Magical Diary Alpha/Preorder

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
Aetheria

#151 Post by Aetheria » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:22 am

Preordered the other day, as I saw the thread on Lemmasoft and thought it looked like fun... and it is fun! Quite fun, in fact.

I noticed a few oddities:

- During Thanksgiving break, the title for Wednesday is misspelled "Wedneesday."
- On my first two playthroughs, I managed to solve the last exam once using a White Magic spell and once using a Green Magic spell (not to spoil the solution too much). The layout was the same both times. The first time, when I found the way out and went north, there was just a black space where the picture of the room ought to be. Going north again got me out of the maze and everything proceeded as normal (I think). I'm assuming that there ought to be the same stairs that you see when you solve the exam the other way?
- From reading the other posts, it seems like you're supposed to see another scene with Damien if you reschedule dinner, then get detention and don't tell him? I tried that in two different playthroughs and nothing happened - he just never shows up again.
- It struck me as a bit odd that Ellen would mention never seeing much snow, since I couldn't help but remember how much I got snowed on during my college years in Virginia... but maybe the weather's different further south. I don't think many players would notice anyway!

Riviera

#152 Post by Riviera » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:42 am

Aetheria wrote: - On my first two playthroughs, I managed to solve the last exam once using a White Magic spell and once using a Green Magic spell (not to spoil the solution too much). The layout was the same both times. The first time, when I found the way out and went north, there was just a black space where the picture of the room ought to be. Going north again got me out of the maze and everything proceeded as normal (I think). I'm assuming that there ought to be the same stairs that you see when you solve the exam the other way?
Weird.. I've solved it both of those ways and haven't seen that!
- From reading the other posts, it seems like you're supposed to see another scene with Damien if you reschedule dinner, then get detention and don't tell him? I tried that in two different playthroughs and nothing happened - he just never shows up again.
I was thinking about posting this same thing. I've seen other people post about how he yells at you, but he just never shows up again for me.
- It struck me as a bit odd that Ellen would mention never seeing much snow, since I couldn't help but remember how much I got snowed on during my college years in Virginia... but maybe the weather's different further south. I don't think many players would notice anyway!
I think you just got lucky. It typically doesn't snow much in Virginia. I've lived here for about 15 years, and I think we got a lot of snow about.. five of those years? Most of the time we get a few days worth or so and that's about it. I need to move up to Canada and satisfy my snow cravings. I live in Central Virginia, though, were you in the northern areas?

hanako
Site Admin

#153 Post by hanako » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:45 pm

Aetheria wrote: - On my first two playthroughs, I managed to solve the last exam once using a White Magic spell and once using a Green Magic spell (not to spoil the solution too much). The layout was the same both times. The first time, when I found the way out and went north, there was just a black space where the picture of the room ought to be. Going north again got me out of the maze and everything proceeded as normal (I think). I'm assuming that there ought to be the same stairs that you see when you solve the exam the other way?
Do you know what version you were patched to at the time? A bug along those lines was addressed a few patches ago, but I don't know if you didn't have the fix or if the fix didn't quite work.

Spiky Caterpillar

#154 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:53 pm

hanako wrote:
Aetheria wrote: The first time, when I found the way out and went north, there was just a black space where the picture of the room ought to be. Going north again got me out of the maze and everything proceeded as normal (I think). I'm assuming that there ought to be the same stairs that you see when you solve the exam the other way?
Do you know what version you were patched to at the time? A bug along those lines was addressed a few patches ago, but I don't know if you didn't have the fix or if the fix didn't quite work.
That particular bug should be fixed in 0.2.77 (and was only introduced in 0.2.76) - if it shows up in 0.2.77 or later, then my fix is broken and I'll need to fix the fix.

And Wedneesday and Damien failing to get mad if you ditch him twice in a row have been fixed in 0.2.80.

Aetheria

#155 Post by Aetheria » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:43 pm

Ah, I think I've figured it out - the update didn't work the first time I tried it, probably because my Internet connection is terrible and cuts out randomly a couple of times a day. That'll teach me to click the button and then wander off! :oops:

Do you have to start a new game to see the event where Damien gets mad at you? Reloading doesn't seem to make it happen.
Riviera wrote:I think you just got lucky. It typically doesn't snow much in Virginia. I've lived here for about 15 years, and I think we got a lot of snow about.. five of those years? Most of the time we get a few days worth or so and that's about it. I need to move up to Canada and satisfy my snow cravings. I live in Central Virginia, though, were you in the northern areas?
Yeah, my school was pretty far north, a couple of hours west of DC. So I guess you don't have to go too far to find snow? :D

hanako
Site Admin

#156 Post by hanako » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:17 pm

Probably depends on exactly where you're reloading from. I keep a savegame from the day of the Dark Dance to load from for testing that area of Damien interactions.

