Battle At Sea

Rule the world - or die trying!
Yuki

#1 Post by Yuki » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Oki wrote:Finally got the ending where I beat off the invasion with just Naval force, which was extremely satisfying.
Hold on, how did you manage to do that? My Naval Strategy skill is 100 (maxed out, without the use of the officer outfit) and I still lost.

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:14 pm

It's not just about the skill, it's also about how many forces you can field.

Yuki

#3 Post by Yuki » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 pm

Seems pretty odd to me: I'd bought the extra soldiers beforehand and I managed to talk my way out of the civil war before that, so I didn't lose any then. I didn't see the skill test bubble appear during the battle either, so I assumed defeat was inevitable. Is there an alliance I missed?

mod edit - snipping other issue to make topical thread - will adjust roman numerals in upcoming patch

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:12 pm

A full naval victory is intended to be extremely difficult, like hardest-thing-in-the-game difficult.

There are several different encounters where you can gain extra soldiers, but the most important one is managing to detect the fleet early enough that you can build extra ships. That requires having either hired agents to monitor foreign threats (in week 18 ) or having Logistics 70, Trade 70 by week25 (If you don't, you'll only see a falling star that week.)

There's no bubble during any of the military conflicts because the things being tested are so complicated that I can't really display the equation in a meaningful way. Have been meaning to add more feedback so that you have some idea of how close you're getting, though.

Or you can give up on the pure naval victory and go for sinking the fleet by getting three+ Lumens to work together.

mod edit - snipping other issue to make topical thread - will adjust roman numerals in upcoming patch
Last edited by hanako on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liz4187

#5 Post by liz4187 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Alas... I found out early enough but I got attacked by my nobles so even though my military skills were awesome and I had fore warning I still lost. That is how it works right? If I lose miltary in another battle than I can't win the naval battle??

Aletea

#6 Post by Aletea » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:03 am

Hm...

I built extra ships, and recruited soldiers when given the option just before the naval attack. I assume there's an earlier time when you can hire more soldiers - so does anyone know what has to be done in order to get those other options to recruit more people?

I think I remember once getting a chance to recruit prisoners on an earlier playthrough, but I can't remember how I got to that option.

Oki

#7 Post by Oki » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm honored to be quoted! Yeah Hanako made that one difficult.

There was once building the ships didn't even work. Here's what has worked for me. Maxing Naval, getting battlefield medicine and herbs early enough to get the medicinal hospital (dont know how much it has to do with it but come on..medicine XD), more soldiers when daddy asked, someone told me of the ships early so I could build them, hiring rogue criminals. I'm so kewl.
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

hanako
Site Admin

#8 Post by hanako » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:02 pm

If the civil war goes to battle you will probably lose too many soldiers to be able to beat the naval conflict in a fair fight. If civil war is declared but you manage to negotiate your way out of it you should get all your soldiers back safely.

Good ideas:

Max Naval Strategy. After that, max the other two military skills for good measure - they aren't as important but you will get bonuses if all three are high enough.

Having a high Wield Magic skill does give you a bonus to this even if you're just being an admiral and not doing the huge conjoined magic thing. Long-range magic is just as good as more cannons.

Be there in person to command the fleet or your bonuses only count for half.

Build the ships early.

If you know that war is likely then you can get the option to pardon criminals. This happens automatically if civil war is declared. It will also happen if you know war is likely (you built the ships) and you're not distracted by Briony trying to haul you off on an adventure. Don't bring her home with you when you need to focus on war.

When the tournament happens, offer employment as a prize and you'll scrape a couple more soldiers for your side (too small to matter probably but every little helps?)

Blow any remaining gold on hiring more soldiers at the last minute.

Bad ideas:

Any conflict you get into will whittle away soldiers from your forces. That includes Ixion at the beginning.

You may also lose soldiers from the army if you assign them to specific tasks. If you set aside a squad to be your personal bodyguards, or you sent a squad to patrol the border against Sedna, or you sent a squad to arrest the Duchess of Lillah, or you sent a squad to camp out in eastern Nova in case the nobles rebel again, then those soldiers are not on hand when you need them.

Rozelliee

#9 Post by Rozelliee » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:51 pm

When do you get the choice to build extra ships?

Ikaru

#10 Post by Ikaru » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:11 am

I once went to sea with Elodie, Julianna, Lucille, and the Priestess, and the four of us blasted the enemy to Hell-a-gone......but no Naval Victory. So...I need more Naval Skill? Or more soldiers?
I may be schizophrenic... but at least I have eachother.

I'm not random, you just can't think as fast as me.

Due to the current financial restraints the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Ramidel

#11 Post by Ramidel » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:47 am

"Sinking a fleet with magic" is not the same as "winning a naval victory." For a naval victory to count as a naval victory, you have to meet their fleet with steel. Having a high Wield Magic does help, but you can't use it for a tri-Lumen fleet-nuke. (I'll rephrase that: you can get off a failed nuclear blast and follow that up with a naval victory, but not a successful one.)