Favorite Pairings for Elodie (endgame spoilers)

Rule the world - or die trying!
Measured

Re: Favorite Pairings for Elodie (endgame spoilers)

#46 Postby Measured » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:49 pm

I came into the game for the f/f options, and Brin/Elodie and Briony/Elodie do not disappoint. I wish they had more endings, but I understand the game isn't focus on romance per se and am very thankful for the developers allowing the chance for a more varied playthrough in their games.

Perhaps my one caveat with Brin is that between her loyalty to Banion and her past affair with Lucille, I'm surprised she didn't have any darker endings, or that those didn't come into play with either Lucille or Banion trying to sabotage their relationship or use Brin as a pawn.

(I guess that's what fic is for! I'll have to write that...)
Last edited by Measured on Thu May 19, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mir

#47 Postby Mir » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:44 am

Measured wrote:Plus, the new content shows he apparently didn't kill Adair in that path,

I don't think he's in the clear, personally.

Actually, hold on. I need to make something clear before I continue. I'm thinking the comments I've made are making it seem like I hate Talarist, when he's actually one of my favorites. This is just one of those weird cases where I talk a lot of smack about about a character I like (the only times I think I've actually been actually disgusted with him in posts here was when I found out some of the dummied-out stuff about him. ...Which, while I think is underhanded and gross compared to what happened with Adair when he and Elodie were in the same situation, I can see why he'd take that route.)

ANYWAY
, I personally do think that Talarist is responsible for Adair's death not because he's some irredeemable monster, but because he's a member of the House of Sedna. If he's denied inheritance of Elath in favor of a Novan he can't marry, he invades and tries to take it for himself. If Elodie publicly jilts him for Banion or Thaddeus, he uses it as justification to try to take Elath by force. He calls Elath his "birthright". If his family's feelings are similar to his, I can completely see them taking whatever steps necessary to obtain the duchy for themselves.

The new content made it explicit that he wasn't responsible for the deaths of Adair's grandmother and aunt, though this could be discerned from the foreign intelligence lessons in the older versions (Talarist is twenty-six, but the deaths of Adair's grandmother and aunt happened twenty years ago. He can't have done anything when he was six). That's why I think it was the Sednan Ducal Family that was behind it - their family would have the biggest grievance against Elath's current Ducal Family, and if Talarist is still upset about it however many generations later, then they seem to be a constant in that family. I could see them having the patience to potentially enact a multi-generational plot to obtain "justice" and finally get their line back on the Elathian Ducal Seat. As the Duke, Talarist would be the head of the family, meaning he'd be responsible for this coming to pass.

On the other hand, there's only been rumors that Sednan spies were responsible for the deaths in Elath's Ducal Family. No one with Sednan connections were tied to the deaths of Adair's grandmother and aunt, and no one was ever actually caught in Adair's death. The pieces seem to fit, but then again there are instances where all the pieces seem to fit but the conclusion they lead to is wrong. Elodie can have reason to think that her uncle is trying to kill her to become king, or that Arisse would harm Adair, or that Julianna is responsible for her mother's death. She's wrong on all counts (Lucille is trying to kill her, Arisse will protect Adair, and Togami is behind her mother's death). I think there was one comment that Hanako made that implied to me that there might be more people than just the Sednan Ducal Family that would want Talarist either on the throne of Nova or as Duke of Elath. I may be completely misinterpreting what she said (and I apologize if I am), but I could see multiple Talassian interests coming together in Talarist having power in Nova. Elath is a rich territory known for its mining operations, so Sednan businesses, perhaps the Talassian crown itself, could benefit from someone with Talassian sympathies able to affect policy in Nova. It's possible someone from those camps could have been responsible for the deaths. It is also possible that they were working with the Sednans to pick off the Elathians for their own interests. We don't know.

