LLTQ on Steam

Rule the world - or die trying!
GSN22

LLTQ on Steam

#1 Post by GSN22 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:57 am

So how does the "Steam Greenlight" work?

What's necessary for it to be up on Steam? Is there a set number of votes? Is it close to being greenlighted?

And if it does come up on Steam, will there be another update to the game?

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:21 am

The way Greenlight works is that you gather huge numbers of votes, then beg Steam to look at your game again after ignoring it the first time. :)

There is no number of votes that is guaranteed to get you on. You can have a million votes and they can still say no. (Unlikely, but it could happen.) You basically need enough votes to get into the top 100 for them to even maybe look at it. That means something like 17,000. We're almost at 11,000 now.

However, being in the top100 still isn't that meaningful. Most of the top 100 still isn't going to be greenlighted, ever. The only advantage I have is that since I do have a game on Steam and have already used their system, they might be more inclined to take me as a faster intake.

To actually get to the top of the listings, you're looking at something more like 50,0000 votes. They're also much more likely to accept a game if it has mainstream coverage or gets discussed by a popular youtuber or something like that.

If it is accepted, I do intend to update the game and add more content. Exactly what would be added would depend on what artists I could get hold of at the time! ikr is awesome but may not be free...

So basically, the best you can do is keep spreading the word about the game (and our awesome new trailer) and hope that people come vote us up! Unless you have friends with really popular youtube channels. :)

GSN22

#3 Post by GSN22 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:34 am

Oh, which of your games is on Steam?

Also, if it -did- get on Steam, what kind of updates would the game get? More weeks, endings, characters?

Karlminion

#4 Post by Karlminion » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:51 am

Man, if LLtQ made it to Steam I would totally buy it again. Just because Hanako Games is that awesome!

I think a neat expansion would be to play the game from Charlotte's viewpoint, as opposed to Elodie's.

GSN22

#5 Post by GSN22 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:53 am

Charlotte doesn't too much in the game, unless you're really evil! :twisted:

hanako
Site Admin

#6 Post by hanako » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:13 am

GSN22 wrote:Oh, which of your games is on Steam?
Magical Diary.

Also, if it -did- get on Steam, what kind of updates would the game get? More weeks, endings, characters?
Like I said, it partly depends on what artists I can get hold of. Nothing like a whole new expansion though. :) New options and outcomes within the current story, more graphics, stuff like that. More chances to talk to Charlotte at least!

LateWhiteRabbit

I'd buy it again.

#7 Post by LateWhiteRabbit » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:00 am

Just gave you my vote on Greenlight - along with Science Girls.

I'd definitely buy this again if it got on Steam, if for no other reason than to get Valve to pay more attention to the genre.

Blue Rose

#8 Post by Blue Rose » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:37 am

hanako wrote:So basically, the best you can do is keep spreading the word about the game (and our awesome new trailer) and hope that people come vote us up! Unless you have friends with really popular youtube channels. :)
That... is simultaneously the most hilarious and the most accurate trailer I have ever seen. :D

NightGuard

#9 Post by NightGuard » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 pm

I have to say, I really like the new trailer. "Here's the story. Oops. Okay, here's the story. Oops." Very fun way of presenting how the game works. And yes, very good voice talent doing this one.

Upvoted on Greenlight, for whatever that's worth.

Karlminion

#10 Post by Karlminion » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:58 am

There's been an ad linking to the Steam Greenlight page for LLtQ up on the MSPA homepage all day. That's Homestuck, FYI.

I expect the vote tally to skyrocket, if it hasn't already.

hanako
Site Admin

#11 Post by hanako » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:49 am

Sadly you'd think wrong - I buy those ads because they're better than nothing, but they're still good for only like 10-30 more votes a day.

altlene

#12 Post by altlene » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:29 am

I really hate to rain on everyone's day here, but I vehemently oppose this decision to bring LLTQ to Steam. There's several reasons as to why I hate this platform, but trying to explain it in a single post would take up several thousand words.

The promise of including new content if it's successful through Greenlight (even if I would get it for free in exchange for shackling myself to Steam) reminds me of how visual novel developers would release multi platform versions of the same game, with the latest release including new content that's not found in the previous ones as a way to entice fans of the game to mindlessly buy this version, and I will not use my key to activate my copy on Steam should it happen.

I really do love this game and I'd rather see hanako make a true sequel to LLTQ instead of wasting time trying to get this ported on Steam through Greenlight and then wasting even more time trying to figure out how to add content to this game when it does happen.

hanako
Site Admin

#13 Post by hanako » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:59 am

Considering that any new content is available as a free upgrade through the existing update system whether the game is played on Steam or not, it's not really comparable.

Really, the only reason for tying it to GL success is that it suggests being able to make enough sales to cover any costs necessary. I'm not a big Steam fan myself for a number of reasons but making it an option does bring a game to a much wider audience than otherwise.

Trust me, if the GL campaign were not returning fruit I wouldn't be pushing it... I have other games listed on GL that I listed there mostly because people kept asking me if and when they'd be available on Steam. But the Steam audience isn't interested and promoting those pages is a complete waste of time. They're listed and that's the extent of my attention.

However, all energy put into the LLTQ campaign has been more than worth its weight in sales. I hate marketing - I wouldn't be putting this much into it without a good reason! :)

OdicHastings

Re: LLTQ on Steam

#14 Post by OdicHastings » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Have you considered other portals besides Steam? It would definitely be the best to get your game onto, but Desura and Good old Games might offer you a spot. Of course, I don't actually know if either of those have ever taken visual novels before. They may just think there isn't enough interest in the genre. I disagree, but then again I wouldn't really know.

Sneaky

Re: LLTQ on Steam

#15 Post by Sneaky » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:21 am

I wish that new highlight video ended with more than just death chibi cards. More 'action' snapshots, less of a somber conclusion.

I know it's supposed to illustrate that the player might die a lot, but we know there's more to this game than that. :(
"Boo!"