Magical Diary Alpha/Preorder

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
summers1989

#226 Post by summers1989 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:47 am

I am afraid that I have run into a bug during the second dungeon in version 0.3.40
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 382, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 170, in run
TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.2b
I have repeatedly ran into this bug ever since I upgraded to version 0.3.40 and continues to persist after upgrading to 0.3.41.4. It has become impossible for me to get past the second dungeon because of this error.

hanako
Site Admin

#227 Post by hanako » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:53 am

When you get mostly blank tracebacks outside the game like that, the traceback is lacking most of the information we need to find the problem, so you need to provide as much detail as possible. (This is a bug in the traceback system - 'Upload Traceback' is the right thing to do when it's available because it will give the full set of information.)

Are you creating a new character and playing through to dungeon 2? Are you loading an old savedgame and trying to play dungeon2? When exactly does this error message come up? What were the last several things you did right before that? What operating system are you using?
Last edited by hanako on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

summers1989

#228 Post by summers1989 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 am

The error is no longer occuring, so I am sorry for wasting your time. However, this might happen again so I was wondering if there was a way to copy/paste the error codes that tend to manifest on the actual game rather than the copy from notepad. The code I posted was a notepad version, and I do not mean to offend you, but the codes from notepad are apparently of little help.

Spiky Caterpillar

#229 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:12 am

Alpha 0.3.42 (only visible in the updater if you enable both 'show beta versions' and 'show alpha versions') should fix the crash entering the exam2 dungeon and the crash cancelling Sphere-pushing. (It also changes the way pushing in general is handled, so there might be new bugs creeping in there...)

The crash in the exam2 dungeon was caused by me forgetting to initialize the regeneration timer in dungeon entrance - I'd remembered to reset it when loading savegames, so everything *seemed* to be working fine when I was testing. :oops: You can also get around it by saving just before entering the dungeon, then loading that save.

The 'upload traceback' button will send me the correct traceback most of the time (and I see a few for the exam2 entrance, so I'm guessing you sent some). Notepad showing different tracebacks than the ones visible ingame is ALSO a bug that I need to try to fix, though. :)

Quicksave/quickload may happen at some point - no guarantees, though. Any preference on what keys should trigger it? ('S' is already taken for screenshots, though.)

gladi

#230 Post by gladi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 am

Spiky Caterpillar wrote:Quicksave/quickload may happen at some point - no guarantees, though. Any preference on what keys should trigger it? ('S' is already taken for screenshots, though.)
Not really. Hmm, some function buttons, but not adjacent to each other. I have just been playing a game with such interface and internet cannot contain tales of my rage at hitting the wrong button.

hanako
Site Admin

#231 Post by hanako » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:16 pm

The error is no longer occuring, so I am sorry for wasting your time. However, this might happen again so I was wondering if there was a way to copy/paste the error codes that tend to manifest on the actual game rather than the copy from notepad.
Don't worry, you're not wasting our time. Sometimes we can guess even if the traceback isn't complete. :) And even if things only happen once in a while, it's useful for us to know about them, in case we can find the problem.

As best I understand, what happens most of the time is that if you see the big long traceback inside the game and hit upload traceback, we should get all the information and it will be fine. But if you've seen the big traceback and roll back and then later get a big traceback again, the game crashes and you get the short-form traceback which doesn't have much information in it. (Spiky's working on that, as you see.)

Traceback uploading is the special feature we put into the game to make it easy to send error reports without having to stop and go to the forums or email all the time, see. But since it's a new feature sometimes it has its own little problems. :)

Sometimes if the game crashes badly enough it just goes straight to a short-form traceback, which is frustrating because it's harder to track down the problem. When in doubt, provide as much information as possible. :)

Ellume

#232 Post by Ellume » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:40 pm

After making all the code, art, general school timeline, etc for this game I can imagine the sequels will be infinitely easier and faster to make. Especially if you have more freshman main characters and can reuse the dungeons. Or even if you make new dungeons, you already have the code/spells ironed out. You were mainly thinking of the other characters being either freshmen or senior, correct? I think I remember someone mentioning that, not sure how official it was though. I'm curious to see how a senior main character would start out, as they should know a lot of spells at that time, and be already quite specialized. I guess it would be part of the character creation.

hanako
Site Admin

#233 Post by hanako » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:20 pm

The idea of maybe doing an upperclassman sometime is potentially interesting, but I don't have any solid plans for it. Especially considering a lot of details about the setting, some of which have been hinted at and some of which haven't... it would be tricky. It would probably be sophomores, not seniors.

Partly that vague thought is there because I have less motivation when it comes to writing the male freshmen, at the moment. I have a very strong idea of where the storyline for Wolf PC will go. I have reasonably good ideas of where the Butterfly and Snake stories would go. I don't actually have any ideas right now for Falcon and Toad. In particular, I don't have an idea of how the relationships within the hall (roommates, etc) would work out.

However, the existing freshmen in those halls haven't been onscreen much (in one Toad's case, you guys don't even know his name yet, because I kept changing my mind, so in his one appearance he's only described as 'Boy') and I may grow more attached to them later on as I work with them more.

Ellume

#234 Post by Ellume » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:50 pm

Are you already set on doing the Wolf next? Or is there the possibility you may do one of the others? Although it doesn't matter too much to me, I think I am most anticipating the Snake and Toad, just because they seem the most.. unique. I also like both Suki and Balthasar lol.

Do all the rooms have 3 roommates? Or do some have 2 or even just someone alone? If someone was alone I would assume it because of special circumstances. Perhaps in one of the games you could have a roommate as be fairly antagonistic? That would likely give some story content.

hanako
Site Admin

#235 Post by hanako » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:06 pm

Are you already set on doing the Wolf next? Or is there the possibility you may do one of the others?
Nothing is set in stone until it actually happens. :) I am reasonably sure I will do the Wolf next, because of the way that storyline interacts with the end of the Horse plotlines. I can't really say much about that at this point.

Most likely I will do Wolf next and either I will have become filled with enthusiasm and rush off to the next story (which would logically be Butterfly) or I will take a poll on where to go after that.
Do all the rooms have 3 roommates? Or do some have 2 or even just someone alone? If someone was alone I would assume it because of special circumstances.
Hmm, I wonder what mysterious reason I might have for quoting this bit while talking about the Wolf PC...

deb44

#236 Post by deb44 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:28 am

i updated the game and reloded my file, it's where you pick the valintine cards for ppl, but then i get xxx

hanako
Site Admin

#237 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:54 pm

if you saved your game too close to where the cutoff point is then the game may still have the end-of-game in memory and not load the new version of the scene that continues.

it's generally a good idea NOT to save right where the game runs out of script, but to save a day or two back and run through events again when there's new text.

sweetdreams

#238 Post by sweetdreams » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:44 am

so I remember reading somewhere this chapter will end in in the month of may or was it march? does that mean it's close to completion? btw how many endings are there?

hanako
Site Admin

#239 Post by hanako » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 pm

It will end at the beginning of May, so only a couple of months to go.

Also, Spiky says some people are getting tracebacks for something that happens because he changed the coding on buying valentines and they had saves after that point - if you've been having problems lately it's a good idea to back up a bit.

Elze

#240 Post by Elze » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:51 pm

hanako wrote:Also, Spiky says some people are getting tracebacks for something that happens because he changed the coding on buying valentines and they had saves after that point - if you've been having problems lately it's a good idea to back up a bit.
Crappp. I'd just overwritten all my game files to the weekend after Valentine's. oAo