Question about stat-base endings.... And which is best?

Rule the world - or die trying!
GSN22

Question about stat-base endings.... And which is best?

#1 Post by GSN22 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 pm

How many different stat-based endings are there in the game and what generally determines which one you get at the end?

Sometimes it seems to differ....

1. With enough economics, it talks about Elodie wanting to build Nova the world's biggest economy and wanting to dominate economically rather than militarily. It mentions Nova's people receiving the highest standard of living in the world.

2. With enough military strength, it talks about wanting to rebuild the old empire.

3. With the above, but with executing all the prisoners in the war, it talks about wanting to defend Nova's borders. (as other countries are angry about the nobles you captured all being executed)

4. With enough animal, it talks about Elodie passing laws to improves and rights and quality of life of animals.

5. With enough Meditation? I think Elodie discovers her dad has a hidden trove of like 100 different Lumen crystals, it vaguely suggests she plans to do something with them.

6. With enough Lumen, it says that Elodie will eventually catalogue and defeat all the monsters and reach the heart of the haunted forest as she still considers them a possible future threat. (which will reclaim lost territory and gaining a fortune in gold according to other in-game materials)

I've gotten this ending before even when skipping the "forest survival" quest, so I don't think that's necessary to unlock it.

I still think the forest ending is best because, well, those monsters are an unknown threat, not to mention it'll result in reclaiming lost territory and a treasure trove of gold. I used to think the economy ending was best but, I think it's better to deal with the unknown threat rather than hoping it never erupts. Besides that, wouldn't getting all that gold basically be like getting the economy ending as well?

GSN22

#2 Post by GSN22 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:53 am

Also, how do I ensure the "forest" ending? That's my absolute favorite ending in the game and it's the one I always like to pursue the most, though my sky-high economic skills often leave me with the Good Economy ending.

Ramidel

#3 Post by Ramidel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:10 am

Each stat has its own ending if you get it to max; I'm not sure how the game decides between maxed stats. (I very rarely max Economy, in any event; I just get enough of it to get my crystal and get wind of a certain naval buildup.)

Also, the History ending helps to defuse another time-bomb. You may want to try it once.

GSN22

#4 Post by GSN22 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:03 am

Please go ahead and spoil the history ending for me, what on earth could it spoil to make it worthwhile? (moreso than the forest ending?)

Okay, I got it. Basically the founders of Nova were from Bour? (up north) and destroyed the soil there with endless magic fighting, leading to a caution about magic that was forgotten. Elo learns this then implements this history strongly so that it's never forgotten. I still like the Forest ending best. I've never really trusted Lumens in general (given how many evil Lumens there are and how easy it is to abuse the ability) and it makes sense why her dad despises Lumens and discourages them. (not to mention the natural disasters and monsters they often cause)

Athletic just has her getting bored and travelling throughout her domain in response.

High intrigue means an excellent spy network which gives her some minor advantages in predicting foreign moves.

High combat means the royal guard gets better training.

High artistry means she's a patron of the arts.

High Royal Demeanor stuff means she's like her mom and has a very royal demeanor and presence.

High medicine + cruelty = she likes making lots of new poisons to kill her enemies ending.

Conversation = she uses her way with words to win the hearts of people, and considers it to be the best weapon of war. Implies strong diplomacy.

I'd still like to know what the High medicine with low cruelty ending is, although hospital + printing press seems like it'd render it fairly redundant

Can the debug console reduce cruelty at all?
Last edited by GSN22 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GSN22

#5 Post by GSN22 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:22 pm

One thing I'll add.... since most people hate/fear Lumens, I think the History ending is only really important if you win the magical duel and people let down their guard about Lumens.

For the economic ending, befriending Shanjia is probably best in the long-term, as it's a wealthy and powerful ally to make.

Also, I keep testing it, but it seems impossible to get a Medicines stat-based ending. My guess is that building the hospital overrides that, or Medicines makes you build the hospital if you didn't already.

Ramidel

#6 Post by Ramidel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:19 am

Yes, but the problem is that Lumen's both extremely valuable for Nova and something you need to keep an eye on. So in the long run, I'd say you want both a magical victory and a history success if you want a functional legacy about Lumen.

Simple blind hatred isn't the proper solution.

GSN22

#7 Post by GSN22 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:28 pm

The greater good is what's most important.

Accessing the magic duel requires having nearly your entire army and navy be annihilated.

Hmm.... Lumen tolerance may lead to more Lumens coming to Nova, and Lumens are valuable, and the history lowers the chances of another disaster.

I'm starting to think this might be the best ending in the long-term, the Nova Empire was originally created with uniting tons of Lumens and their crystals.

GSN22

#8 Post by GSN22 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:48 am

I finally got the perfect History Ending, along with the Lumen tolerance, and a wooed Talarist (with Briony alive and some of the Navy salvaged) since I figured international support would be important after all the losses to Shanjia.

Probably the best future for the Kingdom for the kingdom I think. The History ending also mentions improving the state of education in the Kingdom as well. The Kingdom should be a magnet for more valuable Lumens, and everybody should know enough to be cautious with magic. I may not have the best economy in the world or have the forest cleared or have all the magic artifiacts documented but hey, you can't do everything in one dynasty.

Well, all's well that ends well. :D

GSN22

#9 Post by GSN22 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:39 am

Someone add this to the Wiki later...

HISTORY ENDING- "Elodie's studies of history revealed previously glossed-over facts from Nova's past, such as why the Novan empire only blossomed after the fall of Borealis: The old Lumen warlords were forced to flee to more fertile ground after their constant squabbling damaged their homeland beyond repair.

That also explained why, from the beginning, magic in Nova was viewed with caution. But as memory faded, caution did as well, leading to a cycle of magical destruction that waxed and waned over the centuries.
Elodie vowed to improve the state of Novan education so that important lessons would not be so easily forgotten."

Best for? Lumen tolerance, imo.

GSN22

#10 Post by GSN22 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:41 am

ATHLETICS ENDING- "Despite wearing a crown, Elodie was not one to sit on her throne all day. She engaged in travel and exploration whenever possible, keeping in touch with every corner of her realm."

HIGH CRUELTY ENDING- "The people of Nova learned to fear their queen, who ruled with a wicked whimsy. Anyone who dared to displease her might be whipped, or beheaded, or worse - set free to spend the next month in a panic waiting for the sword to fall. Her rise to power had shaped Elodie into a cruel woman who took pleasure in the suffering of others."

ROYAL DEMEANOR ENDING- "Elodie was her mother's daughter, possessed of a royal grace and solemnity even as a young woman. That quiet power would only deepen over the years."

Karlminion

#11 Post by Karlminion » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:51 am

Maybe you could put all that in spoilers? It's no fair just posting stuff like that for everyone to read.

There's no spoiler tags so just use white text! See?

GSN22

#12 Post by GSN22 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:54 am

Isn't a topic about endings already a fairly big spoiler warning?