Great game

Rule the world - or die trying!
Insanity66

Great game

#1 Post by Insanity66 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:30 pm

And I'm not sorry I've bought it.
I want to say what I've liked, what I didn't and make some suggestions, if you don't mind.
What I've liked:
-the story-well written
-the main character-expressively drawn
-the leveling system- so and so, sometimes you lose points if you are close to 50 and you start learning that skill
-the many branches of the story
-the idea

What I didn't like:
-the mood is not explained very well. If I'm scared, what skill does go up quicker? How about loneliness? Or something else? Maybe I was supposed to figure it out by myself, but it's not something I find out to be fun.
-too scripted. There is a lot of dialogue that you skip when you play the game for the n-th time, and sometimes you pass over unread dialogue because you don't expect to have a skill check there.

Sugestions:
-put some random events in the game.
-have maybe a map in the game, and some percentage bars that show you how well liked you are by certain people/factions
-more secrets, things to discover and that only appear if you play a certain way
-more branches (you never have enough, you know what I mean?)
-the random events could be related to an activity, like "explore the forest" or something like that.

Anarchy

#2 Post by Anarchy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:21 pm

-have maybe a map in the game, and some percentage bars that show you how well liked you are by certain people/factions
This might be a good idea for those of us trying to prevent/get civil war. Perhaps it could be implemented in the "test bubble" system. Like when events/tests cause factions to dislike you, a bubble could pop up saying so?

...oh wait but then spoilers. And part of the fun of the game is that you never know who's going to stab you in the back anyway. Never mind then.

Atarun

#3 Post by Atarun » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Insanity66 wrote:-too scripted. There is a lot of dialogue that you skip when you play the game for the n-th time, and sometimes you pass over unread dialogue because you don't expect to have a skill check there.
Er... I don't get it. For me scripted means an event unfolds the same way whatever you do, so it's the exact opposite of having skill checks right in the middle of long dialogues. What do you mean by scripted, then?
Anarchy wrote: ...oh wait but then spoilers. And part of the fun of the game is that you never know who's going to stab you in the back anyway. Never mind then.
Yeah... I don't think faction meters would fit in with the overall punishing a,d mysterious atmosphere of the game. Of course, if it can be deactivated (like the skill check bubbles), then nobody can complain, but I wouldn't want it crammed into all playthroughs, especially when just dicovering the game.

Insanity66

#4 Post by Insanity66 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:41 pm

I mean, I would like the game to choose from a list of random events and throw them at me, like in King of dragon pass, if anyone knows this old game (it's similar with this one).

Anarchy

#5 Post by Anarchy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:21 am

Not used to the VN play style, are ya? :P Skipping dialogue is par for the course. In fact, I like that it's a more scripted experience than your typical game - it just makes for a better story.

franky

#6 Post by franky » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:14 am

Greetings, just wanted to pass by and wish some praise, and figured this was the most relevant thread so as to avoid creating a new one (i intend to do that for another topic :P).

Basically stumbled upon an lp of this game, liked the concept and having had positive experiences with these type of indie games, felt compelled to give it a buy. Ain't regreted it and have done quite a few playthroughs already ^^

Only complaint i have is I felt game was short (a year flies by quickly doesn't it? :\) and can blitz through it in an hour in my playthroughs (granted its cos i skip the text when i know it so its a big factor) but the content is gold and i had tons of fun playing.

Cheers!