Week 36 Encounter (Duel)

Rule the world - or die trying!
Rozelliee

Week 36 Encounter (Duel)

#1 Post by Rozelliee » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 am

I've been having a world of frustration in Week 36 trying to beat the one on one battle with the foreign prince after the loss of the Naval War!

Up to that point, I had completely disregarded Lumen magic. After Magical Diary I was all magic'd out, plus I figured I could always find other ways to avoid magic-y situations. So imaaagine my surprise when this character decides that- to save my country and keep my life he wants a one on one magic battle. I died.

So I after I was done yelling I reloaded to week 29 and raised my magicks to a high level. Then I get to the fight, again, everything is going smoothly, until the Princess who, until this point, has not touched a sword ingame, decides to cast a spell requiring her to wield a sword and use it. Long story short, he grabs it, she dies. Again.

Then came me quitting the game and stomping around my house complaining about the game not giving me a break.

TL;DR: So, now that I know what else I have to cram after I reload, are there any more surprises I should look forward to in that fight, and is there any way to avoid it altogether after the loss of the Naval war?

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:40 am

*giggle* (Sorry, I shouldn't laugh, I'm just imagining your avatar stomping around in a rage, god-tier-hoodie dragging behind him)

If you pass that swords check, that's the last one and you will win the duel.

EDIT: Since this topic was created the duel has been edited somewhat and a new route through it that doesn't rely on Swords has been added.

If you are not a Lumen at all, someone else fights the duel for you. You will need to pass a Composure check, because something unpleasant happens, but after that you will live and can go on to win the game.

There is a way to avoid the duel with the power of love and friendship. To pull that one off, however, you need the following: Foreign Intelligence (REALLY high), Instrument, Voice, Public Speaking, and Presence. If you manage it, everyone is awed by your, well, awesomeness.
Last edited by hanako on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rozelliee

#3 Post by Rozelliee » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:02 am

That sounds.... amazing! Now I think I'm going to have to go for all of those endings.

I think it should be noted that I love this forum a LOT because it was the thing that introduced me to Homestuck in the first place. Helps that I absolutely adore the games too. And John stomping around in a rage isn't too far from the actual image, just switch the gender and the god-tier hoodie and... well just imagine someone stomping around in a childish rage (and wishing they had a god-tier hoodie!)

Oki

#4 Post by Oki » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:31 pm

I have to say thank you Hanako. The speech of awesome is definitely a part of my personal favorite ending. 8Db

flwriter124

#5 Post by flwriter124 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:15 am

hanako wrote: Foreign Intelligence (REALLY high), Instrument, Voice, Public Speaking, and Presence. If you manage it, everyone is awed by your, well, awesomeness.
hmm... im trying to get the watch-my-awesomeness goal, and im sure i got all of those (though just barely) before king meanie shows up at the castle, but nothing happened. i saved at the options for battle and tried all of them but nothing happened but dead, dead, and more deadness.. i also triggered the civil war and talked my way out of it(with the talk about the son she has to marry im really looking forward to hearing more about him), would that interfere with it?

Oki

#6 Post by Oki » Sat May 19, 2012 12:14 pm

No, it's not about romance. You need Foreign Intelligence at like...90...
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

hanako
Site Admin

#7 Post by hanako » Sat May 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Well, which part of it isn't working?

You need to pass a VERY high Foreign Intelligence check in order to unlock the option to sing to him. From there it should be obvious what skills are or aren't making the cut.

flwriter124

#8 Post by flwriter124 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:57 pm

i have it at 100 and im wearing the history outfit...
is the checkpoint before the visit? if so that would be where im missing the mark....

hanako
Site Admin

#9 Post by hanako » Sat May 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Foreign Intelligence is an Intrigue skill. You may be mixing it up with Foreign Affairs, the History skill. :)

(Sorry about the similar names, I couldn't think of any clearer way of describing them.)

flwriter124

#10 Post by flwriter124 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:49 pm

ahh. that was the problem, even though i had to start all over it was worth being able to achieve that. i did feel bad for her and Thaddeus(i think thats how you spelled it, to be honest my cousin has that name and i cant even remember how he spells it x) (i tried to put why but once again i cant figure out why it wont just put it in white -_-) ill just have to marry him and beat the king another way and see how that affects them :)

Col Hathi

#11 Post by Col Hathi » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:16 am

You're telling me I gotta redo the whole thing because I didn't bother training the abilities I was told to unlock in the very beginning? TT_TT

composure wouldn't have been a problem...

Goddess Ilias

Re: Week 36 Encounter (Duel)

#12 Post by Goddess Ilias » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:26 pm

There is something that I found odd about my encounter with him... The option to attempt a marriage only showed up when I was betrothed with Thaddeus.

Not very important, but odd.

happyft

#13 Post by happyft » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:00 am

Very fun game, Hanako! Thoroughly enjoyed the dozen hours I've put in or so.

I have to say, winning thru the power of my voice was BADASS. Best ending by far.

But a very close second was defeating Banion, Kevan and the end boss with my magic and sword. Killed off Arisse too, who assassinated her own nephew. I really felt like I *earned* my ascent to power, having eliminated all of my enemies :D (well, almost all of them)

Hazel

#14 Post by Hazel » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:26 pm

Goddess Ilias wrote:There is something that I found odd about my encounter with him... The option to attempt a marriage only showed up when I was betrothed with Thaddeus.

Not very important, but odd.
It's not to do with Thaddeus. What probably happened is that your intrigue skill wasn't high enough, so Elodie did not know that he is already married.

Darksilverhawk

#15 Post by Darksilverhawk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:05 am

Still, if you're already betrothed (particularly to Thaddeus, but others as well, as Elodie is often not in a position to break those betrothals) I agree that it seems logical that the option shouldn't be available or at least have consequences for offering, though I don't think it's been ever brought up before.