which skills aren't worth the time?

Rule the world - or die trying!
HoshiGiniro

which skills aren't worth the time?

#1 Post by HoshiGiniro » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:38 pm

i would like to know which skills i don't have to develop for skill checks at all .... like the only reason to develop them is so the other skill in the group can go above 50

Muse

#2 Post by Muse » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:00 pm

I don't think there are skills like that. There are tons of skill checks across all of the skill sets, as far as I can tell.

HoshiGiniro

#3 Post by HoshiGiniro » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:07 pm

well then i want to know which ones there are that don't really need to be developed past 25 cause their checks are low level....

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Post by hanako » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:17 pm

I think that's what Rhidian was trying to do with that list of skill checks topic. It's NOT listed by when the checks happen, it's just a big list of what skill checks for any particular skill will happen at some point in some subplot.

But since the plot changes based on your choices, you may or may not encounter any of those tests on any particular playthrough.

gronk

#5 Post by gronk » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:56 am

I think there is an "obvious" main path along which you'll get to the end.
Along this path sticking to a few skill sets you will have no problems reaching the end.
Eventually i'll do a "minimal" run to determine the exact minimum skills required to get through the "safe" pass.

Ignoring everything else with these goals:
* bluff in foreign encounters without upsetting nobility
* impress at the parade
* impress at the ball
* get an early warning and win the war (the traditional way)
* survive the tournament (with the help of some friends)
You will need (pretty much in this order) Conversation, Royal Demeanor, Intrigue (40 points), Animal Handling, Military and Lumen.
Spending something like 750 points, you can ignore everything else and will have something like 500 skill points to spend on whatever you want.
And at the end everyone should love you.

However you will miss out on a lot of background information and lore plus you will likely miss some of the cooler twists in this game.
Trying to get everything on the checklist (i.e. encountered a tentacle monster) you will most likely need several runs with different sets of skills so depending on what you go for any skill might be important for a specific combination.

Note that having a lot of skill sets at the 30 range will likely not help as much as you think. (see the big list of checks)
Also important is probably that a LOT of the triggers which way you can go down are towards the beginning of the game when the timing of skill checks is quite tight (3 of the above 5 goals and both of the "invention achievements" are prior to week 17)

Hope that helps :)

Hicks

#6 Post by Hicks » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:12 pm

All the skills are useful, there's that many paths to experience.

On the path I did which I survived in I didn't need to study any of the skills in the green "Physical" box.

It'll depend on what you want to find out, what type of Queen you want to be.

Half the fun is in the experiementation!

RedSocialKnight

#7 Post by RedSocialKnight » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:02 am

Hicks wrote:All the skills are useful
But most are replaceable, while a few are, from what I've seen, absolutely necessary for a non-lethal playthrough.

I tried a couple of times to make a brainy-but-shy queenlet. No go. Really no go. I don't think you can get much further than the ball without going fairly heavily into Royal Demeanor and Conversation. They will rebel and kill you.

Not that I'm bitter.

Soulbringer

#8 Post by Soulbringer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:54 pm

I cant think of one skill that isnt replaceable by another skill...

And for the play through betting everything on one skill will get you killed :P

...i think i need to mess around some more with the game, have yet to lose cause of a rebellion... usually i just squish em...

RedSocialKnight

#9 Post by RedSocialKnight » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:26 am

RedSocialKnight wrote:I don't think you can get much further than the ball without going fairly heavily into Royal Demeanor and Conversation.
FALSE.

I just hit coronation while ignoring both those skills completely.

Rhidian

#10 Post by Rhidian » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:06 am

Really, it's all about who you make angry. The skills in general tend to be like this:

Social Skills- Used to keep people happy (or at the very least, not angry)

Physical Skills- Used to avoid assassination attempts (from the angry folks)

Intelligence Skills- Used to get more information on what's going on behind the scenes

Lumen Skills- For when you need to fight magic with magic

Mind you, this is just a general description of what they're used for, as all the skills have various niche uses throughout the game. In the end it's a combination of choices and skills that will get Elodie to the throne. 8)