Favorite Early-Game Strategies?

Rule the world - or die trying!
Lazarae

Favorite Early-Game Strategies?

#1 Postby Lazarae » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:03 am

I've played through several times, and with the exception of when I'm trying to fulfill a full-story challenge (doing all the investments, maxing cruelty, stuff like that) I always struggle with the early game. My first playthrough I admit to cheating shamelessly to stop my constant restarting because I wasn't sure what to focus on.

If you're playing without goals, or with goals that are focused on late-game, how do you usually start? What skills do you focus on? Is there a mood/weekend activity you try to stick to? Do you try to level everything a little, or one thing a lot? Which mentor do you go with?

Mostly this is curiosity and inspiration for future playthroughs rather than asking for advice. I tend to fall into certain patterns (Elodie almost always ends with high intrigue unless I'm trying to get an ending where she can't. I also tend to ignore her weapon skills in favor of general military) and forget there are other options, so I just want to see how other people play.

Jayrassic Park

Re: Favorite Early-Game Strategies?

#2 Postby Jayrassic Park » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:45 am

Personally, I try leveling little by little if I don't have a goal, with a bit of a focus on surviving the bandit attack and the chocolates. I usually have Julianna around, since I don't like killing anyone (even if she is a bit of a dick).

I usually let Divination and Ciphering languish and build up economics and medicine to pass the Printing Press and Hospital tests, too.

ppd

#3 Postby ppd » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:43 am

I usually start training in Expression and Animal Handling right away, because there is a bonus to them from being Depressed. Expression for the fight with the endgame boss, Animal Handling to survive the chocolates. After that point, I try to shift my mood to Yielding so I can study some Royal Demeanor and Conversation.

zonohedron

#4 Postby zonohedron » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:44 am

Lazarae wrote:If you're playing without goals, or with goals that are focused on late-game, how do you usually start? What skills do you focus on? Is there a mood/weekend activity you try to stick to? Do you try to level everything a little, or one thing a lot? Which mentor do you go with?

Mostly this is curiosity and inspiration for future playthroughs rather than asking for advice. I tend to fall into certain patterns (Elodie almost always ends with high intrigue unless I'm trying to get an ending where she can't. I also tend to ignore her weapon skills in favor of general military) and forget there are other options, so I just want to see how other people play.

If I don't have any conflicting goals, my first three weeks are generally the same:
Accounting and Foreign Intelligence, then go to the garden
Accounting and Court Manners, imprison Julianna, then visit Charlotte
Production and Trade, then release Julianna
because I always want to be healed by Charlotte, know both where Sedna is and what the necklace is, and be able to pay off the Ixionites. I'll need to keep raising Accounting and Trade so I can pay them off, but that's fine because that'll set me up for investing in the printing press, getting into the treasury, and having the choice not to eat free chocolates; I just don't always do the exact same thing after week 3.

I do like Selene better as a mentor in general, but unless I know how I'm going to be defeating the Shanjians when the time comes, I don't want to lock off any possibilities.

Fairyjade

#5 Postby Fairyjade » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:06 am

I usually work to not get killed by cholates and get my military and get my lumen skills up quickly. I prepare battle!

Magnificate

#6 Postby Magnificate » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:08 pm

I still got the five archetypal playthroughs saved, so let's look into the logs:

Fleet Playthrough Opening:
Week 1
(Studied Accounting in the morning.)
(Studied Trade in the afternoon.)
Week 2
Week 3

Duel Playthrough Opening:
Week 1
(Studied Decoration in the morning.)
(Studied Decoration in the afternoon.)
Week 2
(Studied Instrument in the morning.)
(Studied Voice in the afternoon.)
Week 3
(Studied Presence in the morning.)
(Studied Presence in the afternoon.)

Music Playthrough Opening:
Week 1
(Studied Dogs in the morning.)
(Studied Falcons in the afternoon.)
Week 2
(Studied Dogs in the morning.)
(Studied Falcons in the afternoon.)
Week 3
(Studied Horses in the morning.)
(Studied Horses in the afternoon.)

Mirror Playthrough Opening:
Week 1
(Studied Internal Affairs in the morning.)
(Studied Ciphering in the afternoon.)
Week 2
(Studied Reflexes in the morning.)
(Studied Reflexes in the afternoon.)
Week 3
(Studied Flexibility in the morning.)
(Studied Flexibility in the afternoon.)

Kraken Playthrough Opening:
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
(Studied Instrument in the morning.)
(Studied Voice in the afternoon.)

Huh. These are much more diverse than I've remembered them. ;) No clear pattern aside from almost always sticking to the mood bonuses.

Neko Hibiki

#7 Postby Neko Hibiki » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:27 pm

First day : Use cheats and max everything, except cruelty(I'm usually nice) and Lumen because I haven't got the Crystal yet. Give myself all the outfits. Give myself lots of money too then.
---

Signature

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig!!

