Magical Diary Alpha/Preorder

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
hanako
Site Admin

#346 Post by hanako » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:45 pm

That's partly because I don't know how to define an ending in order to count them. :)

For example, on Ellen's path it is possible to convince her to come home with you for the summer. But that doesn't lead to a Game Over screen or anything, even though it clearly changes the future for the two of you. You'll get a different yearbook signature - does that make it a different ending?

If you read the yearbook signatures carefully (And I should test it to be sure this one comes up right) in a certain set of circumstances you'll get a special note that suggests you and Pastel might get together over the summer. But it's subtle and easily missed. Is that an ending?

perch

#347 Post by perch » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:47 pm

I can only speak for me. Usually if you've got a special text I count those, like when my Sue gets expelled. As for yearbook endings I do count all the romantic ones that we get, such as completing someone's romance path as a special and unique ending because my Sue did it, she got with her partner of choice and had a special ending.

The two ones you described I would consider an ending, the same as the yearbook entries I receive if I use the Rose and Wasp for revenge against Damien or what happens post Summer School trophy (which can also be the Pastel ending if I have found the text you've mentioned, which I think I did) because even though I don't get a fancy text telling me 'oh by the way you do this and X happens' I can't imagine my Sue not having an eventful summer.

So I kind of see them as three separate things. There are the 'true' endings which are the good or neutral romance paths or being alone. There are the text endings which tell you what happens to your Sue post game and then there are the Yearbook endings which hint at what happens, but you as the player get to fill in the blanks for yourself. Those yearbook endings don't have to be exclusively on their own however. They can be blended into regular endings or occur before a text ending so I guess they're more just side filler.

So I guess they could also fit into those 'brief flings' or 'last-minute-hook-ups' too. Like Pastel, is completely a Yearbook last minute hook up. It's implied/stated in text that Sue and she will hook up, but it could have just as easily translated in the game as 'Man I don't have anyone to go to the dance with, oh Pastel made out with me let me go ask her' and depending on what happened/skills she rejects or accepts your Sue. Or Big Steve is a weird, torrid relationship between your Sue and a stuffed rabbit could end at Easter, or it could have carried out into a scene where your Sue asked Mr. Hoppity and friend out to the dance if the appropriate amount of scenes/combo of skills were achieved. For me not having hook up scenes doesn't change the idea that I had a weird, if brief, relationship with Steve because my Sue was nice to him or that my Sue can fall into Pastel's finely painted clutches if X and Y events happen just so.

Spazzbunny

#348 Post by Spazzbunny » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:29 am

xD Well, I have gotten the other two endings with him already. I just felt it strange because, usually, in games like this, if there is a consistent and distinct way of dealing with someone, it'll change the ending or at least the scenes involved. I didn't notice much of either with Damien. I'll go through it again though just to make sure I didn't miss something by accident. I wasn't necessarily speaking of a distinctly seperate ending so much as something that shows that the game acknowledges that you're treating a character in a different manner.

It does sound as though counting the endings would be difficult. For me, I suppose there are the set endings that have distinctly different dialogue, and then there are variations you can get with the endings. Well...good luck if you try doing that, Hanako! ^^

hanako
Site Admin

#349 Post by hanako » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:05 am

I just felt it strange because, usually, in games like this, if there is a consistent and distinct way of dealing with someone, it'll change the ending or at least the scenes involved. I didn't notice much of either with Damien. I'll go through it again though just to make sure I didn't miss something by accident. I wasn't necessarily speaking of a distinctly seperate ending so much as something that shows that the game acknowledges that you're treating a character in a different manner.
I understand why you'd think that, but the reason I'm not handling it that way has to do with Damien himself and the way that he's different from a normal love interest.

Spazzbunny

#350 Post by Spazzbunny » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Well, that makes sense, Hanako. ^^ A quick question out of curiosity then: were those two different ways of doing things done on purpose? As a way of foreshadowing, or...?

hanako
Site Admin

#351 Post by hanako » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:04 pm

I wouldn't say foreshadowing exactly, as it's not intended to be noticed until a later playthrough. Retroshadowing? Once you've seen how Damien's path turns out, then go back and see what effect your choices do and don't have on him, you can then interpret those reactions differently...