Achieving a naval victory on lumen power alone?

Rule the world - or die trying!
Kirroha

Achieving a naval victory on lumen power alone?

#1 Post by Kirroha » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Is this a bug? I went in consort with 2 other Lumens and sank the whole Shanjia fleet and summoned the kracken, but the narration said that I achieved a "hard-earned victory" and I unlocked the "achieved a naval victory" in the checklist instead of "sunk a fleet with magic".

I have absolutely 0 military skill at this point, btw.

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Achieving a naval victory on lumen power alone?

#2 Post by hanako » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Do you have a save or a log from that run so we can look at exactly what happened?

If you ended up in the situation where you have enough magical power to damage the fleet but not to outright destroy them and THEN mopped the remains up with your navy (despite not having military skill yourself) then it might make sense but I'd have to look at the whole picture to be sure.

Kirroha

#3 Post by Kirroha » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:36 am

It *could* be, I suppose. I failed the first Wield Magic check (so Elodie needed to be on the ship instead of on land), but passed the second Lumen check, and she also managed to use her lumen powers as a cannon at some point. Then I got the "hard-earned victory" text and unlocked the naval victory checklist.

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Post by hanako » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:16 am

Yeah, that sounds like you got the somewhat-uncommon scenario where you had enough power to attack the fleet and attract nasty creatures, but not enough to actually wipe them out, AND didn't kill yourself failing. If that's what happened, it should look something like this:

Because you are not yet able to throw energy over a great distance, you are forced to stage this attempt aboard a ship which has sailed bravely out of formation to bring you close to the enemy.

Thus, there remains the danger that your ship will come under fire, or that you will be swallowed up by the effects of your own attack.

Power grows...

In the distance, the sea stirs. Ripples become waves become triangular peaks of water, causing enemy ships to tilt crazily and batter into one another.

It is a terrible storm, but it is not enough. You have damaged their fleet, but the fleet still sails. Now it will come down to the naval battle.

Ships close in on each other, angling into range.
(and then the rest of the normal naval battle text)

Since the Lumen conjunction takes out a big chunk of the invaders, you can then manage to win the ship-to-ship combat even if you don't have a really big navy or a lot of military skill. You're just mopping up stragglers at that point.

I couldn't make the naval victory require that no magic be used at all because then that would disqualify the standard lumen cannon approach. (Or rather, I *could*, but then that achievement would be even harder to get than it already is.)

Kirroha

#5 Post by Kirroha » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:43 am

Yep, that's what I got. It was mostly unintentional, though. I was just aiming for a "sunk a fleet with magic" ending.