Half-Brother? (Spoilers)

Rule the world - or die trying!
chris the cynic

Half-Brother? (Spoilers)

#1 Post by chris the cynic » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:32 pm

Unless I'm missing something the game never says whether he is or isn't. In one ending he comes forward on his own and explains that he was born from a premarital liaison Joslyn had when he was young. So we don't need to parse the question of whether Joslyn would cheat on Fidelia. In another ending Joslyn brings him forward as an heir but Joslyn's mind is kind of broken at the time.

In neither ending is Elodie so sure about the relation. Unless I'm missing something the game never says if the relation is real or not. (For Elodie to not be sure the possible half-brother's age, at least, has to fail firmly within "possible" because otherwise she'd know it was a lie.)

Arguments against are that:
-someone with ducal ambitions might be able to fool Joslyn, in his damaged state, into thinking they were related.
-if Joslyn is not mentally damaged he'll never acknowledge the man as his son (which, if the man is his son, would be a pretty jerk move)
-Joslyn appears to be in no hurry to get re-married but if he feels pressure to produce heirs will try to do just that, which doesn't make a lot of sense if he'a already got an heir

Arguments for:
-Joslyn's injuries leave him focused on the past which arguably makes his judgment over something that happened long ago (the birth of the boy) more reliable than what's going on in the present.
-Joslyn's injuries could have been his Regarding Henry moment which pushed him to make amends to the son he abandoned.
-It's possible that the liason broke off before Joslyn knew the servant was pregnant it was only when focused-on-the-past Joslyn went looking for her (now dead) that he learned she had a son just the right age to be his who, in fact, claimed to be his.

And that sort of covers it, but note that the last "argument for" is more of, "How this could have happened without Joslyn being at total jerk the entire time he didn't acknowledge the son," not, "This definitely is his son."

So, thoughts, is the guy Elodie's half brother?

Ariel Schnee

Re: Half-Brother? (Spoilers)

#2 Post by Ariel Schnee » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:14 pm

chris the cynic wrote:Unless I'm missing something the game never says whether he is or isn't. In one ending he comes forward on his own and explains that he was born from a premarital liaison Joslyn had when he was young. So we don't need to parse the question of whether Joslyn would cheat on Fidelia. In another ending Joslyn brings him forward as an heir but Joslyn's mind is kind of broken at the time.

In neither ending is Elodie so sure about the relation. Unless I'm missing something the game never says if the relation is real or not. (For Elodie to not be sure the possible half-brother's age, at least, has to fail firmly within "possible" because otherwise she'd know it was a lie.)

Arguments against are that:
-someone with ducal ambitions might be able to fool Joslyn, in his damaged state, into thinking they were related.
-if Joslyn is not mentally damaged he'll never acknowledge the man as his son (which, if the man is his son, would be a pretty jerk move)
-Joslyn appears to be in no hurry to get re-married but if he feels pressure to produce heirs will try to do just that, which doesn't make a lot of sense if he'a already got an heir

Arguments for:
-Joslyn's injuries leave him focused on the past which arguably makes his judgment over something that happened long ago (the birth of the boy) more reliable than what's going on in the present.
-Joslyn's injuries could have been his Regarding Henry moment which pushed him to make amends to the son he abandoned.
-It's possible that the liason broke off before Joslyn knew the servant was pregnant it was only when focused-on-the-past Joslyn went looking for her (now dead) that he learned she had a son just the right age to be his who, in fact, claimed to be his.

And that sort of covers it, but note that the last "argument for" is more of, "How this could have happened without Joslyn being at total jerk the entire time he didn't acknowledge the son," not, "This definitely is his son."

So, thoughts, is the guy Elodie's half brother?
I've played this game lots.

And I've never encountered any half-brother.

Are you sure you've got the right game here?
Signature

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig!!

- Ariel Schnee, twin sister of Weiss Schnee. And Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Clearly you haven't played enough!

Yes, this sub-plot does exist, although it only comes up in fairly obscure endings, and no, I'm not going to answer the question, what fun would that be? :)

ark99k

#4 Post by ark99k » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:38 am

ANOTHER OBSCURE ENDING!?!? I am having enough trouble with becoming a bard and being blessed by cats, and now I must discover a half-brother! Do you have to be such a bad daughter that your dad decides to go and replace you? Then again, I tried being the worst possible princess, yet somehow the kingdom ended up loving lumens and commenting on a lovely (forced) marriage to Banion, so I would never be able to do that. Does your dad dying end up with a boy showing up saying "Elodie! I am your (half) brother!" with no one to deny it or does daddy have to live? Any hints?
★Shining like a star!★

chris the cynic

#5 Post by chris the cynic » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:58 pm

ark99k wrote:Any hints?
I don't know how to hint at this without giving it away, so the following is giving it away.

Have your father duel and:
a) Survive
b) Die when you don't know Lucille claims Merva belongs to her (Internal Affairs below 20)