Loved the game, and a question about resolution to Brin

Rule the world - or die trying!
Sheri

Loved the game, and a question about resolution to Brin

#1 Post by Sheri » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:59 pm

I'd love if there was an expansion pack, like maybe for the first year after the coronation with us as queen... I mean, it seems to me that there'd be just as many problems after we get the crown as BEFORE. but anyway, I still had a lot of fun with the game!

Anyway, on to the actual question... Spoilers below!

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to do the HTML for spoilers. Anyway!

I can't quite decide what's the 'morally right' resolution to the conflict between Brin and the occupiers. I know she started the war with them, but forcing her to marry against her will just feels... reprehensible. Even though I interestingly enough got a private conversation between Eliode and Brin about how Brin could get out of the engagement... I also don't feel comfortable executing her or making her a commoner, especially since I can't be certain what the cause of the whole fight initially was. By that same token, is it better for me to just... LUMEN THE HECK out of the occupiers rather than force that situation on Brin? Brin antagonized them, so they're... in the right? I guess?

So, what do YOU think is the more 'just' and 'fair' resolution? I admittedly never learned too much about Brin, as when I danced with her at the gala for the checklist, I got flowers and failed my poison check, so I reloaded. I kinda assumed I was about to die, but maybe I should've kept going.

firegirl957

#2 Post by firegirl957 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:13 am

Between the 3 having her marrying Lyxionite (I hope I spelt it right) is the most diplomatic way of handling it. It's also is the the option were her brother isn't as pissed off and wont create as much "trouble" if you had chosen to execute her (which will raise your cruelty bar) or make her a commoner.

Personally I agree on punishing her since it is her problem so why should Elodie have to waste soldiers just to save her ass? Although on the same token I do like her a bit so I usually try to intimidate them so they can back off (which also makes everyone happy and no problems with Banion).

About the flowers while they are Poisonous they won't actually kill you. So you don't have to worry about whether you should accepting them or not.
Last edited by firegirl957 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:46 am

That poison check is entirely there to mess with your head. :) They would be poisonous if you ate them, but why would you do that?

Ramidel

#4 Post by Ramidel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:08 am

Here's my favored solutions from a moral perspective:

Marrying Brin to an Ixionite: Nobody gets screwed over (even if Brin gets screwed), Brin is lightly punished and the dispute is permanently solved. Yes, Brin is a lesbian, but given the context of a medieval kingdom, she really doesn't automatically have the right to decide whether or whom she marries, and it's her job to produce an heir somehow. This would actually be my favorite from a "fairness" standpoint.

Having the Accounting skill to pay Ixion off cheaply: Elodie compensates Ixion for the trouble, ensures that there'll be no more of this, and secures the loyalty of two important nobles (which is worth the expense from Elodie's perspective). And Brin can repay Elodie a little more personally, if Her Majesty is so inclined. :wink:

Telling Ixion to back off, and having the Presence to enforce it (or the necklace): From a Machiavellian perspective, what's good for the Queen is, by definition, the moral thing to do, and this solution lets you keep what Brin tried to take (if you play your cards right) and ensure peace going forward at no cost to you. Brin may have gone off her leash, but it's still your feudal obligation to protect her and her brother when things hit the fan.

Kirroha

#5 Post by Kirroha » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:41 am

Also, blasting them with Lumen magic works too.

Sheri

#6 Post by Sheri » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:15 am

I honestly never considered the bribing option. I kept thinking that the nobles would get angry at me for it... but maybe that WOULD be better, especially since I focus on my accounting early in order to... meet a certain check. :) There was also the fact that I felt like I was paying for Brin's greed, and that idea was sort of reinforced when I spoke to the king about it and he confirmed that your mother didn't get involved specifically because it was their mess.

I guess I overreacted over the flowers. Or rather, I had precisely the response the game was going for? :lol: Either way, while it is tempting to go through the game again for Brin... I'd rather not upset the Duchess and mess up my Lumen powers.

Ramidel

#7 Post by Ramidel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:28 am

The nobles don't care what you do with the treasury; they're not the ones footing the bill, after all. Though yes, you are paying to bail out Brin, doing so secures the loyalty of your southern dukes, which is money well spent.

Also, you can learn Lumen without Julianna. If you send her away, Selene will take up your education herself.