Everyone loves me too much! [spoilers?]

Rule the world - or die trying!
Darksilverhawk

Everyone loves me too much! [spoilers?]

#1 Post by Darksilverhawk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 am

No matter what I do I can't seem to get the civil war or the commoner uprising to trigger consistently, and most of the events I have left to see have to do with one of them. I've only faced the commoner uprising in three games, and when I feel like I'm being super mean to them they never rebel. In addition, I've only gotten the civil war once, and that was completely by accident on a very early play-through and I haven't gotten it since. What are some of the things you can do to help ensure one or the other?

Oki

#2 Post by Oki » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 am

Okay, major spoilers for some tips for both.

COUGH SPOILERS COUGH

Civil War? Hah, piss off Arisse. How do you do so? Well, it's a good idea to make sure that her stepson is killed by sending him to his grandfather. Also, make sure to piss off Kevan (not hard) by not helping Briony, and for extra measure feel free to help her, then let her wander off and tell her mother she got what she deserved. Lol she'll hate you. Also, making Banion mad would do you a favor too.

RAISE TAXES to piss off the commoners and LOWER THEM to piss off the nobles. Actually, I think both piss off the Nobles, but I'm more positive about lowering taxes since then they have no money. Piss off Talarist by uncouthly objecting him, causing more war, and causing more unrest! Free people who threaten nobles, opt to make sure you have no money and your country is super poor- generally be a terrible, terrible ruler. It also helps if you become a cruel person in general, mostly cause of the vanilla text it adds.

Surrender provinces to Ixion! Make sure that young Adair dies! Terrible money management, reject any ideas that might help the less fortunate, be a cruel, cruel girl. And be as rude as you can to any and everyone. That's how I did it.
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

Ramidel

#3 Post by Ramidel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 am

Nobles don't care about your taxes and money management AFAIK. It's your treasury, not theirs!

Civil war depends more on Arisse and her agenda than anything else, so pissing off Kevan and Talarist (or marrying Talarist, she hates that) and sending Adair to his grandfather or to Armand are how you set off the civil war.

Oki

#4 Post by Oki » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:09 am

Ramidel wrote:Nobles don't care about your taxes and money management AFAIK. It's your treasury, not theirs!

Civil war depends more on Arisse and her agenda than anything else, so pissing off Kevan and Talarist (or marrying Talarist, she hates that) and sending Adair to his grandfather or to Armand are how you set off the civil war.
Actually, it was HANAKO who said somewhere a long time ago, they care about ONE of the taxes. Unless my creepy stalking notes are off somehow. She can feel free to drop in and bitch slap me. Buy if you ONLY have Arisse against you, it's not enough to cause civil war without pissing off someone big too. She knows she needs support to squash a queen.

Ramidel

#5 Post by Ramidel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:13 am

Hm. I thought that pissing off Arisse's family (Arisse, Kevan, possibly Corisande) was enough to make Bad Things Happen. Must test!

Franka

#6 Post by Franka » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:52 am

Oki wrote:Okay, major spoilers for some tips for both.

COUGH SPOILERS COUGH

Also, make sure to piss off Kevan (not hard) by not helping Briony, and for extra measure feel free to help her, then let her wander off and tell her mother she got what she deserved. Lol she'll hate you.
That's too late for the civil war. It's a nice cruelty boost though.

Hazel

#7 Post by Hazel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Nobles care about their lands and titles, and about their family reputation. If you insult the family name or give away land and titles, those who lose will be pissed and those who gain will be moderately better inclined toward you. Commoners care about taxes, magic and not having their homes and fields ransacked by foreign invasions. If you win a big naval victory you'll be a hero to them.

What I found funny about the civil war in context of pissing off Kevan is that if you treat to end the civil war, regardless of the outcome of the Briony event he won't attack you at the tournament. I like to imagine that he hightails out of town as soon as he finds out his mother is in the palace. What a warm loving family.

The best indicator of civil war is if everyone talks about you behind your back at Gwenelle's birthday party. If people refuse to make eye contact over punch, it's always either a violent uprising or broccoli in your teeth.

Oki

#8 Post by Oki » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Franka wrote:
Oki wrote:Okay, major spoilers for some tips for both.

COUGH SPOILERS COUGH

Also, make sure to piss off Kevan (not hard) by not helping Briony, and for extra measure feel free to help her, then let her wander off and tell her mother she got what she deserved. Lol she'll hate you.
That's too late for the civil war. It's a nice cruelty boost though.
Oh I just like to piss Kevan off so much I kept going and going! It's funny cause he's my favorite husband. But he is such a bipolar bitch. XD

Darksilverhawk

#9 Post by Darksilverhawk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Hmmm. I do most of those things, I guess I'm just not doing enough of them in one play-through. Oh well, off to test. Does making a good/bad impression at the ball or refusing to go to Gwenelle's party and offending her by not passing the court manners check make a significant difference either way?

hanako
Site Admin

#10 Post by hanako » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Making a terrible impression at the ball and offending people by not attending the party will lower approval with the nobility, yes.

Hazel

#11 Post by Hazel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 pm

"If you don't learn how to dance you might die."

I love this game.

Ramidel

#12 Post by Ramidel » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 pm

And while you're learning to dance, you're not learning other skills that you'll need to save your life! :twisted:

Hazel

#13 Post by Hazel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:40 am

I got another insurrection last night while playing a fail!princess. I think the tipping point was Arisse's war going poorly because of Elodie's low military, Lumen and medical skills. Actually, Lumen was pretty high, but it only partly passed the check. This also caused Arisse's extra son to appear as a marriage prospect after the family was, er, significantly reduced in numbers. Although I'm curious about what would happen if I pursued that. That whole family is a train wreck.

Sadly I don't remember what happened when I hired agents to pursue assassination plots and subsequently executed Laurent, but not Lucille. I'll have to recreate that epilogue for a fanfic scenario.

Wright of Void

#14 Post by Wright of Void » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Many of the tips here seem to surround the civil war -- any tips on getting the commoner revolt? I can't seem to get it no matter what I do. I've executed everyone who looks at Elodie funny, raised taxes, gotten into a civil war, lost the naval battle, and killed Togami so that his troops continued to pillage the countryside. When I set agents to look for commoner uprisings, I even got a message indicating that commoner approval was low (I think immediately before the naval battle), but on week 38 nothing came of it. What do I have to do to make people hate me?! D:

Hazel

#15 Post by Hazel » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Early on there's an encounter where, under certain circumstances you can have a maid flogged for running into you. Then if you upset Talarist enough and manage to keep Adair alive, for example by making Adele of Lillah his guardian another event will crop up where you can disappoint the peasants.

Refusing to make any public appearances helps, or executing people by magic. Novan peasants don't like magic (maximize history to get an epilogue that explains more about this). If, for example, they think there's a cabal of evil mages about, and the queen isn't doing a thing about it, they might be less than thrilled.