Lumendelian Genetics

Rule the world - or die trying!
Hazel

Lumendelian Genetics

#1 Post by Hazel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:35 pm

This isn't actually about the genetics of Lumen magic, I just wanted to use the pun. Heh.

Given how complicated the family trees are, I find it interesting to note which relations bear a family resemblance to each other:

Banion, Brin and Bennett look a fair bit like each other (by extrapolation, since stylistically there's only so much room for variation).

It's hard to guess what Arisse looked like when she was young, but I suppose Corisande and Kevan are a bit similar looking. At any rate, they both have reddish hair and greenish eyes.

Julianna and Ignatius have an obvious resemblance.

The funny thing is Briony, whose hair is like a paint mixture of Corisande and Ignatius.

Even Gwenelle looks noticeably like her mother.

Joslyn and Armand also look alike. We could maybe speculate that Fidelia looked a bit like Laurent, although that doesn't explain Elodie's unique look (unless pink hair in childhood fades into brown in adulthood).

The hardest to explain by far is Charlotte! Where did she get violet hair and pink-red eyes? Very curious. I was starting to wonder if she's adopted.

Ramidel

Re: Lumendelian Genetics

#2 Post by Ramidel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:20 pm

@Hazel: No, she wasn't adopted...

...Lucille, who were you sleeping with nine months before Charlotte was born?

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:39 pm

I actually do expect Charlotte's hair will darken as she gets older...

Clearly, the logical assumption is that Laurent's hair is actually pink and he dyes it because it would look silly. Then if both he and Fidelia have pink hair, Elodie takes after her mother, and Charlotte's goes violet from Lucille's influence.

(Note - I am not saying any of this is true. Just joking around.)

Hazel

#4 Post by Hazel » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:47 am

I was wondering whether Lucille's black hair could be considered dark violet or dark blue. The pink eyes are an outlier, though.

From a visual design perspective it makes sense to give adult characters darker or more naturalistic hair colors. Especially someone who's as much of stick in the mud as Laurent. Talarist is the one who stands out.

I like overthinking character genetics. It's a problem that I have.