Alpha Bug Reports / Feedback

Rule the world - or die trying!
manfromba

#46 Post by manfromba » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Sweet Heavens, I am aware that every matter of love is trivial in this game before politics, but was wondering, given my interest in yuri and the relative increase in bisexual options in games (including OEVNs) of late.

Is there only one female with whom the PC can end in an implied relationship, or several?

hanako
Site Admin

#47 Post by hanako » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:53 pm

Sorry, I just keep saying that because I don't want people disappointed that they don't get dates and portraits and sweeping romances! :)

Only one woman that the PC can be clearly involved with at the moment. It may change. There are also two women who are involved with each other (and if you get the right ending results, they have a big lesbian wedding)
I have so much difficulty with the
... that's probably because that encounter is unwinnable. :) (Everyone keeps TELLING you that it's too dangerous! They weren't kidding!)

If you bring Briony back to the castle and then have enough Conversation skills to find out why she's so restless, you can get the 'good' resolution to the plot, which doesn't involve ever going to the forest at all.

We were thinking about possibly having an option where you can save Briony from the monster and escape, but hadn't decided whether or not to do it, since there would be hefty negative consequences from having abandoned your responsibilities to go adventuring even if you didn't die in the process. Would you prefer it that way? That also seems like a great way to open up the option of dating Briony. After all, saving a girl from a tentacle monster is romantic!

liz4187

#48 Post by liz4187 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:36 pm

Haha I already got the good ending to that situation I just figured that there would be a fighting resolution as well. I cannot for the life of me win the naval battle though. I have several skills maxed by that point but I just can't seem to win it.

hanako
Site Admin

#49 Post by hanako » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:54 pm

hint: Forewarned is forearmed!

biscuit

#50 Post by biscuit » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:34 pm

This game is so frustrating!...

The good kind of frustrating, admittedly, but I just did a couple playthroughs and kept dying... so I took some notes in Word (forewarned is forearmed, right?) to help tailor my skills to get different resolutions.

I love how intricate it is, and how so many decisions you make influence things down the line. It seems a bit much for a casual player though, so even though the difficulty/intricacy is part of the charm (for me), it might not be something I'd recommend for everyone, compared to (just a couple examples) Cute Knight Kingdom or Summer in Fairbrook, which are a bit gentler for novices.

Anyways, just my 2 cents based on a very quick first impression.

I forget if anyone mentioned it before in this thread, but having a little gallery of completed scenes/outcomes would be a nice addition to the completed game, sort of like how in CKK you could look at your collected images and review your character's end-game summary.

Edit: Whoops! Just noticed some people mentioned the log function! That scratches that!

manfromba

#51 Post by manfromba » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:35 pm

By all means it would be interesting to date Briony after rescuing her from a monster, even if there are major consequences. Who has not heard stories of rulers abandoning responsibility for battles or love. Of course, if this is too much work, ignore me, but I think that thou art raising a good point, Hanako: It could work but with-game changing repercussions. These remarks intrigue me, and would add another complexity to the game.

Edit: Ah, too much Redwall in my younger days taught me a different spelling of her name.

hanako
Site Admin

#52 Post by hanako » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:42 pm

Considering the potential for confusion with Brin, who is a totally different character, I probably should have spelled it Bryony! Hopefully when we get the art in it'll be a little easier to tell the huge list of minor NPCs apart.

At least I try to give enough context whenever they come up in-game that you can make necessary decisions even if you can't always remember who is related to whom and how and what they're in charge of. _I've_ got pages covered with names and family trees and arrows pointing every which way. :)

FantasyFan

#53 Post by FantasyFan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:47 pm

All right, I've been trying OVER AND OVER AND OVER and I KEEP DYING.

(huffs and puffs)

Sorry, but I'm getting really frustrated here. I think I'd like the opportunity to take more than just two classes a week. Three a week could help a lot.

Also, I'd like it if stuff actually happened during some of the weekend activities. Like, you could discover something if you snuck out or explored the castle, or talk to prisoners if you visit the dungeon. It might also be nice if weekend activities raised some skills instead of just changing your mood.

hanako
Site Admin

#54 Post by hanako » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Would you like me to split a separate forum for the game at this point so that you can more easily talk about how to get past specific obstacles? (EDIT: So I did. This thread was getting long anyway. :) )
talk to prisoners if you visit the dungeon
There is at least one you can talk to under some circumstances. :)

In general, given how insanely complicated the game already is, I think it's a bad idea to give out completely random and unpredictable events and skill gains in weekend events where you'd have no way to know they were there. (And it would have to be random, since there are far too many skills to distribute them evenly amongst those activities.)

At least with skill checks, if you have feedback on, you can see exactly what's happening when and make notes about it so you know what you need to have in order to get past it next time.

Changing the number of classes in a week would totally unbalance the entire game, as well as making a huge mess of the class-choosing interface.

hanako
Site Admin

#55 Post by hanako » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 am

Okay, the new Briony subplot has been added as of 0.5.39 (currently flagged beta) So you can now save her from the tentacled thing, get her back to the castle, and have her as a romance option at the end.

I have tested it to be sure that it is possible to get through all that and still survive to the end of the game, but this is not an easy task. (I saved the log to prove the steps, although I did have to change clothes a few times and that's not recorded. There may be other ways to do it, this was just the first one I came up with.)

biscuit

#56 Post by biscuit » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:33 am

Typo I noticed, and wasn't sure where to post it. (Misposted it earlier!)

In my ending (repelled the invasion through the power of music, avoided civil war, and more thing I can give the complete log for if it helps)
I noticed this:

"She calls upon the gods to deliver peace, wisdom, and propserity to you, and through you, to all of Nova. And then she calls upon you, for your oath of rulership."PROPserity?

manfromba

#57 Post by manfromba » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks for the Briony Romance option! More challenges to deal with, but since when were love and war easy?

hanako
Site Admin

#58 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:47 pm

(mysterious orphan comment due to thread reorganisation)

(Proving the point, I misread that roman numeral post as IIII, which was sometimes used, rather than IIIII, which is a mistake! working on it.)

Spiky Caterpillar

#59 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:24 am

Note to self:

Code: Select all

while i>10:
    ret += 'X'
    i -= 10
does not QUITE do what I'd intended to do.

The Roman numeral bug is fixed in the newest beta.[/code]

FantasyFan

#60 Post by FantasyFan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:06 pm

(pants) All right, I FINALLY lived to see the coronation!

So finally, my two cents.

The game is certainly addictive and the artwork so far is gorgeous. It also gets really frustrating, especially when you keep seeing that you're lacking in a skill you didn't know you needed.

I like the ability to unlock outfits - I think one of my problems trying to beat the game was trying to fill up one skill and ignore others.

It's probably a bit more difficult than I normally like - it got annoying to just be concentrating on NOT DYING instead of building up the skills I wanted. With most life SIM games, I enjoy being able to build up what skills I want to develop my character the way I want, but in this one I was frantically trying to build up the right skills in order to avoid being killed. But fortunately, the premise is interesting enough to keep me playing even after so many failed attempts. It certainly makes you realize that being a princess is far more of a headache than fairytales make it out to be.

And there's a possible lesbian relationship? COOOL, I'll have to check that out (assuming I can live through the game a second time).