Thank you so much and Long Live the Queen!

Rule the world - or die trying!
Hazel

#16 Post by Hazel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:44 am

Do you know what made Lieke turn on you? In almost all of my no-confidence games, Banion ends up being completely humiliated before his public beheading. I think I once lost a vote of no confidence, and that was just because Elodie only studied things like swordplay and horseback riding.

Do you always choose Intrigue over Divination? By and large I think it's better, but you don't get the scene with Fabian at the ball.

Franka

#17 Post by Franka » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:30 am

That was just a test run to see the effects of being the Dancing Queen (throwing balls every week) on noble support. The only negative I did was to execute Brin to force the vote of no confidence.

I've only done the Divination scene once, to get it for the check list.

Hazel

#18 Post by Hazel » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:52 pm

I see. I think I should try sending an Elodie to the ball with nothing but music and animal handling at her disposal. You know, for science.

Franka

#19 Post by Franka » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:22 pm

I love this game.

In the dark of night, a young girl, bound and gagged, was carried from the royal dungeons to the docks and loaded onto a ship. There she was joined by the Lumen Queen and her trusted priestess. Together they sailed west to the region where the kraken had last been spotted.
The ritual was carried out, and the sea monster was banished.

One of the young queen's closest confidants was Briony of Mead, whom Elodie formally appointed as her royal Lady-in-Waiting, and less formally, as the Lady of the Royal Bedchamber. The two carried out a very public flirtation, complete with moonlit serenades under balconies and the ritual slaying of imaginary dragons.

Ramidel

#20 Post by Ramidel » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:06 pm

In that game, you cooperated with Kevan, right? Piss Kevan off, or get engaged to Talarist, and Arisse and Fabian turn on you.

re: Lieke: If you surrendered the province, she's against you for being totally useless as a Queen and for not giving her anything. If you executed Brin, she's against you because you killed her family-by-marriage. If you turned Brin into a commoner, she's for you, because you put her husband in control of Hellas.

The only skill that matters if Banion launches his coup is Public Speaking, since if that's high enough, you can stop the vote from ever taking place. If you get to a vote of no confidence at all, your skills have no effect on it. The nobles aren't voting for or against Elodie based on her competence (if Elodie were a competent ruler, Banion wouldn't have gotten this far to begin with), they're voting for their interests.

Franka

#21 Post by Franka » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:43 pm

I was hoping that the hidden noble_approval stat had an influence on the vote, somewhere.

Hazel

#22 Post by Hazel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 am

Giving away territory to Ixion causes Lieke and Brin both to vote against you. This might have been the only time I didn't have Bennett in the vote. Naturally, Bennett owes you for making him duke and presumably will always vote in your favor.

Ramidel

#23 Post by Ramidel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 am

Franka wrote:I was hoping that the hidden noble_approval stat had an influence on the vote, somewhere.
Sadly, no.

Maybe you should try having the Dancing Queen repeatedly anger Arisse; the stat might affect that situation.

Franka

#24 Post by Franka » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Yes, it's a fine way to avoid civil war. But then I actually find it rather hard to consistently start a civil war in the first place.

Franka

#25 Post by Franka » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Best line in the game?

Agent: No common revolutionary sent you those poisoned chocolates. I would wager that the motive is more... personal.
Elodie, Crown Princess: (Personal? A romantic gift of death? Great.)

Hazel

#26 Post by Hazel » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 am

My favorite lines are from Fabian and Kevan, respectively. If you pass the court manners check in the trial for Corisande's attempted murder, he sheds some light on what Briony wrote in her coded letter: "dead and buried and not much missed." Really, unraveling that mystery was both horrifying and fascinating.

Franka

#27 Post by Franka » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Hadn't seen this ending before. It's sweet.

Freed from the need for secrecy, the Duchess Julianna and the Priestess Selene were able to announce their shared magical powers and their love. At Elodie's prompting, the lovers pledged their devotion to each other in a private ceremony, after which Selene retired from the priesthood to accompany her wife to Ursul.
As neither of them intended to bear children of the body, Julianna made arrangements for her niece Briony to be declared the next heir to the duchy of Ursul as well as the inheritor of her crystal. Briony's mother Corisande hoped that the training necessary to make her flighty daughter into a future magical girl warrior would keep her out of worse trouble.

Hazel

#28 Post by Hazel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Finally! I enjoyed my success far too much.
Despite their attempts at secrecy, there were many who had caught some glimpse of Charlotte during her captivity, and some who suspected exactly what had become of her. But you had to be careful who you shared such rumors with. If even that sweet-looking young Queen was a blood-drinking Lumen witch, how could you trust anyone?

...and also...
Elodie loved the feeling of power at her fingertips. She studied the legends of Lumens of the past: in particular, their weapons and their wars. Just how had the Old Queens summoned immortal shadows and bound them to their will? And could she do it again?
The people of Nova learned to fear their queen, who ruled with a wicked whimsy. Anyone who dared to displease her might be whipped, or beheaded, or worse - set free to spend the next month in a panic waiting for the sword to fall. Her rise to power had shaped Elodie into a cruel woman who took pleasure in the suffering of others.
Dreadful, wicked girl.

Franka

#29 Post by Franka » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:01 am

You did it the hard way, then. Good show. :twisted:

Hazel

#30 Post by Hazel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:49 pm

I did that foolish thing where I accidentally doubled up the unlocking, so I executed everyone and also went to the trouble of hiring a bard. All those points pumped into horse riding for nothing! Well, not for nothing. I have an irrational affection for the animal skills.

My current game has Arisse as a mentor but I don't know if Elodie will get her Lumen skills up in time to survive. Not sure what to try next, maybe a militant princess who leads the fleet without a single point in Lumen skills, just to see if there's any shot at it. Maybe a pretty princess who wins the approval of the commoners. Maybe just pick all the least useful skills and maximize them, and see if it's even possible to survive.