General hints/tips/strategy

Rule the world - or die trying!
hanako
Site Admin

General hints/tips/strategy

#1 Post by hanako » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Trying to work out useful information to give people new to the game. THis isn't for specific events and challenges, but general information that can help people succeed.

Take notes and plan ahead.

Nothing is random in this game. If you know that something is coming and prepare for it, you can always know if you will succeed or not. If you write down what you've done (or use the Log function to record it) then you can always get back to the same point again.

Unlock outfits and skill sets

In order to get to advanced levels you have to have studied everything in the skillset long enough to unlock the related outfit. So if you know you'll want a high level in the skill eventually, work to get all three basic levels now.

(Also, outfits do give you bonuses in skill tests! Is this sufficiently clear at the moment, or should it be explained more? They don't help you learn faster but they do help you pass tests. So if you need a few more points in some skill, change your clothes!)

Make use of your moods

Skills progress a LOT faster if you are in the right mood. Keep an eye on your mood and how to adjust it.

Unlock weekend events

Weekend events are the only reliable way to change your mood, and some of them have to be specially unlocked. Do that early and you will have better control over your mood!

IIRC, I tend to spend my first week studying Animal skills (because of the bonus from Depression), use my first weekend to get a point of Cheerful which changes my mood to Scared, and then study Reflexes twice to get access to Sports.

Anyone else got any good advice for how to get started?

junsei7

Re: General hints/tips/strategy

#2 Post by junsei7 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:05 pm

hanako wrote: (Also, outfits do give you bonuses in skill tests! Is this sufficiently clear at the moment, or should it be explained more? They don't help you learn faster but they do help you pass tests. So if you need a few more points in some skill, change your clothes!)
Thank you for clarifying this. I thought they helped you learn faster so this is really good to know! It may be me being too excited to play and not reading the instructions right though. :)

biscuit

#3 Post by biscuit » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:41 am

Just my personal thing that (finally) got me through to the end.

One of the things I realized was that I was too obsessed with maxing out as many skills as possible at the beginning; once I diversified (and learned to unlock more outfits), I was much more successful. Especially with some careful planning for events.

Anyone know what weekend events you can unlock, and how? I'm having difficulty with anything except Sports and Ballroom (sp? Or Dance Court? I forget the actual name).

yuuzai

#4 Post by yuuzai » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:43 am

My sister and I are having a really hard time. :oops:
We've made quite a few logs and quite a few saves, while the game a lot of fun, we feel like we're running into a brick wall. It seems no matter how balanced we think we are, we run into another person or thing trying to kill us.
Is there a certain balance required to unlock the outfits/weekend events?
I can hardly managed to unlock them sometimes.

hanako
Site Admin

#5 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Weekend events are generally unlocked by hitting particular skill values in class.

Reflexes 30 unlocks sports (because that's when the class studying description mentions learning to play sports).

Horses 50 unlocks hunting (at that point the studying description gives the impression that you know how to ride, so it's safe to put you on horseback and send you out there)

Dance 50 unlocks the ballroom (because at that point you know all the standard dances)

Visiting the treasury can be unlocked by a sufficiently high Accounting score (I think it's about 70?) but this is a special case, and it can also be unlocked through talking to people. If you're following a Lumen training path with either Julianna or Selene, keep talking to them and to your father and the Treasury option will appear once they tell you about it.

I think those are the only unlockables at the moment. (Attend Services comes and goes, because it's only available when you are in certain moods.) If you can think of other activities around a castle that you should be able to do to adjust specific moods (not skills) we'll be willing to listen.

Unlocking outfits requires that you hit 25 in all three subskills. So if you get Dance, Reflexes, and Flexibility all to 25, you'll receive a Tutu and you'll be able to continue advancing any of those skills all the way to 100.

And don't feel bad, the game was designed to be pretty mean! If you open up a thread for a specific thing trying to kill you then hints for how to deal with that thing can be focused there.

Rozelliee

Re: General hints/tips/strategy

#6 Post by Rozelliee » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:13 pm

hanako wrote:Unlock outfits and skill sets

In order to get to advanced levels you have to have studied everything in the skillset long enough to unlock the related outfit. So if you know you'll want a high level in the skill eventually, work to get all three basic levels now.

(Also, outfits do give you bonuses in skill tests! Is this sufficiently clear at the moment, or should it be explained more? They don't help you learn faster but they do help you pass tests. So if you need a few more points in some skill, change your clothes!)
Great advice!
I think that it would be very helpful if this was made more clear, because I also thought it was only useful in helping you learn faster.