The only real evidence we have against Talarist being involved in Adair's death are his own words and Elodie's failure to find any proof against them* (if she's not cruel). However, the only evidence we have for him being involved in Adair's death is a bunch of circumstancial evidence and no solid proof. I don't know if we can say if he did or did not for sure. (I personally think that he either did do it or was aware of it, though, due to the impression I get about his family and because he's competent, cunning, and perceptive enough that I cannot personally see him not being aware of the plans, especially regarding something so important to him. However, it is not impossible, especially if the plots didn't originate in Sedna.)

My two cents.

However, as of the beta content, I gotta hand it, he can potentially be a fantastic King consort for Elodie.
But I agree 100% with this. He was amazing at the gala - skilled, experience, mostly tactful.... And I've never had any reason to doubt the happiness of his and Elodie's marriage and his devotion to his daughters in that one ending. (Even in the other endings, he doesn't appear to be constantly undermining her like Banion does, either. I did get the impression that he was trying to distract Elodie for his own benefit in the new content for their engagement ending, but it's still not quite the constant undermining and worse from most of Banion's solo endings.)

*I personally think that's because any proof would be in Talasse and that he would never bring it up for the sake of protecting his status as king and Talasse's interests.
**I'm getting into wild mass guessing here, but it did strike me a little while ago that he's only three years younger than Adair's mother. Considering his own willingness to marry himself off to advance his interests in Elath, I'm wondering if perhaps his family ever tried pushing him as a marriage prospect for Cayleigh. If he becomes Duke of Elath in his own right, he leaves his position as Duke of Sedna, so someone can take over if he's not in Talasse (his brother?). I'm just saying, if the Sednans were really pushing the idea of a marriage between Cayleigh and Talarist, that might have been another factor in why Cayleigh was married off so young to Fabian.

indigomay

#48 Postby indigomay » Fri May 08, 2015 1:26 am

I've got a soft spot for Briony/Elodie and Brin/Elodie. I also enjoy every unnamed epilogue person that sweeps her off her feet. I'm pretty fond of Kevan/Elodie. Also, while Talarist is a slimeball, his lines at the ball made me giggle aloud.
Last edited by indigomay on Fri May 08, 2015 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

indigomay

#49 Postby indigomay » Fri May 08, 2015 1:30 am

plutokiss wrote:I also like Elodie and Linley. They seem to make a pretty sweet couple.

How'd you get them married?

Mir

#50 Postby Mir » Fri May 08, 2015 4:25 am

indigomay wrote:
plutokiss wrote:I also like Elodie and Linley. They seem to make a pretty sweet couple.

Dance with Linley at the ball (either by picking him directly or picking "Someone About Your Age"). You can select him at the end of the game.

indigomay

#51 Postby indigomay » Fri May 08, 2015 5:48 pm

Mir wrote:
indigomay wrote:

Dance with Linley at the ball (either by picking him directly or picking "Someone About Your Age"). You can select him at the end of the game.

Thank you! I'm going to do that next playthrough.

GSN22

#52 Postby GSN22 » Sun May 10, 2015 4:55 am

What's in the dummied-out content that was mentioned earlier?

Also, what I'm curious to know is.... who'd be the most valuable husband?

Would Talarist actually be a good husband or would he be obsessed with undermining Elodie once he becomes king?

Mir

#53 Postby Mir » Sun May 10, 2015 4:31 pm

GSN22 wrote:What's in the dummied-out content that was mentioned earlier?
It's (or part of it) is in the translation file, in the marriages section.

I've gotten I think maybe all of Talarist's marriage endings, and what kind of husband he is seems to depend on what his and Elodie's circumstances were when they got married. At least that's how I interpret it. The only ending that seemed to me as him being actively undermining her was if they get married after getting engaged in-game without any delays, which kind of comes off like "him trying to distract her from her duties with nice things so he can carve out a place of his own in Nova's nobility." The marriages can turn out poorly for other reasons, but nothing really indicates an ongoing power struggle between the two otherwise. If he and Elodie marry later on while Adair is alive, Elodie can have children, and he's not upset with her about anything, they actually seem happy together. I mean obviously he's out to advance himself, but the constant obvious undermining seems like it's more a Banion-without-Brin thing to me. :p

