Magical Diary Alpha/Preorder

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
hanako
Site Admin

#166 Post by hanako » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:56 pm

Hard to say without a version number, but other than a bugfix the puzzle hasn't really changed since it went in. However, dungeon 3 is randomly generated so you'll get different layouts on different attempts.

There shouldn't be a visually odd wall, though - it should be spells that you're using to get out. Picking a wall by just looking at it and deciding that's the exit and casting spells at it is not supposed to be a solution... If a wall popped up being the wrong color or something, that's a bug. What do you mean by an odd wall?

sayuri

#167 Post by sayuri » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:23 am

It was the dead-end that was just colored differently, it wasn't a bug or anything. I was just thinking too hard about it, lol. Still, maybe some small indication of which wall is fake would help. It wasn't until I started getting desperate and casting spells in every area that I found the exit :oops:

hanako
Site Admin

#168 Post by hanako » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:00 am

There are at least three spells that will lead you directly to the exit - cast one of those spells and it'll tell you which way to go next, so move that way and then cast it again.

There are several spells that can tell you if the exit is in the square you're standing in. Which does mean needing to check lots of squares.

There's a spell that can check multiple squares at a time, but not the whole dungeon at a time.

Unless you are incredibly lucky, there is no possible way to solve this dungeon without casting multiple spells - that's intended, and serves as a reminder that building up your MP so you can cast more spells can be useful. Running around casting lots of spells IS what you're supposed to do! :)

deb44

#169 Post by deb44 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:08 am

i found a way to pass the 3rd dungeon without having to cast alot of different spells.

gladi

#170 Post by gladi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Bright day
Maybe we could hint thread for people having problems or wondering about alternate solutions. Frex, I know three solutions for second exam, but would be interested if other colour can do anything.

This leads me to question. Hanako, in the study session before first exam is there a "smart" check to Grabiner's question if I want to answer "red"? Or is that knowledge of physics beyond the PC?

hanako
Site Admin

#171 Post by hanako » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:40 pm

When the game is complete there should definitely be separate hint threads for each dungeon - I was avoiding doing so for now in order to keep the number of threads limited while we're at pre-release status so that if things CHANGE there's fewer places with old information to clean up.

*shrug* If you guys really want to make separate dungeon hint threads now I guess you can, we'll just need to check them later to be sure they're still accurate. Discussing the actual solutions you've found will probably help debug anyway. :)
Hanako, in the study session before first exam is there a "smart" check to Grabiner's question if I want to answer "red"?
Yes. :)

Aetheria

#172 Post by Aetheria » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:44 am

I just updated to 0.2.82.3, and noticed that the sound effects (the chime after gaining points, the Christmas break music) play even when the volume is turned all the way down. Changing the "effects" volume doesn't seem to change anything about how loud the sound effects are. I didn't have the volume turned all the way down before, but they seem louder than my volume setting before the update...

Ellume

#173 Post by Ellume » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:09 am

Well, I'm impressed. I'm already planning to purchase the later games in this series. Many thanks for making this game :D

What would be the easiest way to find out about updates on the game? I would rather be notified about updates or it be mentioned on the forum instead of having to check the game updater randomly.

hanako
Site Admin

#174 Post by hanako » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:21 pm

Major updates will be posted here. We've just been very slow lately because I had to go away for a week, and the second semester needed to be entirely scripted out before any writing could be done to make sure all the timing worked, and the next dungeon (now being written) contains the first active monster which therefore needs a LOT of new code, and also the artist is still drawing it. :)

Once that's up things should move faster, at least until we hit dungeon five!

Ellume

#175 Post by Ellume » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Good to know, thanks. :)

Also I'm just wondering about the length of the story. We never had proms at my school and that seems to be one of the near ending events. Does that mean the dance at the end of the year? or the end of the third year, aka graduation type?

hanako
Site Admin

#176 Post by hanako » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Since 'Prom' wasn't entirely accurate anyway, I've adjusted the note on the webpage. It's a May Day event.

Dungeon 4 is now playable in beta, although some effects are still missing, and the code currently stops right afterwards.

deb44

#177 Post by deb44 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:23 pm

fun dungeon. it was funny that i got detention the first time :lol:

Ellume

#178 Post by Ellume » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 pm

hanako wrote:Since 'Prom' wasn't entirely accurate anyway, I've adjusted the note on the webpage. It's a May Day event.
Well there goes my hopes of a 3 year long game xD But this a great game ^_^
hanako wrote:Dungeon 4 is now playable in beta, although some effects are still missing, and the code currently stops right afterwards.
Cool, but I will have to wait till this weekend now till I can get on my own computer to play it. Looking forward to see what it is :D

deb44

#179 Post by deb44 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:18 am

i keep getting a trace back error at the event in the gym on jan 13

Spiky Caterpillar

#180 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 am

KeyError: 'path' crashes should be fixed by 0.3.3 (currently available if you turn alpha patches on.)