I sort of hit a... brick wall in the game. That is, I've been playing obssesively for the last day and a half or so, but when I hit that one on one fight with the Prince who waged the war on Nova, and come to the unfortunate realization that I haven't actually focused on my magic before, or generally come across other hurdles in that specific battle, I tend to... ragequit. Civilly. I might make a thread about it later- it kind of frustrated me due to all the reloads I spent training for the battle.

hanako
Site Admin

#7 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Latest beta (5.40.4) changes the skill display in a way that I HOPE will make the effect of outfits more clear

FantasyFan

#8 Post by FantasyFan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:52 pm

I still have yet to beat the game - I've gotten the surrendering ending (which I assume will have an actual story when the game's actually finished), but when I try to keep the crown I either a, get killed by bandits, b, eat the poisoned chocolates, or c, die in the duel. There always seems to be some skill or other that I'm lacking in, but these hints will help, thanks.

Rozelliee

#9 Post by Rozelliee » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:15 pm

FantasyFan wrote:I still have yet to beat the game - I've gotten the surrendering ending (which I assume will have an actual story when the game's actually finished), but when I try to keep the crown I either a, get killed by bandits, b, eat the poisoned chocolates, or c, die in the duel. There always seems to be some skill or other that I'm lacking in, but these hints will help, thanks.
I had trouble with those three as well. :) I think to avoid the chocolate at least, in my opinion the easiest thing to do is get your skill in Dogs up to 50 exactly, which doesn't take too long and doesn't require you to gain 25 points in the other Animal Care skills.

I haven't found any way to plausibly get past the bandits yet, besides simple saying no to the invitation. Could be due to laziness, though.

Is there a way to beat the game and surrender the crown? Didn't know that. :?

hanako
Site Admin

#10 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 pm

No, if you don't reach the coronation the game is over. In almost all cases that just means you get a simple 'you lose' ending, although it's structured slightly differently if you're actually DEAD or just removed from power.

For hints on specific incidents like those mentioned I'd prefer if they were put into separate topics so that other people can actually FIND them, rather than being buried in a long rambling thread. :)

Rozelliee

#11 Post by Rozelliee » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Sorry about that. P: I plan to do that as soon as I get home and off of this infernal Android.

Margaret-K

#12 Post by Margaret-K » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:20 am

I still haven't been able to beat the game. More or less because in the begining of the game I have been obseesing over trying to save my cousin. The most trouble I have with this game is the way the mood is incorporated into this game and whenever I want to do one thing my mood suddenly changes. Help?!

hanako
Site Admin

#13 Post by hanako » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:31 am

(Save her how? She never dies in that early event, but she always leaves the castle. That can't be changed. It's possible to make her not be bitten, but she'll still leave. There's a reason for this...)

As for mood - keep track of what your mood bars currently are and what activities can change them. The whole purpose of weekend events is so that you can push your mood to where you want it to be. If you max out your Cheerful bar, then even if a plot event causes you to gain 1 point of depression, it probably won't be enough to change your mood, and you can easily get it maxed again by doing a Cheerful activity.

Yuki

#14 Post by Yuki » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Doing stuff in the castle and how it affects you.

Walk in the Gardens: Lonely +1 Cheerful +1
Play with Toys: Yielding +1 Lonely +1 Cheerful +1
Sports: Anger +1 (Sometimes Loneliness -1)
Ballroom: Pressured +1 (Sometimes Cheerful +1)
Explore the Castle: Afraid +1 Loneliness +1
Tomb: Depressed +1 Afraid +1
Sneak Out: Lonely +1 Willful +2
Attend Court: Yielding +2 Depressed +1 Pressured +1
Dungeon: If Willfulness is high (Willful +1 Angry +1) otherwise (Yielding +1 Afraid +1)
Hunting: If Anger is high (Cheerful +1 Angry -2) otherwise (Depressed +1 Afraid -2)
Attending Service: Varies significantly. It usually "stabilises" a particular emotional state by one point.

hanako
Site Admin

#15 Post by hanako » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Attending services will neutralise either the Anger/Fear bar or the Cheerful/Depressed bar by one point, whichever is more dominant. If you have 2 cheerful and 1 afraid, you will lose 1 cheerful. If you have 1 anger and 1 cheerful, you will lose the 1 anger. If both of those are at 0, Attend Services simply won't show up as an option.

Sports makes you less lonely if you are already lonely, but it doesn't make you pressured.

The ballroom always makes you feel pressured, but if you were feeling lonely it will make you more cheerful to be dancing with friends. If you were already feeling pressured then having to dance with people makes you depressed.