I guess who would be the most valuable husband really depends on what you want out of your marriage, I guess? For international relations, probably Talarist, his brother (though I don't think Talarist would be an ally of yours, considering the circumstances), or the nameless foreign duke. For connections at home? Probably Thaddeus, Linley, or a successfully-wedded Kevan, due to their family connections (Kiran might work for a little while, but once he learns the truth about his mother's death...). Adair's territory is rich and making him part of the royal family protects him and his line, and he's also connected to the Duchess of Lillah (and the future Duke, Kiran) through his father's marriage, so there you go. Banion is supposed to be powerful and influential, so there's him, but I'd involve Brin somehow unless you both have very similar political goals. Not sure how useful Ignatius is. He's the father of the future Duchess of Mead, but she thinks the marriage is gross and I'm not sure if the current Duchess would be insulted by the queen favoring her ex-husband.

Or do you define valuable as in "less likely to actually be able to mount a threat against you"? A minor earl like the Earl of Pastries might be best, or a respectable someone that's clearly devoted to you/doesn't want to put up a fight might be best.

GSN22

#54 Postby GSN22 » Sun May 10, 2015 5:58 pm

I'd probably go with Talarist's brother, it'd allow Elodie to enjoy winning the trade dispute. :) Besides that, Talarist acts pretty damned sketchy throughout many parts of the game. Talarist might not be so bad if you go for a more delayed romance.

Gamer

#55 Postby Gamer » Sat May 23, 2015 6:24 am

Hey, shouldn't the epilogue reflect Elodie's fickle nature if she is engaged to Talarist and still danced with Banion at the gala who she will expressly inform of her intentions to use him and drop him later? There didn't seem to actually be any negative consequences for Elodie dancing with another suitor at the gala if she is already engaged (unless she decided to leave him for Banion after.) I also didn't see anything happen if Elodie happened to be engaged to either of these men and still accepted Brin's flowers, or hit on Sabine or offer marriage alliance with the King of Shanjia (though both will reject her regardless).

Ramidel

#56 Postby Ramidel » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:23 am

The way I saw it, there was no indication that Elodie and Banion actually did anything together besides dancing twice. If Elodie says "I'll use you, then dump you," what she's doing is mocking the idea that Banion can damage her honor by announcing that they're having an affair. There's no actual fickleness involved in that.

And Elodie can give a dance to whoever she wants. She may or may not be saying anything by her choice of dancing partner.

Pokota

#57 Postby Pokota » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:08 pm

I haven't actually gone through victoriously enough times to have a solid opinion on this but I do like Talarist as a character, it's just I want to get through a game and get his "Oh hey I'm not actually a Gold Digger" ending. Other than Talarist-In-Nova and Elodie-In-Sedna, the only other ending I've managed to get is the Duke of Pastry, which that sort of ending is one I love if for no other reason that it implies she rejected every other suitor in the name of actually looking for love. Which I suppose would be a reason for me to try for the f/f endings.
Earl of Thing. Yep, that's definitely Kevan's title.

Mir

#58 Postby Mir » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:24 am

Pokota wrote:I do like Talarist as a character, it's just I want to get through a game and get his "Oh hey I'm not actually a Gold Digger" ending.

...Do you mean the ending where he and Elodie raise a happy family together? :p

I would recommend the F/F endings for that. There's also Evrard, though his marriage requirements are rather tricky.

ark99k

#59 Postby ark99k » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:56 pm

I liked most of them! I'm debating between Talerist (Where you chose him at the end) and Ancient because it was so sweet! But I also like Evrard's character... And Adair's... Banion has a really entertaining ending...
This might take a while.
★Shining like a star!★

Pokota

#60 Postby Pokota » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:13 pm

I think I said this in the other thread, but I generally take Talarist early on as a precaution - I don't like Dead Elodies, so having her alive in Sedna is preferable to her being dead in Nova when it comes time to lose to the Shanjian Army. Plus disregarding the border dispute, Talarist doesn't... come across as overtly evil (I do find the cruel Elodie disappointment to be amusing)
Earl of Thing. Yep, that's definitely Kevan's title.

Return to “Long Live The Queen”