to send reinforcements for the battle.

In addition, you cannot afford to lose too much soldiers prior to the invasion. This basically means Ixion crisis must be resolved without bloodshed and rebellions must be avoided. I'm not sure whether not losing soldiers to small-scale accidents is strictly required, but as they say, better safe that sorry.

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:36 am

Yeah, having the extra ships and as many soldiers as possible is really the most important element here. Climbing and extra magic and all that is a few extra straws that might tip the scales, but neither of them is required. It's totally possible to win without the climbing check and without being a Lumen. (The Climb bonus wasn't even added until the Steam release.)

BrudeHaunter

#4 Post by BrudeHaunter » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:19 am

Oh boy, I almost did those things...
Thanks!