The naval battle (spoilerish kinda?)

Rule the world - or die trying!
Darksilverhawk

The naval battle (spoilerish kinda?)

#1 Post by Darksilverhawk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:13 am

(No plot spoilers here, but some curiosity about how the naval battle mechanics are handled.)

Since I've been noticing a lot of people attributing their failure in the naval battle to failing the climbing check, I have to wonder: How much is that climbing check in the naval battle actually effecting anything, as well as the magic check to turn Elodie into a canon? I'd kind of been assuming from experience all this time that it's not making any real difference either way, it's more of a very small thing where if you get all the very tiny things it might tip the battle in your favor, but the big three (having enough soldiers, having extra ships, high military skill) were pretty much sealing your fate anyway. And for that matter, how much does a partially successful lumen conjunction help?

(Also, was that climb check added while you while doing the new Steam content, or was I just never paying attention before?)

hanako
Site Admin

Re: The naval battle (spoilerish kinda?)

#2 Post by hanako » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:22 am

The climb check was an addition in the Steam content, since it was one of the Most Useless Skills originally.

Being able to climb up to the crows nest boosts the effect of your strategy and lumen fireballs. If you have max naval strategy and max lumen, climbing can net you a pretty nice bonus. If those stats are really low, it doesn't do you any good.

The war equations are too complicated to easily summarise. There's a lot going on in there. It's completely possible to win the battle with no Lumen skill at all and no climbing but it's harder.

Darksilverhawk

Re: The naval battle (spoilerish kinda?)

#3 Post by Darksilverhawk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:42 am

I knew it is incredibly complicated. I was just curious, but "it's complicated" is a good enough answer for me. I know it's possible to win sans lumen (as I've done it pre-climbing check existing), and seeing a lot of people assuming it's a case of one check causing you to fail the whole battle was starting to wear on me and making me think about it more than I probably should. However, thanks for the answer anyway, that is interesting to know.