Magical Diary Alpha/Preorder

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
Spazzbunny

#316 Post by Spazzbunny » Mon May 16, 2011 3:35 am

xD Damien is threatening to overtake Donald as my favorite with his ridiculous-ness. Though I must say, I'm kind of disappointed with Ellen and Virginia in this update. I'm not shocked, but still disappointed. I suppose this really is the melodramatic route.

sweetdreams

#317 Post by sweetdreams » Mon May 16, 2011 4:19 am

*sigh* my like for damien has never diminished...even I felt betrayed when mary sue was betrayed...tore my heart :cry: but now he's back to being my number one with donald being number two and old grabby as number three!! woot!!! the ending is coming soon!!have a good trip hanako!!

perch

#318 Post by perch » Mon May 16, 2011 6:39 am

Donald is still my favorite, followed by Grabiner, but Damien has edged back up to third. I don't know but both Ellen and Virginia can be frustrating, both to pursue and to just have as roommates.

I get where they are coming from on the Damien path, but I still just want to clunk their heads together. It'll be an interesting final exam on that path, with two roommates who have utterly rejected my Sue.

I waffle between disliking Potsdam and not. I get that she wants to let the students grow, but sometimes I think she's intentionally evasive with Wildseeds, despite past incidents where lack of information ruined a potentially brilliant students life like Musette.

I have the most annoyance for Minnie. I don't think she's intentionally being malicious, but I do feel like she has zero problems with messing with another students life or withholding information if it means that it will draw attention away from her relationship problems, but doing it in a way that allows her to get away with it because she's just been spread so thin.

I don't know, I wish I liked more of the female characters. I enjoy Pastel and look forward to finishing the game and having everything implemented so I can hunt for scenes and see if she's a possible side/minor path. I also enjoy Suki, she's that little bit of crazy I'm rather fond of from the Snake/Toad kids, but she's barely in it just like Raven. Isobel is meant to be a mentoring big sister/information source and Angela is meant to be disliked.

Though the fact that just about every character with more than one line of dialog feels like a different and unique character in the story makes even the personally frustrating characters interesting. It's nice to know that I can go through any single romance path and get a completely different experience each time and that the minor and side characters have interesting stories. Makes me want to keep replaying just to hunt down all the tidbits about this character or that.

junsei7

#319 Post by junsei7 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:01 pm

perch wrote:Though the fact that just about every character with more than one line of dialog feels like a different and unique character in the story makes even the personally frustrating characters interesting. It's nice to know that I can go through any single romance path and get a completely different experience each time and that the minor and side characters have interesting stories. Makes me want to keep replaying just to hunt down all the tidbits about this character or that.
I absolutely agree with this. The other characters make it feel like a proper world and not just a world with 5-6 people in it with some other human shaped scenery. It completely affects the replayability of the game for me. I know I have a tendency to turn into an ending hunter and get sick of the journey by the last ones, but there are a lot of sidebars you can go down here that make each journey different and surprising and fun.

(Also echo the love of Suki!)

sweetdreams

#320 Post by sweetdreams » Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 pm

damn virginia and ellen, it is not my fault I'm in 'love' with damien xD love is not something that can be comprehended! and great xD now I can't have damien on my arm at the ball...I wonder how this will turn out xD

hanako
Site Admin

#321 Post by hanako » Wed May 25, 2011 7:16 am

*exhausted collapse*

I don't normally mention alphas, but due to current circumstances I should probably say that MOST of the endgame is now playable in alpha, other than the very very end where you actually get your ending stuff. And since we're racing the clock to get this on disc in two days, it is probably a good idea for those who are brave enough to venture into alpha code to have a look.

sweetdreams

#322 Post by sweetdreams » Wed May 25, 2011 7:31 am

:shock: amazing!!! wow!!! :lol: great wonderful magnificent job hanako :D well after this game is released you can rest all you want hehe :P :D

perch

#323 Post by perch » Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 pm

I want to be brave! I can't get the alpha to download for me. It's blued out on my desktop. I will instead wait (im)patiently for the beta. :D

Good luck with all the prep work to the finish line!

hanako
Site Admin

#324 Post by hanako » Wed May 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Blued out?

There's no technical difference in downloading alphas and betas; if you're having trouble downloading it now you'll probably still have trouble downloading it when it gets bumped. (Unless it's just a temporary network hiccup which resolves itself in the meantim.)

selenity136

#325 Post by selenity136 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:35 pm

I don't know if I should post this in here or the bugs report, but there's a small typo.

Begins from "No one is dancing yet. Every guest is alone with...."

you mistyped "their".

Just letting you know.

Edit: Also on Donald's path, the "going to dance" scene repeats after Yearbook.

Cerberusia

#326 Post by Cerberusia » Wed May 25, 2011 3:38 pm

In fact, that repeats on all paths after Yearbook. The 'eir' is intentional, though - remember the bit where Potsdam explains pronouns?

hanako
Site Admin

#327 Post by hanako » Wed May 25, 2011 4:08 pm

yeah, we haven't done the yearbook yet so everything breaks at that point

Also iirc the dance couple-photos aren't in place yet.

perch

#328 Post by perch » Wed May 25, 2011 7:16 pm

It started happening to me right after the Damien returns bit. Every time I try to upgrade on my desktop (running Windows Vista) I can grab the betas fine, but the alphas are a pale blue and it won't let me update.

So I tested it on my laptop (running windows 7) and I am able to get all the updates including up to the latest alpha.

I must have messed something up all those other times I was hanging out in Alpha when I shouldn't have been. Hopefully when it reaches beta I'll be able to play through my saves. Otherwise I'm not sure how to import/export saves or else I'd just move mine from my desktop over to the laptop.

At this point I'm not overly worried and am waiting on it getting passed to the beta portion.

sweetdreams

#329 Post by sweetdreams » Thu May 26, 2011 5:36 am

does anything happen if we refuse to abide by damien's request to talk to postdam? he still appears and bites me no matter what xD

hanako
Site Admin

#330 Post by hanako » Thu May 26, 2011 5:46 am

He appears on the night of the dance if you either pleaded with Potsdam OR you wore his ring. If you ignore both, he doesn't come.