Magical Diary Alpha/Preorder

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
hanako
Site Admin

#31 Post by hanako » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:07 pm

... Really? Argh. How annoying.

I've heard of the show but never seen it, and my Suki was named and in development long before it aired, but I don't want to create that confusion if a lot of people are familiar with the other character... I don't know. I like the name! She's a very minor character at the moment, but if we ever get around to the game set in her Hall, of course, she's much more prominent.

Aletea

#32 Post by Aletea » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:59 pm

I'm enjoying it so far, but I have a small suggestion. The sound and brief animation next to the skill that gains points is useful, but I find that I miss what exactly was leveled up sometimes. In classes it tells you what went up, but not when it's other events. Perhaps the little symbol that appears next to the leveled up skill could last a little bit longer before going away? Usually by the time I've glanced over at the skills, it's gone, so unless I know exactly what the skill level was before it gained points, I don't know what went up.

Of course, I could be missing it if there is something that stays longer to let you know.

Muse

#33 Post by Muse » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:34 am

Just found a little thing I wanted to make sure was intentional: Sorry for not using the tracker thing but I am unsure if this is a bug or not.

When selecting the eye color on the creating screen, if you go forward the numbers go 0-35. But if you go to 0 then go backwards, it puts all the numbers at X.9. This resets back to .0 if you g to zero and forward, but I figured I would put this in.
This is if you just use the arrows to select colors (back being the left arrow, forward being the right).

(I'm testing the Mac version, if that helps/is needed!)

Also, how exactly do we report errors that aren't game-crashing ones? For example, I believe I found an error where the art doesn't line up, but I have no idea how to send it to you.

Well, allow me to rephrase. You know how most of the art clips at the elbows etc for the character artwork beside the dialogue box? It normally doesn't clip the head, but I found a spot where it did on a character, so I thought it looked odd, and wanted to know if it was an alignment issue.

I also found a line of dialogue I felt was a bit awkward: it sort of makes it sound like one of the boys was a girl. (Or at least I am pretty sure Kyo is a guy?)

I hope reporting errors like this are fine too, and thank you for the help!

Spiky Caterpillar

#34 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:30 pm

We're interested in non-crashing bugs too. If you don't have your own webspace, you can upload screenshots and save games using http://spikycaterpillar.dreamhosters.co ... pload.html (and other files - it doesn't actually do any content checks on the uploaded files yet) - and then post or email me, as the script doesn't notify me automatically when things are uploaded. Dialog weirdnesses can just be posted here (preferably in white text if they're after the first week or so).

Kyo's a guy, unless there's something Hanako hasn't told me. :)

And clipping/alignment problems are definitely bugs that I want to know about (as Hanako and I usually play in 4:3 windows, it's easy for us to wind up missing clipping problems that only show up in widescreen modes.)

The eye colour behaviour is semi-intentional - it's actually a range from 0 to 359 internally, wrapped at the ends, as pressing the buttons 400 times would be annoying.

Muse

#35 Post by Muse » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Thank you very much! I do not have my own Webspace so that is incredibly helpful. I posted the save for the first and third one, since those are the only ones I think the saves might be needed for. I have the second one if you need it.

First one should be the one with the clipping for Manuel.
Description: Here is the .save for when Manuel was clipping on the edge of his dialogue box. Most of the characters clip a little in windowed mode, but I thought his looked rather obvious due to his hair and ear clipping.

Second error I found is just some dialogue that might need to be fixed, so I will post the dialogue clip here:
"Virginia's got the ball and is dribbling it across the floor towards Ellen and the goal. Kyo cuts in to try to steal, but she sidesteps. A twist, a lunge, a swift kick, and the ball flies through the air-"
Since the second sentence begins talking about Kyo, it sounds to me like Kyo is the one who sidesteps, but it is Virginia.

Finally, there is a few suggestions I have over the second test, with the gap in the hall.

1) It’s confusing to know which way is north etc without a compass, since up on the map does not always equal north.

2) I don’t know if this can be fixed per say, or was intentional, but casting light just makes the room look washed out.

