I have so many questions...

Rule the world - or die trying!
Hazel

I have so many questions...

#1 Post by Hazel » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 pm

I can't even count the number of times I played this game in the past three weeks. It's been like a roller-coaster. I'm continually amazed by how many branching plots I still haven't discovered... I'm afraid some of my choices are still pretty conservative. Never raise taxes, rarely execute... I should be less cautious to make things interesting.

I still have so many questions, and not just about how on earth to put together the nobility's mind-boggling family tree! What's the deal with Joslyn's Lumen crystal? Just how many secret Lumen are there? Was there really an evil Lumen cabal involved with that one dude who murdered his wife? And why does Arisse keep sending embroidered cushions?

Really, it's that last one that bothers me most.

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:50 pm

I can cover the last one. :)

It's a filler event to indicate that Arisse is not trying to kill you and the civil war is not happening on that playthrough. She sends you a gift to indicate friendship and to remind you of her own power - horse-breeding being important economically in Lillah as well as a reference to the nomad ancestry of that line. So it's basically just a "Hi, remember me? I'm relevant." Random presents make you look good, demonstrating your wealth and generosity. They also can make people nervous or guilty if they're plotting something!

For the other questions I'll let others answer if they wish... there's some information in the game and fun guesswork to be had elsewhere. :)

Hazel

#3 Post by Hazel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:25 am

Oh, I see. Put that way, it makes so much sense! I was going bonkers trying to figure out if there was some way to read a secret message in it by raising my decoration score or something. Arisse is really amazing, she plays a very subtle game.

Ramidel

#4 Post by Ramidel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:54 am

Try winning the game having focused on Faith (all three skills at 100 and wearing the Priestess Robe for most of the game, I think that's how you get the skill endings?), it'll explain some things about Joslyn.

Hazel

#5 Post by Hazel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:25 pm

Ah, I see. I think I only got the Joslyn-related event once, in one of my early games when I thought not being a Lumen would discourage a certain someone from trying to kill Elodie. I should try for that again and see what happens.

Actually, I just tried to sink the fleet with magic a second time because I wanted to sacrifice Charlotte to the kraken you know, for science. For Joslyn for some reason would not give the option when the invasion was discovered. I guessed that it was either because of her high cruelty score or because she killed her aunt and got that magic taint all over the palace.

Lottie's discordant expression at Gwenelle's part was pretty amusing, though.

Ramidel

#6 Post by Ramidel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:51 pm

The Joslyn-related event only happens if you are caught without Lumen. See, he's a Lumen, but he hates magic and never activated his powers. He'll do so instead of you if you're completely inactive, though.

You can't sacrifice Joslyn (much as I'd like to, sometimes). Feeding Lottie to the kraken takes either a very high cruelty score (hunt while angry a lot) OR you have to discover Lucille's treachery with the chocolates by using the spy, at which point you don't have to be wicked to feed the kraken.

hanako
Site Admin

#7 Post by hanako » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:58 pm

You can only sink the fleet if you've chosen to actually go out with the fleet - if you stay safe in the capital you won't get the option.

That lottie face is basically a bug, it comes from having written the plot long before the art was done, and then forgetting there was a scene that really needed a different face. :) Will probably be patched someday when we have other stuff to update.

Hazel

#8 Post by Hazel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:32 am

Clearly I need to get back to work if I want to pick up all of this game's secrets.

This is my Lumen count so far: Fidelia, Julianna, Selene, Lucille, Lottie, Joslyn, Togami, that one guy who killed his wife, plus whoever breaks him out of prison if you don't kill him outright. So, in my estimation there's almost definitely a cabal of evil Lumens but I don't know what they're scheming about.

hanako
Site Admin

#9 Post by hanako » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Some of the people on your list are not Lumens. :)

There are quite a lot of them around, though. If you've gotten the spare Lumen crystal and talked to your mentor about it, that combined with the history of Nova should explain a few things...

Hazel

#10 Post by Hazel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Is a Lumen with a spare crystal stronger than two Lumens working in concert?

Also, is Togami stronger than Julianna and Selene? Also also, did he already have more than one crystal when he came to Nova?

Franka

#11 Post by Franka » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Lumen seem to have different talents, talents that may not be relevant for fighting, so gauging "strength" might be difficult. Selene is strong in scrying, yet Togami easily counters her, so he's got his resist magic skill up for sure.

hanako
Site Admin

#12 Post by hanako » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Hazel wrote:Is a Lumen with a spare crystal stronger than two Lumens working in concert?
Again, that conversation with the mentor after finding a spare crystal should point out what you can and cannot do with one...

Hazel

#13 Post by Hazel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:30 pm

The evidence that I gathered about Lumen crystals suggests that using someone else's crystal is only possible if they're young and impressionable, and that taking an adult's crystal is basically useless because the personality of the user is somehow imprinted on it, and it will resist the person who killed its owner.

Since the historical notes say that all the crystals but the Crown's and Ursul's were hidden/lost, I assume the ones that do surface were stolen, except Joslyn's, which would be the ancestral Caloris crystal and I'm guessing Fidelia made him take it, and also Lucille's, since she claims she's an ancestral Merva and I guess she probably stole it from some hidden cache.

Then there's the secret backup Lumen, whose powers have been handed down for generations. This I suppose was a backup plan in case of... what actually happened, which was the Lumen lines being wiped out. And there are Lumen in other countries, although most of them are fake.

Trying to untangle this is fun.

Ramidel

#14 Post by Ramidel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:56 pm

You can take an adult's crystal and add it to your own power if they assent. For example, Togami can seize Joslyn's crystal through the duel.

hanako
Site Admin

#15 Post by hanako » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Ramidel wrote:You can take an adult's crystal and add it to your own power if they assent.
No, you can't - at least, not the way you're saying it above.

I'm trying not to get too specific and spoil everyone's mystery-solving, but no - you cannot, under any circumstances, add another crystal to your own. Your mentor does explicitly tell you this!

Togami's plan is more complicated than that.