Concerns about this game

Rule the world - or die trying!
MrMRA

#16 Post by MrMRA » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:22 am

Magical Diary is great, but this is my most favoritist Hanako game so far!!!

Ooo, death sequences! Tongue-in-cheek death sequences ala Space Quest would be awesomenaity. I'd pay extra for an expansion pack. Some more splash screen graphics would be cool, too!

My Queen just killed a guy in a duel because of her mad decoration skillz while in her Priestess Garb. Weeee! So fantastic! My Queen married a pastry chef-noble-dude after spurning all suitors!!! Love it!!!!!! Pastries for all! Decorated by Her Highness!

Such a great game. I did avoid the civil war on my first play through. Not sure how, though -- it was my first go around, so wasn't really analyzing. Got the war the second time around. Her head now adorns the palace walls. I feel bad, but, you can't mess with the Queen.

All of a sudden this reminds me of Game of Thrones. Which is usually too dark for me.

Anyway, I think Long Live the Queen is FANTASTIC. I have no idea why I like this game so much, I just do.

Cheers,
-mra

TheChristianBrony

#17 Post by TheChristianBrony » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:51 am

Dude...you scare me lol. remind me to never get on your bad side XD

skyrunner620

#18 Post by skyrunner620 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:50 am

My biggest complaint; I wish the game was longer! Surviving to the coronation is fun and all, but it'd be awesome to see how Elodie fares in her queenly duties post-coronation. My lesser complaint; the game-play is a bit uneven. Skills that see too much use or too little, moods that are too good or too bad, skill checks that are too harsh or too lenient, if the balance was touched up it would be a better experience.

evaporate

#19 Post by evaporate » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Sorry about resurrecting this thread, but I agree wholeheartedly with the original poster.

First of all, let me say that the premise behind the game is excellent, the plot is compelling, the UI is easy to navigate, and the characters are generally well written.

However, I feel that the game mechanics are flawed. Hanako, you said that the "game is evil", that it was "meant to be hard" -- but there's a difference between creating a fun challenge and just imposing artificial difficulty on a game in order to make it more replayable. LLtQ unfortunately falls into the latter category.

I know that dying over and over again is the game's selling point, but that doesn't make it unique or interesting, it just makes it a bad game (compared to your other works). If you've ever played Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, those games are incredibly challenging, but still reward player skill. This game rewards making excel sheets and writing down your decisions and doing boring trial and error replays.

I think this is the point that the original poster was making. You need to stop defending this game by saying its difficulty is its selling point; games can be hard and fun, but unfortunately, LLTQ isn't.

Hicks

#20 Post by Hicks » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:33 pm

evaporate wrote:Sorry about resurrecting this thread, but I agree wholeheartedly with the original poster.

First of all, let me say that the premise behind the game is excellent, the plot is compelling, the UI is easy to navigate, and the characters are generally well written.

However, I feel that the game mechanics are flawed. Hanako, you said that the "game is evil", that it was "meant to be hard" -- but there's a difference between creating a fun challenge and just imposing artificial difficulty on a game in order to make it more replayable. LLtQ unfortunately falls into the latter category.

I know that dying over and over again is the game's selling point, but that doesn't make it unique or interesting, it just makes it a bad game (compared to your other works). If you've ever played Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, those games are incredibly challenging, but still reward player skill. This game rewards making excel sheets and writing down your decisions and doing boring trial and error replays.

I think this is the point that the original poster was making. You need to stop defending this game by saying its difficulty is its selling point; games can be hard and fun, but unfortunately, LLTQ isn't.
It's worth remembering that not everyone will find the same things fun. While yes LLTQ can be played in a trial and error manner - to do so would be with the intention of going for one single outcome. It is entirely possible to simply play the character and explore the range of outcomes. If it were easy to get to the end then there would be less impetus to experiment and try different routes and approaches. Having tried a socially, a militarily and a magic orientated queen I've got the options of trying a religious or artistic, or exploring combinations. I know that the "main" goal is to survive til the coronation but I also have side stories that I can explore and a means of doing so. For me finding out more about the world and its characters is a reward structure.

Defending the difficulty can be argued as defending the encouragement for re-playability.

You just simply didn't enjoy the way it was presented, doesn't make the title flawed. Just not something you enjoy.

hanako
Site Admin

#21 Post by hanako » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:30 pm

I defend it because an awful lot of people do find it to be fun. :) It's not a title for everyone, and I certainly wouldn't stop making other kinds of games and make only games like this, but there are a lot of people who really enjoy the kind of challenge it offers.

Sheri

#22 Post by Sheri » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:11 pm

I definitely enjoyed the game, a lot. And my only real complaint is that I wish it was longer.

Different strokes for different folks. Just because you didn't like the game, that doesn't mean it's a bad game. I personally had a ton of fun playing it and I look forward to more games like it. I think I only died twice in the game... and I always stagger my saves, so I can reload to a previous save in case things go... poorly.

Sachiko

#23 Post by Sachiko » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:08 pm

I have enjoyed the game as well. I share the same concern as Sheri (Although only partly, see ahead), but I find that replaying again and again and taking note of the things that happen and what do you need to do to make them happen is one of the big hooks of thig thing. That said, it IS frustrating to try and get a certain event to happen, only to find your planning was flawed and the event does not happen as you wanted. That is where the game's shortness becomes a strength rather than a flaw, however. Since a playthrough takes very little time, you can start from scratch quite easily and plan another strategy just as quickly.
Vice corrects better than virtue. Suffer a vicious person and you will fear vice. Suffer a virtuous one and you will hate virtue itself - Tony Duvert.

Aqouze

#24 Post by Aqouze » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 am

I agree with the original poster. At first i play the demo... it seem fun and the plot look complex.. but when i purchase i keep dying likes 10 times+ and it's not fun anymore so i give up and go search for other people log just to finish a game.

i love dark and evil plot but the thing i don't like about this game is... there is no hint, every test come as random and what to do to finish is by taking note.

if possible, for next update I would love an easy mode with 5-10 extra weeks in the beginning, so i can have spare time to thrown some useless stat there. ( as free time slot so i can make an error during a game)

hanako
Site Admin

#25 Post by hanako » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:05 am

Once the new art is finished I will be updating the game's sale page to have a little dead Elodie on it, which will help make things clearer. :)

Oki

#26 Post by Oki » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:49 pm

I love the game, so I'm not sure what people say. But then again there's only ever been one Hanako Games game I did not enjoy whatsoever, but this one. This one was sure fun times.

/ plays it some more /
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

Serenity_Hotaru

#27 Post by Serenity_Hotaru » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:04 am

I really do love this game. It's my favorite out of all of Hanako's games.

Although, I do agree with skyrunner620 about one thing.
skyrunner620 wrote:... the game-play is a bit uneven. Skills that see too much use or too little, moods that are too good or too bad, skill checks that are too harsh or too lenient, if the balance was touched up it would be a better experience.
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Annoying the community with useless information and questions since Day 1 of my membership.