3) If you push the bridge south from where it starts, it seems to me that you should be able to see it (the bridge) when you turn around from facing north. But you don’t until you move into the next screen. I don’t know if the corner is blocking it or what, though.

4) Casting your moving spell causes the dialogue to be “You push Bridge” when I think if you could change it to “you put the bridge” it would look better.

This isn't an error, but just a thought on the game. The dialogue is really well done! I actually forgot about all the crazy fanfiction.net inspired ideas, and then realized it when I went "wait is this guy going to be totally cliche?" XD But I will admit I got a little misty eyed at a part of it regardless! Loving it so far, excellent work Hanako & Spiky!

hanako
Site Admin

#36 Post by hanako » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Exam 3 is now sort of in, although it's brand-new and thus more likely to have cracks in it.

Muse

#37 Post by Muse » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Also, I just ran the updater, and now I have 2 of the same intro loops of music running at the same time after it restarted. Is the updater something you plan to release or is this just a bug that can be ignored since it's a temporary feature?

Thanks!

Edit: Strike that, after the first loop finished, (the one from the preupdated game, I guess) it ended. This only happened when I upgrades to .37, it didn't happen when I upgraded to the BETA one.

Found another clipping bug, save/2 pictures are uploaded. There seems to be an issue with the mac game in windowed mode. For example, with the save I just uploaded to Spiky's uploader, Potsdam's left side (our right) clips off of the screen. However, if I go into full screen mode, then back to windowed mode, the windowed mode is back to full screen ratio, instead of the smaller one, so there is no clipping.

For the record, I went back and checked the save with the clipping Manuel, and it still appears to be clipping even after going into fullscreen (and then back).

I also have a suggestion for the tests, if it's possible. I think it would make navigation much easier if you could use the arrow keys (Up for Forward, left and right for turning). Just a minor control suggestion.

Spiky Caterpillar

#38 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:51 pm

Muse wrote:Also, I just ran the updater, and now I have 2 of the same intro loops of music running at the same time after it restarted. Is the updater something you plan to release or is this just a bug that can be ignored since it's a temporary feature?
The updater's slated for release, yes.
Found another clipping bug, save/2 pictures are uploaded. There seems to be an issue with the mac game in windowed mode. For example, with the save I just uploaded to Spiky's uploader, Potsdam's left side (our right) clips off of the screen. However, if I go into full screen mode, then back to windowed mode, the windowed mode is back to full screen ratio, instead of the smaller one, so there is no clipping.

For the record, I went back and checked the save with the clipping Manuel, and it still appears to be clipping even after going into fullscreen (and then back).
Ah, okay. If a character's talker sprite sticking off the edge of the window but looks OK in widescreen, that's intentional (as I need to have them over a bit to have enough room for the text) ; if they're still cut off in widescreen mode like Manuel is, then it's a bug I need to fix.
I also have a suggestion for the tests, if it's possible. I think it would make navigation much easier if you could use the arrow keys (Up for Forward, left and right for turning). Just a minor control suggestion.
Shift-up/left/right should let you move around the dungeon in the current version. (One of my Super Secret Undocumented Features :) - the next version will actually mention it when you enter the dungeon. Shift's required because I need to keep the rest of the UI accessible from the keyboard as well.)

Muse

#39 Post by Muse » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:10 am

Ah ok, thank you! However, I just want to clarify, that it appears the game has two windowed modes, one in the standard-screen-ratio that I get when I launch the game and one in a wide-screen-ratio I can only get to if I go to full screen then windowed mode after launch. Well, that was what I was trying to make you aware of in the pictures of Potsdam, anyway. I wasn't sure if this is intentional or not.

Thank you for the Shift+Arrow keys information!

hanako
Site Admin

#40 Post by hanako » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:19 am

You can manually resize the window (grab and drag the corner - at least, on Windows, I assume you can do it on Mac too) to set it to whatever aspect you want, and certain GUI elements will shuffle around to try and accomodate that. This is our first attempt at doing widescreen support, see. :) So there are a LOT of possible window sizes.

