Thank you so much and Long Live the Queen!

Rule the world - or die trying!
Franka

Thank you so much and Long Live the Queen!

#1 Post by Franka » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:41 pm

I have nothing but praise for this game. It's challenging, strategic, intelligently written, adorable and highly addictive. I can easily spend 10 minutes planning my next move, cross referencing notes and getting lost in that little piano tune.

I've found that I've had to keep extensive notes, not just on when certain skill checks are coming up, but general notes on who's who and where they belong. The cast was very confusing for the first few games. If I were to make a suggestion, it would be kind of neat (and perhaps more confusing, so...) if the little pop up windows with personal info on characters were unlocked, or updated, by relevant skills.

There was just one thing that confused me, and that was the effect of mood on skills. I know it's in the brief tutorial, but I didn't catch that there was only dominant mood which took effect. At first I thought that each mood that deviated from neutral had an effect on skill growth, and was gnashing my teeth at trying to figure out why skill modifiers didn't do what I wanted them to. It was probably my own fault for not paying enough attention though.

I leave you for now with a successful story of Queen Elodie:
Once his daughter was secure on her throne, Joslyn returned to his birthplace to focus on his duties as Duke of Caloris.
He was pursued by many women, but showed little interest in remarrying, directing them instead to his brother, the Duke of Mazomba.
The subject of magic and Lumens remained a slightly uncomfortable one for the citizens of Nova. Perfectly fine for the Queen, who had inherited it by divine right, but not something that other people should be aspiring towards. Look at all the terrible things that happened when that power fell into the wrong hands!
As an openly acknowledged Lumen, Julianna, Duchess of Ursul, was met with public suspicion whenever she journeyed outside of her Duchy. At times, that suspicion was accompanied with thrown vegetables.
It did not matter that Elodie supported her fully as a member of the noble court. That only led the commoners to whisper that Julianna was a bad influence on their Queen.
Julianna's perpetually unmarried state was even more worrying to those with wagging tongues. What if that influence rubbed off on the Queen, and left Nova with no heir?
After the halt of the Shanjian invasion, relations across the western sea remained calm and trade flourished. Shanjia's expansionist phase seemed to have come to a halt.
Sometime later, a special trade ship from Shanjia arrived with a tribute for Queen Elodie. There was a beautiful harpsichord inlaid with ivory and pearl and golden roses, as well as two paintings, clearly made by children, depicting a pink-haired angel.
Elodie appeared disinclined to marry, instead enjoying herself with a stable of favorites, then discarding them as soon as they bored her.
Since one of these affairs did produce the all-important crown prince, the rest of Nova had no complaint. After all, she was the Queen. She could do whatever - and whoever - she wanted.
The social calendar throughout Elodie's reign was packed with games and galas, dances and competitions - not just for entertainment, but also to keep her rivals on their toes.
And thus Queen Elodie's legacy stretched into the future...

Franka

#2 Post by Franka » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:40 pm

I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you meet Charmion, Duchess-Consort of Kigal, and see a synopsis of her character (or any of their sons for that matter)? I got Severin, but Charmion seems to elude me.

2) I need a strong hint for "making a foreign duke my subject." This has to do with Talarist, yes?

Also, this was comedy gold:
Even within your castle it's impossible to avoid the whispers. The Mad Queen. The Bloodthirsty Queen. The Cursed Queen.
Your mother, your father, your aunt and uncle, your cousins... all dead. Even an illiterate peasant can read that omen.
The only family you have left now is your father's brother Armand, the Duke of Mazomba, and like many other nobles, he doesn't appear to be eager to speak with you right now.

I don't suppose there's a way to get rid of Armand as well? :twisted:

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:46 pm

1. Nope, Charmion never appears and has no art. (Their offspring don't have any art either, since they never speak.) It is possible to catch a glimpse of Corisande's husband, though, depending on how you handle his sister Julianna.

2. Yes, it's about Talarist. If for some reason you are needing to give him an official title in Nova, he has to give up his old title in order to take it and become your subject.

And no, Armand stays out of your way too much for you to find a pretext to have him killed. :)

Franka

#4 Post by Franka » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Yes, I do have Ignatius in my encyclopedia (he was kind enough to abstain from voting at the ball). :) Which means the character section is probably complete now.

I shall proceed to pursue Talarist!

Franka

#5 Post by Franka » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:29 pm

That was trickier than I expected, but while pursuing my evil minion status, Talarist bowed to me as well.

This marks my completion of checklists and deaths, but there's still more I want to see. I wish for an even longer checklist with even more obscure outcomes. But this was certainly worth the price! :D

Expansion, please? :lol:

Ramidel

#6 Post by Ramidel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:11 am

How did you get the ending involving a stable of favorites?

