A random question for Hanako

Rule the world - or die trying!
jamieth

A random question for Hanako

#1 Post by jamieth » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:06 am

I've been browsing LemmaSoft forums today, and happened to stumble upon the following conversation:
Anarchy wrote:I'm curious, papillon - were the three subskills thing inspired by the skill system in Academagia?
papillon wrote:Not exactly. It was more that when I first started writing out piles of skills that I thought would be useful, enough of them naturally grouped into three kind-of-related-things that I thought I should just run with that.
So, I've been wondering, if that's not a secret...
when you were writing that pile of skills, what exactly caused you to include, in the list of skills a princess might find useful, flexibility?
Mind you, it was the last straw for me in deciding to slice out some cash - at first, I looked at the screenshots and thought, "heh, cute art!. Then, I read the description, and some forum threads, and thought, wow, a raising sim about a game of thrones - sounds fun. And then, I downloaded the demo, and was all like, They have Flexibility as a skill? Oh-kay, I'm buying it...
(That last paragraph, by the way, is completely true. I just happen to have a... thing about flexibility and contortion...)

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:44 pm

I really don't remember where that came from... My suspicion would be that reflexes and dance were in the earliest list and then after things started falling into groups of three, flexibility seemed like the most obvious way to fill out that triplet. Had to do some research first to be sure that it was something that could be trained and improved! :)

jamieth

#3 Post by jamieth » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:05 pm

I see. Well, I expected something like that:-)
But, according to the Big List of Skill Check Values, you then managed to actually make it useful - I like that:-) though I haven't triggered any of them yet...
Speaking of which, while I can imagine the use of flexibility checks - first and foremost, hiding somewhere (luggage compartment in a carriage is a classic:-)), what completely befound me is [spoiler]polearms + flexibility >= 100[/spoiler]. So, if that would be possible to answer without major spoilers... what does this particular one entails?

Rhidian

#4 Post by Rhidian » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:51 pm

My random guess would be in the Jousting tournament, where Polearms (the weapon) and Flexibility (for dodging the opponent's polearm) might go hand in hand.

8)

Wraith_Magus

#5 Post by Wraith_Magus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:53 am

Honestly, I thought of one of those wire-fu movies where the characters fight off 20 random goons at once by swinging a spear around in circles while doing crazy splits and such... or that one Jackie Chan movie where a goon picked up a ladder, and Jackie kept jumping through the rungs in the ladder in between fighting the other goons.

... Somehow, I doubt such a scene actually exists, though, no matter how good your polearm-contorting skills may be.

(Or you could use a spear to pole-vault over a wall...)

Rhidian

#6 Post by Rhidian » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:28 am

Seems like the Jousting tournament just uses Polearms and Horses... no Flexibility

So basically I have no idea where it's at 8)

Kirroha

#7 Post by Kirroha » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:13 am

It happens when the Earl of Io challenges you to a duel, and you accept, and choose Staves instead of swords.

chouette

#8 Post by chouette » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:17 pm

You also need them in order to fight off/kill a would-be assassin - but you have to have REALLY upset someone for that to happen!