When the game launches, it tends to launch in the 'default' resolution (1024x768) unless it's told to do otherwise. But if you fullscreen it, it will change to what makes most sense for your monitor. And then if you go back to windowed from there, it will tend to keep a setting like it had while fullscreened, only not fullscreened anymore.

In the advanced options, there's a button to snap it back to 1024x768 if you've stretched it to something you don't like.

Also - Current build sometimes crashes when entering exam3. There's a patch coming for that, but in the meantime, save on Monday Dec 2 before choosing your schedule. If it crashes, choose a different schedule. This seems to jiggle the random number generator and allow you to get a non-crash result.
Last edited by hanako on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muse

#41 Post by Muse » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:29 am

hanako wrote:You can manually resize the window (grab and drag the corner - at least, on Windows, I assume you can do it on Mac too) to set it to whatever aspect you want, and certain GUI elements will shuffle around to try and accomodate that. This is our first attempt at doing widescreen support, see. :) So there are a LOT of possible window sizes.

When the game launches, it tends to launch in the 'default' resolution (1024x768) unless it's told to do otherwise. But if you fullscreen it, it will change to what makes most sense for your monitor. And then if you go back to windowed from there, it will tend to keep a setting like it had while fullscreened, only not fullscreened anymore.

In the advanced options, there's a button to snap it back to 1024x768 if you've stretched it to something you don't like.
Oh I see. That makes sense. XD Just one more question, there isn't a way to get it to be the 1229x768 by default when launching in windowed mode instead of 1024x768, right?

Sorry for all of the questions and thank you!

hanako
Site Admin

#42 Post by hanako » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:30 am

Questions are good, ask questions!

I don't think there's a way to adjust that default at the moment, but there might be eventually...

Muse

#43 Post by Muse » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:34 am

hanako wrote:Questions are good, ask questions!

I don't think there's a way to adjust that default at the moment, but there might be eventually...
Sounds good! Thank you very much!

Naiomi666

yay!

#44 Post by Naiomi666 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:07 am

I gotta say that professor Grabiner and the whole invisible spanking thing was pretty hot. Especially because i wasn't expecting it. I wish that there was a romance with him or in the future you would consider making him one in another game.

Muse

Re: yay!

#45 Post by Muse » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:54 am

Naiomi666 wrote:I gotta say that professor Grabiner and the whole invisible spanking thing was pretty hot. Especially because i wasn't expecting it. I wish that there was a romance with him or in the future you would consider making him one in another game.
I'm actually curious who all will be datable in this game once it's out. The blog talked about, back during the conceptish intro stage, ideas stemming from everything fanfic inspired from how a crazy girl can cast fireball spells to get the eye of her teacher to cargoship crackfics.

So I agree; if he's wooable I will be quite happy. But for now, I'm just glad of the promise of wooable people in either gender. :D

On a side note, I love the girl who runs for president, who talks about caterpillars turning into lizards and spirits. XD

Now then, time to do a delinquent run and see just how mad I can make old Grabby!

Edit: I noticed a problem with the long name warming. Every time you make a minor change, IE if you put a long name in the game, and then try to change the hair, eye color, hair color, etc, each and every single time it brings up the "Change it" or "I am KEEPING IT!" dialogue.

Edit 2: Found another clipping line up on one of Ellen's dialogue sections. Save file & picture were submitted.

Edit 3: Got another bug going into the latest dungeon, sent the track back info, but I wanted to post that after it the background except the main windows was all grey checkerboard pattern, then the regular purple background loaded but no text was there. Just thought I'd add that.

Edit 4: Also got a question on my latest playthrough. Is it possible to get the "I'm-sorry-but-I-have-detention-bye" story arc, and get Damien not to hate you forever due to the mix up? Just curious if that was one of the "you'll likely know it if you make them leave you alone for the rest of the game" moments, or not quite. If you can't/don't wish to say say I fully understand though! (It was just so cute and then so woah ragequit! XD)