Franka

#7 Post by Franka » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:25 am

I get this most of the time. Generally speaking, I avoid all possible marriage commitments throughout the game, dance with someone scandalous at the ball (unless this lands me Brin) and choose no one to pursue at the end.

Darksilverhawk

#8 Post by Darksilverhawk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Franka wrote: Also, this was comedy gold:
Even within your castle it's impossible to avoid the whispers. The Mad Queen. The Bloodthirsty Queen. The Cursed Queen.
Your mother, your father, your aunt and uncle, your cousins... all dead. Even an illiterate peasant can read that omen.
The only family you have left now is your father's brother Armand, the Duke of Mazomba, and like many other nobles, he doesn't appear to be eager to speak with you right now.
How do you get this? If dear old dad gets killed she doesn't want to meet with her agent, and to take Lucille out earlier you need Lumen so you can't get Joslyn to take on Togami for you. What am I missing?

hanako
Site Admin

#9 Post by hanako » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:37 pm

If dear old dad gets killed she doesn't want to meet with her agent
That's dependent on Elodie's mood. If you can manage to make her something other than depressed by the time that agent tries to report in, she can decide to go all VENGEANCE.

Franka

#10 Post by Franka » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Indeed. If you made sure to be very Afraid, Yielding or Lonely (I was terribly afraid), you can still get your Jason mask on. "Off with their heads!"

Darksilverhawk

#11 Post by Darksilverhawk » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:14 am

Haha, got it! Miserable Elodie = Bloodthirsty Elodie. That is vicious. This game really does need a longer checklist; I've long since completed it but still find new stuff all the time.

Franka

#12 Post by Franka » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:20 am

Still having fun times with this. My pursuit of Brin finally paid off (it's so hard to just stick to one goal per game). Who's the father here, I wonder? Did Banion do the two of them a favor?

Though she received many proposals, Queen Elodie appeared to have little interest in marriage. When she was not occupied with running the country, she spent much of her time with her companion Brin, the Duchess of Hellas.
Despite her lack of husband, Queen Elodie did produce an heir to the throne - a daughter. The child was acknowledged; the father never was.

The confusing entanglements variation is kind of cruel, and that last line pretty creepy. All she needs now is to get romantically involved with him. :lol:

Elodie proposed marriage to Banion, the Duke of Maree, and was accepted. They were attended at their wedding by Elodie's father Joslyn and Banion's sister Brin, who were themselves recently wed.
The complicated family entanglements continued through the years. Brin and Elodie developed a close friendship and were more often seen with each other than with their respective husbands, and their children considered themselves more siblings than cousins.
Which meant that the future Duke of Caloris would be Elodie's half-brother, nephew, and pseudo-step-son, all at the same time.

Ramidel

#13 Post by Ramidel » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:19 am

Franka wrote:Still having fun times with this. My pursuit of Brin finally paid off (it's so hard to just stick to one goal per game). Who's the father here, I wonder? Did Banion do the two of them a favor?
Elodie grabs a random male servant, yanks him into her bedroom and tells him to make her a baby and keep his mouth shut afterwards?

After all, she is the queen, and she can do whatever- and whoever- she wants. :P

Franka

#14 Post by Franka » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:09 am

Depends on her mood, I suppose :lol:

Franka

#15 Post by Franka » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:29 am

I may be a mean queen, but I'm a good queen, dammit!

Banion, Duke of Maree, Earl of Serenitatis: The vote of Maree is for change.
Joslyn, King Dowager, Duke of Caloris: Caloris stands with the Queen.
Laurent, Duke of Merva: She is my sister's child, and I her stated heir. I cannot vote. I abstain.
Armand, Duke of Mazomba: Mazomba stands with the Queen.
Julianna, Duchess of Ursul: Ursul stands with the Queen.
Severin, Duke of Kigal: Kigal stands with the Queen
Lieke, Duchess-Regent of Sudbury, Countess of Dis: Sudbury votes for change.
Corisande, Duchess of Mead: This process is distasteful. I abstain.
Arisse, Duchess of Lillah: Lillah stands with the Queen.
Fabian, Duke-Regent of Elath, Earl of Titan: Elath agrees with Lillah.
Bennett, Duke of Hellas: Hellas stands with the Queen.
You do a bit of quick tallying in your head and realise... you've won!
Elodie, Crown Princess: The votes have been cast, and I remain Queen.
Elodie, Crown Princess: And you remain a traitor to the realm.
Elodie, Crown Princess: One who has just attempted to lead a coup.
Elodie, Crown Princess: Your life will be your apology.
Elodie, Crown Princess: GUARDS!