Magical Diary Alpha/Preorder

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
Spiky Caterpillar

Seven/Vista updater bug workaround

#16 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:09 am

If you're using Vista or 7 and the updater crashes, you may be able to work around it by right-clicking on the game and selecting 'run as administrator' when you start the game.

hanako
Site Admin

#17 Post by hanako » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:20 pm

Outside of the updater, how are things working? Finding solutions to the second exam? Anyone managed to win the election?

NicoWinter

#18 Post by NicoWinter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Well, I found two solutions to the second exam, and I think I know of a third one but not too sure. I tried to see how many solutions there are for the first exam and so far I only know of three, and know that one route is completely incorrect. What else...I have not been able to win the election as President but am able to as treasurer with the help of William, not sure if there is any other way to win seeing as you can only buy either the regular cupcakes and nothing else. Or buy the pins and posters but that is all. I also cannot figure out any other way to win...unless we are supposed to by the dancing....haven't tried that though. I figure that it involves a lot of steps to win as president.

hanako
Site Admin

#19 Post by hanako » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Election spoilers:

You can't win as President in this particular game - the best outcome is receiving merits from Potsdam for running a good campaign. In-game, Minnie has been working towards this all semester, and HorsePC is plain outclassed. For meta-reasons, it's just too many branches to juggle without enough reward from them. There are already a lot of plot elements that fluctuate depending on whether you're treasurer or Ellen is or someone else is. An entire Presidential plotline that most people couldn't reach isn't really worth it. But in the next game, WolfPC will be Minnie's rival and be able to beat her.

It should be possible to win treasurer without William's help, but it's much more difficult.

NicoWinter

#20 Post by NicoWinter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Response to Election Spoilers:
Gotcha, I had a feeling that it wouldn't be possible and I always got points for a good campaign, have yet to try to win as treasurer without Will's help. Though I did manage to get Ellen to win.

So far I've really enjoyed the game, even the outcomes of the dungeon tests, like being able to overly succeed the first one that you impress Grabiner. Or completely failing is funny, even when you are overly good at that particular magic (ie having 30 or more stat on the first test). I have not seen yet if I am able to overly impress a teacher for the second test though...but you know have not tried all possibilities just yet.

J_Yum1978

#21 Post by J_Yum1978 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:02 pm

This game is superb!! I love it!! So far I haven't had any problems with it and I am waiting so impatiently for the full version. Wish it can be release soon!!

Nada

#22 Post by Nada » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Will this still be available at the end of the month? I get paid monthly so I won't have the monies until the 30th.

hanako
Site Admin

#23 Post by hanako » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:56 pm

No worries, this'll be available for a good while, slowly growing more public. I'd guess we've still got a few months left at least.

Spiky Caterpillar

#24 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 am

Once you've updated to 0.2.36 or higher, it should hopefully be possible to run further updates on Vista/7 machines without having to start the game as Administrator - instead, you should get a normal Vista/7 elevation prompt when you try to update.

Radhreni

#25 Post by Radhreni » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 am

Not sure whether this is a bug per se, but if you put in a name long enough (perfect for those Mary Sue types!), it goes off the screen. If you keep on typing, it'll eventually go to the next line and push the entire interface down accordingly.

A shot of it in practice.

*ducks projectiles for using that name, however mangled*

What's more, yes, you can start the game with a screen-breaking name. And it has some...interesting results.

A coincidence?

I don't think this was meant to happen.

And a question, not bug or weirdness related - is 1024x768 the default resolution? I'm playing this on my desktop at that res, but I like using my netbook for older and lower-system-demands games. Would this be playable on a netbook?

hanako
Site Admin

#26 Post by hanako » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:09 am

*snicker* But should we prevent people from putting in a ludicrous name just because it breaks the display? :) (Hmm... Perhaps a warning popup on the character designer screen if you're doing something silly, and allowing you to insist that your character is SPECIAL and deserves to break the display if you really really want to? At the least, the wrapping on the designer could use cleaning up.)

1024x768 is default, yes. THe engine can scale (run it in windowed mode and drag the corner around to play with size-changing), so you can certainly try to run it on smaller screens, but it might run on the slow side. That's mostly a matter of whether the 3d graphics acceleration kicks in or not, so it'll depend on the sort of video card you have.

slowmolasses

#27 Post by slowmolasses » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:33 am

Thanks for the tip Spiky Caterpillar, it did the trick. My version is now updated.

On another note, I have something I'd like clarification on. Donald is Virginia's younger brother, but they're in the same year. So I know this is possible, but then I start to wonder if birthday's will play into this. Because then Virginia was probably born September/October, maybe August... Is this so then? Do birthdays hold importance if you're from the magic side of the world?

Something else I was wondering was about the spells. Are they for the dungeons/exams only? Or is it possible to go the dungeons later? Will there be actual duels later on, using the spells?

Then again, those seem to be questions that are looking farther into the future than necessary. I'm just a naturally curious person :)

hanako
Site Admin

#28 Post by hanako » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:54 am

Donald is the middle child; he's older than Virginia but they're in the same year. He's the younger of her two brothers but he's not her younger brother; if it accidentally said otherwise somewhere, point it out to me. :)

Someone does celebrate a birthday during the amount of game that's available so far...

Radhreni

#29 Post by Radhreni » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:02 am

Ran into another quirk (and no, this one doesn't involve any ridiculously special names :) ): Halloween, the night of the Dark Dance, and...well, I chose the Fun! option. After the results of that, Potsdam sends me back to my room, saying it wouldn't be a good idea for me to return to the dance. However, after that -- for expedience's sake I'll spoiler-color quote the next four dialogue boxes:

She smiles and walks away.
Well... At least now I know that there really are spirits here.
I'll just have to take it on faith.
Surrounded by friends and strangers, I dance the night away.

I think the ends of both choices got garbled together there?

Aletea

#30 Post by Aletea » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:52 pm

I've just started up the game, so I don't have much to say yet - just something I noticed. At the freshman initiation, one of the other freshmen is named Suki Sato; a (relatively new) tv show called Tower Prep has a character by that name. I was just wondering if that was intentional or just a coincidence?