What is up with Banion?

Rule the world - or die trying!
Team Corvid

What is up with Banion?

#1 Post by Team Corvid » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:16 am

Banion is a snake, but a complex snake and I'd love to decode him.

I'm a little stumped at his ending with an infertile Elodie, though. His behavior is both in line with how we see him IG and not - distant, when in most endings he went out of his way to play the adoring groom? Defering to Elodie for EVERYTHING in public, why keep up a facade that far?

Banion being the plotter he is, I'm guessing he likely sniffed out the fact that Elodie can't have kids during the few years' delay. Is he distant because he wants kids even more than he wants power and is disappointed efforts won't bear fruit there? Is he being deferential because he genuinely feels sorry for an orphaned Elodie? Considering his reactions to Bennett and a Brin-murdering Elodie he clearly cares about family, could he actually be showing some empathy here? I really want to figure this guy out!

MillaMaxwell

Re: What is up with Banion?

#2 Post by MillaMaxwell » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:37 pm

I always thought he wanted power not just in the "rule the kingdom" sort of way, but in the "sire a dynasty and leave a strong legacy" way too. But if Elodie cannot produce an heir, his (legitimate at least) family line ends there and he goes down in history as just the forgotten husband of Queen Elodie. Probably not the ending he was hoping for after scheming his way into marrying the queen...