- Nightgazer Starlight, Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!

hanako
Site Admin

#8 Postby hanako » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:33 pm

Cheating is not a strategy. :mrgreen:

Senex

#9 Postby Senex » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:28 pm

Study whatever gets a bonus from that week's mood and hope that it all works out in the end.

Mir

#10 Postby Mir » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:15 pm

It usually depends on what plot-related goals I have in mind. Though on the playthrough where I wanted everything to go as right as it could in the kingdom, I spent the first few weeks studying economics, but week three was a double dose of composure (I know Charlotte survives, but I always feel so bad letting her get bit and having Julianna unlocks magic sooner). I used to study royal demeanor to get into the treasury, but someone pointed out the rather extreme mood switch from yielding to willful to get the right bonuses for Lumen, so high economics it is! Plus, it allows me to get the printing press, and it always drives me crazy to miss it. Oh, and pay Ixion at a more reasonable rate and raise taxes to help cover the difference without making people angry.

I like to take the necklace on week five, because Talarist's visit pushes back the hospital lady two weeks, giving me more time to get herbs and medicines up (I usually end up picking him at the end, so it's not too dishonest...right?). I have no trouble letting him down gently because I try to get my court manners up enough to deal with Kevan next week (a bit difficult with needing Internal Affairs 30, but I've done it!). Then it's try to get Sense Magic up to 80 in time for the ball so I can get a minister, which allows me to get to Gwenelle's party with no trouble, so I can focus on lore.

KitCat

#11 Postby KitCat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:26 pm

hanako wrote:Cheating is not a strategy. :mrgreen:

Yeah... Why it was in anyway?
EDit:
Anyway, Favorite Early-Game Strategies at get not even one failed at even demo?
I mean them should go on, not failed :( as i anyway failed Trade+Production think :(.
Edit2:
How i put enough Account without debug? ( If that helps?)
Reflexes are should at it "first step" So it wery early?
Anyway... in my opinion: next game, "cheat" or "debug" should cost ( i mean not Demo/shareware version... )

chlobo

#12 Postby chlobo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:31 am

I tend to focus on trade + production first.

Pokota

#13 Postby Pokota » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:17 pm

I usually go for Lumen Crystal Early, regardless of whether or not I actually raise it in time for anything that asks for it, since that puts you in a nobility-neutral position with Ixion AND prepares you for the printing press event (and lets you raise taxes with precision when that question comes up).

Of course, the biggest drawback to Lumen Crystal Early is that you're treading a thin line between peace and civil war, and I still haven't learned well what actions to take to avoid it - I have to deal with a civil war about 25% of the time nowadays, so lately I've been doing Economics > War > Agility and Lumen. I want to wedge Medicine into it somewhen before week 15, but I usually can't get the emotions to line up properly.
Earl of Thing. Yep, that's definitely Kevan's title.

KitCat

#14 Postby KitCat » Mon May 22, 2017 4:40 pm

How early you are died? In demo my self...
or...

Exkalipoor

#15 Postby Exkalipoor » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:17 am

30 Reflexes - unlocks Sports for angryness and decreasing afraidness, avoids the snake (if Julianne is missing), avoids Alice, the assassin won't kill Elody instantly. Later on it can be increased to 100 Reflex, as it let's you go to the birthday, beat Togami (with Lumen) and you can dodge the evil Lumen and Kevan (Running works too). You only need one week if you are afraid, which you usually are in the early game.

10 Court Manners - Elodie can avoid to accept Thalasses present. Or she scares of Ixion (but she should marry Thalasse then).

50 Dogs - Since you start depressed, you only need to waste two weeks for that. It let's you survive the chocolates (all other checks require way more Points, though they are more useful overall).

40 Intrigue - The Agent-Checkpoint in week 18 is necessary for some events and it let you prevent the civil war or lets you to the birthday or helps in the naval battle or gives you the Magic Mirror to kill Togami later on or prevents the riot of the common folk. Just spend two weeks on it.

20 Foreign Affairs - History is almost useless but this one gives you an interesting choice to deal with Ixion, as it unlocks many events. Easy to get, unless you are Willfull.

60 Lore - This saves Briony (if you can make it to the Birthday) and you can avoid the civil war and/or Kevan that way.

50 Accounting, 30 Trade, 30 Production - You can get the Lumen Crystal in 5 weeks that way. It also allows you to get the print press and you can pay off Ixion. In combination with Military, you can buy more soldiers and build new battle ships. You survive the chocolates as well.

80 Sense Magic - You can recruit Lucille (unless you execute someone at the ball) so you can go to the birthday and won't get chocolates. You also can spot the evil Lumen, can recruit Serene and you need max Lumen later on anyway if you are dealing with Togami, be it through the Lumen Concert, the Duel or the Earthquake.

Return to “Long Live The Queen”