Novan Religion

Rule the world - or die trying!
Magnificate

Novan Religion

#1 Post by Magnificate » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:14 am

What is known or can be inferred:

1. Novan Religion has female priesthood.
2. Novan Religion is organized in Circles. (I assume Circles are some form of hierarchy?)
3. Novan Religion has holy texts. (However, I assume it has no singular central scripture. Otherwise the Bible-equivalent would be printed on the printing press.)
4. Novan Religion has a holy symbol, a Triquetra. (No in-game meaning is given to it.)
5. Novan Religion celebrates the Good Lady. (Which might or might not be the worshipped Deity. She's unnamed, implying high significance, but at the same time has a procession dedicated to her directly, which suggests she is not the highest figure in the religion. Likely legendary, not historical figure. In addition, Good Lady bears gifts. My best guess is that Good Lady is the figure that inspired the founder of the Novan Religion, perchaps an angel that healed and teached him/her.)
6. Novan Religion is likely mired in superstition. (It is possible to learn Divination, as such there is no way that uneducated commoners wouldn't come up with some home-made interpretations.)
7. Religious services are held in sacred groves. (Plus planting trees is part of the religious celebration. Rebirth themes.)
8. No marriage for priestesses. (Might, or might not imply celibacy. Might, or might not be strictly enforced. After all, not that much of a deal is made after Julianna/Selene romance is revealed.)
9. It's relatively easy to become a priestess. (Elodie can easily get her priestess robes in three weeks and there is no ordain event. Unless those are just some sort of prayer robes and Elodie is no priestess.)

Have I missed or got something wrong?

Ariel Schnee

Re: Novan Religion

#2 Post by Ariel Schnee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:32 pm

You forgot the part where they can capture the "deity" by cutting the last bundle of wheat and then having her grant them a wish.

... ... ...

No wait, that's "Spice and Wolf" series. Heh..... Nervermind.
Signature

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig!!

- Ariel Schnee, twin sister of Weiss Schnee. And Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:12 am

I will say only that there are references to druids and sacred groves, as well :)

Magnificate

#4 Post by Magnificate » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:13 pm

As it turns out, you actually can choose to print religious doctrine in the newest version of the game.

Elodie specifically mentions Gods and Good Lady as one of them. Joslyn mentions temples. Hanako mentioned druids and indeed these guys are present in the setting.

That makes speculation a little bit harder. My current guess is that there are two old religious traditions, one polytheistic and one druidic. The Good Lady religion is an amalgamate of the those two, eventually superseding them as the most popular faith.