Steam vs. Direct Download

Rule the world - or die trying!
farrahrani

Steam vs. Direct Download

#1 Post by farrahrani » Fri May 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Would the steam version be patched against cheats, like upping certain lesson scores, or can you do that in both?
Buying certain games in Steam made me regret it,when you couldn't add mods, or even appearance hacks so I'd like to know which would be a better purchase source.

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Fri May 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Well, since there IS no Steam version, I can't exactly say. :) Most things on Greenlight never get through.

However, buying it direct entitles you to a free Steam key if it ever does launch there, so if you buy from me now you'd have both versions eventually (if there ever are two versions).

Steam by default does make modding somewhat more difficult because they clean up non-matching files, however, nobody's made mods for this game anyway. Cheat codes wouldn't be affected.

OdicHastings

Re: Steam vs. Direct Download

#3 Post by OdicHastings » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:17 am

I'm surprised you have to go through greenlight to get your game on there. I had assumed that whenever someone successfully gets a game on Steam you develop a sort of rep with them. They know you produce quality work, so they personally look at what you send through instead of relying on greenlight.

Apparently I was wrong.

No matter, if it doesn't make it through greenlight I'll just get this one from your site. I liked magical diary, so I trust that this one will be good too. I'd prefer to use Steam since it's just kinda convenient to have all my games cataloged into one library and not have to mess with access keys or anything.

Well, I voted for you on there anyways. I hope you make it!

Tephlonx5

#4 Post by Tephlonx5 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Does this rule work in reverse, too? I bought a Steam copy, might I be able to get a direct download copy, as well?
I know the versions are the same, but I have reasons for wanting both editions.

tagg

#5 Post by tagg » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:00 am

I second that question! I'm thinking of getting this game and currently Steam has it for slightly cheaper(Autumn sale), but checking here before considering purchase.

hanako
Site Admin

#6 Post by hanako » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:40 am

No, there's no way for us to link up the orders that direction.

tagg

#7 Post by tagg » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:47 am

Darn.. I guess I'll have to break the bank...

A dollar more it is! =P

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yi Sun-Sin

#8 Post by Yi Sun-Sin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi.
I would like to know if buying the game directly on the website now will still give me access to a steam key.
Thank you in advance !

hanako
Site Admin

#9 Post by hanako » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:27 pm

If you buy directly you'll get an updater license key. You can use that to claim a Steam key on the nettle site. So yes.

Yi Sun-Sin

#10 Post by Yi Sun-Sin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks a ton ! Purchased.

happyft

#11 Post by happyft » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:29 am

Hey guys, I really liked Long Live the Queen. Any other games by Hanako you might recommend?

Hazel

#12 Post by Hazel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:56 am

There's no other game that has quite the same combination of brutal mechanics and brutal storytelling (which is what I love about LLTQ), but I've enjoyed all of Hanako's games that I've played. Magical Diary is great, but the tone is (for the most part) a lot less dark. The Royal Trap is wonderful, but it's a visual novel with no gameplay. The art is amazing, though. Most of the others I haven't played.

Miakoda

#13 Post by Miakoda » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:06 pm

I played Summer Session, and liked it, but it is definitely not for everyone. You take the role of a student attending a summer class to get ahead in college. It shares some of the game mechanics as Magical Diary such as stress, etc. but it is much more frantic/brutal to successfully romance one of five girls, and get a passing grade (one must complete it in 8 weeks of game time).

Gamer

#14 Post by Gamer » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:42 am

I bought this game a year ago and I am now interested in downloading it again since there are apparently new stuff added. The old links don't work. How can I download it on Steam without buying it again? I know how to get the product key - I just don't know how to download the game.

Darksilverhawk

#15 Post by Darksilverhawk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Once you've gone to the link Hanako posted above and gotten your product key, just activate the code it gives you in Steam. (Use the "Add a Game" link at the bottom of your library, and select "Activate a product on Steam." It'll pop up a dialogue window where you can input the code, and then it'll show up in your library as normal.)