Bug reporting help

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
Spazzbunny

#76 Post by Spazzbunny » Fri May 13, 2011 1:55 am

With the recent update, Minnie came and spoke to me about fundraising on my Damien path even though I'm not the treasurer on that one. ^^;

EDIT: The same thing also happened on Donald's path.

perch

#77 Post by perch » Mon May 16, 2011 3:40 am

I'm currently playing 0.3.85.5 I got this:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

NameError: name 'bg_black' is not defined

Compiling ATL code at /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/week26.rpy:3164

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 382, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 170, in run
NameError: name 'bg_black' is not defined

Compiling ATL code at /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/week26.rpy:3164

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.2b

My Sue is on Grabiner's married path and failed the sixth dungeon with -45 merits so this is on Friday, March 14th. My Sue also failed the fifth dungeon with -45 merits and Grabiner couldn't flunk her out so this time he was talking about the 'third option' and then game error.

Yilaina

#78 Post by Yilaina » Fri May 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Version 0.3.85.5 (BETA)
Windows 7

Typing c while using the spell Inscription in dungeon 6 (and others, I assume) causes the spellbook to open, banishing the text input screen without re-enabling your controls. Your only option after this is to reload using right-click or the button at the top.

There is a strangely random fullscreen/alt-tab bug which messes with the games controls and can be fixed by tabbing out and back in again (although this sometimes crashes the game) When in this altered state the game allows you to type c in an Inscription without opening the spellbook, but the backspace key is disabled(it works fine normally). It messes with several other controls which I haven't documented. Thankfully it's a rare bug but I encountered it while flipping between the game and forums to make this report. The opengl.txt of the resulting graphics crash can be found here.

shinfate

#79 Post by shinfate » Fri May 20, 2011 5:15 pm

(Version 0.3.83.2, Debian/sid, amd64)

Some continuity considerations:
  • The classroom background image seems to have an electric PA system. That kind of thing would be out of place there.
  • Ellen doesn't seem like a typical `Horse' until later in the storyline (e.g., considering her solution to dungeon #3 or her reaction to `This is unfair'). I found it odd that none of the NPCs commented on that. Then again, it's left open what kind of sorting hat technique the academy uses.
  • There appear to be twins `Luke' and `Logan' in the game, but I have seen very little of them in the paths that I have taken. The first I heard about the twin issue was during the optional first Bingo event, in which my character seemed to be fully aware of them.
  • Before the first dungeon exam, the game mentions that `this is a solo exam'. There have not yet been any non-solo exams, so it may be worth changing that to `during the first year, all/most of your exams are solo exams'.
Since this is my first post, please also allow me to point out that I greatly enjoy what you've done with this game on the whole-- interesting and memorable characters, lots of choices that actually make sense (i.e., there are few if any `wrong' choices), great writing, and interesting variations . I'm also impressed by the dungeon work: allowing different learning styles while still making sure that players can solve the dungeons in nonisomorphic ways is quite a game design challenge, and I like the solutions you have found to the problem of finding good problems. ;-)

hanako
Site Admin

#80 Post by hanako » Fri May 20, 2011 7:02 pm

As it's a small school, I assume that by the end of the Initiation period your PC is aware of every member of the freshman class by name and face, even if she doesn't know them very well. So you'll occasionally catch passing references to students that you as the player haven't seen, or never will see (there are more students than show up on camera). Luke and Logan were called out by name in the initiation assembly - anyone there would have noticed that they were twins. :) They're very minor characters in this game, though, no matter what path you take. They'll get more story in later games.

I'll have a look at the classroom picture and see if it can be tweaked.
My Sue is on Grabiner's married path and failed the sixth dungeon with -45 merits so this is on Friday, March 14th.
That should be patched now, I think, as should the incidents with Minnie popping up even if you're not treasurer.

perch

#81 Post by perch » Sat May 21, 2011 3:28 pm

My Sue is on Grabiner's married path and failed the sixth dungeon with -45 merits so this is on Friday, March 14th.

That should be patched now, I think, as should the incidents with Minnie popping up even if you're not treasurer.
I got the ending, but what I see is the background of Grabiner and then a small black box shows up in the lower left hand side of the in game screen and then some text appears on top of both of them in the middle.

Spiky Caterpillar

#82 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sat May 21, 2011 4:59 pm

The divorce scene should work properly in the newest alpha (0.3.87.1, which also adds the Wrong Way spell and removes some invisible buttons from the updater screen.)

perch

#83 Post by perch » Sat May 21, 2011 5:39 pm

Shiny, thanks Spiky. I look forward to the fixes and everything else when it has all been finalized. *excited for the ending*

frederic09

#84 Post by frederic09 » Wed May 25, 2011 4:10 pm

got a bug with the 0.9 alpha version, i was being on grabiner's path, and choose to go to dance.

Mary was seeing the other ppl dance, and at the end there are the line "XXX not written beyond this point" and then it continues to the conclusion.

After the TODO Yearbook, the final dance scene begin again and again, in an infinite loop.
Silence is more of the Unknown than the world could tell.

WickedDeadly

Audio

#85 Post by WickedDeadly » Thu May 26, 2011 7:11 pm

I turned off all the audio at one point in my game, but i tried to put the volume in the game back up, but I don't hear anything. My audio on my computer works fine, but the game volume isn't working, any ideas on how to fix this?

Riviera

#86 Post by Riviera » Fri May 27, 2011 4:47 am

I don't think this is technically a bug, but...

In the endings my girl's fairy wings cover up her date's face in the picture. It was kind of a shame. :)

perch

#87 Post by perch » Sat May 28, 2011 1:09 pm

I have two minor errors. On Virginia's path when she's talking to you before the ball there's a spelling error for the word going.

Also if you use the Rose and Wasp to orchestrate revenge against Damien in the year book Potsdam's message will say FirstName instead of your Sue's actual name.

Riviera

#88 Post by Riviera » Sat May 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Future Career: Swordswmith (should probably be swordsmith?)

perch

#89 Post by perch » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:52 pm

I've caught an exception in 0.9.14.5

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

Exception: ui.interact called with non-empty widget/layer stack. Did you forget a ui.close() somewhere?

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 382, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 170, in run
Exception: ui.interact called with non-empty widget/layer stack. Did you forget a ui.close() somewhere?

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.2b

It occurs after I got the Summer School badge. Basically when I get to the part right before getting the yearbook page the game crashes.

junsei7

#90 Post by junsei7 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:32 am

I'm playing 0.9.17.5 on Donald's path. I got blown up by the chest in the Feb 7 exam. I opened the Options tab pretty much immediately after (so during the screen wipes which should have taken me to Grabiner). Once I closed the Options tab I was taken directly to William talking about Virginia (so skipping the telling off usually following failing an exam) and the dungeon menu buttons and map were still there instead of the normal ones.