If you're still not seeing it, can you tell me what sequence of actions you're taking from that point on? Did you initially tell him that you needed to wait until another week, or did you accept the first weekend date and then not meet him on the day?

Aetheria

#157 Post by Aetheria » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:07 am

Ah, reloading again seems to work. Thanks!

While reading over the diary events, I noticed that one is titled "Damian's Dilemna" - which ought to be "Dilemma," I think?
Last edited by Aetheria on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PennyFaust

#158 Post by PennyFaust » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:17 am

Hey! I just recently bought the game and I adore it so far! Unfortunately my updater doesn't work :C I'm on Vista. The version I have is 2.76, or at least that's what it tells me. I read somewhere there's another version available to try? 2.3? If that's still available to try, I'd very much like to C:

Sorry if this was resolved somewhere and I just missed it D:

Spiky Caterpillar

#159 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:40 am

What error message does it give when the updater fails? 'Exception: timeout: timed out'? Or something else?

PennyFaust

#160 Post by PennyFaust » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:53 am

I believe it was something like that. I tried it again recently and it worked this time and allowed me to update so it must have just been my timing?

In any case, it's a great game so far! And thank you for getting back to me.

sayuri

#161 Post by sayuri » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:46 am

Sunday, Sept 15 w/ Damien: Says "a further word, he brushes past me and away", should probably be "Without another word, he brushes past me and walks away."

I can change the speed of autoplay, but not turn it off, which is frustrating. Actually, it seems that the further up I put the slider, the slower autopsy goes, and vice versa.

Sometimes, clicking the load game tab on the game screen still continues the text and has to be clicked a second time to work.

~~~

Now that I am on the third dungeon, I'm kind of wanting a hint system :oops:. I'll figure it out eventually but some players may give up. I think dungeon-specific hints would be too easy. Maybe if there was a hint spell that said something like "x color magic would be useful here".

Spazzbunny

#162 Post by Spazzbunny » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:52 am

I think the only problem with a hint spell would be that there are pretty much always multiple ways to solve a puzzle. Some are more efficient than others, true, but that sometimes depends on what spells you already have. A hint spell that suggests something you haven't studied enough could be a pain, as it might only confuse you more. Plus, I'm not sure how helpful it would be once the dungeons get more and more complex. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but asking for help on the forum still seems like the simplest solution for the people having trouble. ^^;

hanako
Site Admin

#163 Post by hanako » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Oops, I forgot to make Spiky invert the slider - it's probably still using the RenPy default of controlling the autoplay delay time rather than speed which I tend to think is a bit confusing. You can turn it off during play by clicking the autoplay button or hitting 'a' but obviously the options aren't clear enough yet. Will look at them again.

There kinda-sorta is a spell that functions as a hint spell... in the second dungeon. In the third dungeon that same spell is one of the actual solutions to the puzzle. Considering the number of possible solutions I don't even know if people have found that one yet!

And don't forget, 'Give Up' is always a valid option and doesn't end the game (usually). There are occasions where losing on purpose might be what you want to do, and occasions where you have no other choice. Depending on what you've studied with your particular character build, it can be impossible to solve some particular puzzle. Unlikely unless you're intentionally making very strange builds, but some people do that!

Riviera

#164 Post by Riviera » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:04 pm

I've often suddenly freaked out a bit, thinking that since I built a certain character one way, they'd never pass dungeon number whatever.

But I've been making characters that focus on two colors, and keeping the others up at least moderately. The moderate ones have at least two spells in them, usually three.

That has been enough to get me through, so far.

Also the biggest piece of advice I can think of is to TRY EVERYTHING. I've spent all my magic just throwing spells around, then I'll reload and try it again elsewhere or against something else. I just look at the dungeons like old fashioned adventure games. Think it's utterly stupid to cast Communication on that wall? It probably is. But you never know, maybe something unexpected will happen. Stranger things have occurred.

I still can't figure out more than two solutions for each dungeon, though. Must try harder.

sayuri

#165 Post by sayuri » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Alright, I figured out the third dungeon finally. I don't think I was running on the latest version so did the puzzle change? When I posted I was on the version that went up to Dec 8. I think I was having trouble because I only saw one odd looking wall, and then I used every spell I had. It was much easier in the latest version.