Magical Diary Alpha/Preorder

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
Muse

#76 Post by Muse » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:36 pm

I hope this is okay to ask, but I've been trying to get a specific event an unable to. I wanted to get the one with the can't you just spank me? line in it (partly because I want to check as many paths as possible and partly because I want to see it) so I was wondering if I could get a tip on it. If you prefer your testers to go in blind though, I understand. :D

I've been spamming detentions like mad but I only seem to be able to get in trouble on the wrong days.

I also found a small graphic bug and got a controls related question

The graphic bug is when in full screen, on the right hand side there is the top of a little grey box over the game controls but it cuts off.

The question is if you can switch to other running programs on a mac while this game is running: I tried the usual command+tab (and alt+command+tab too) but wasn't able to, so to take the screenshot I had to set my program on a delayed timer. A lot of games override that command anyway, but I was just curious if there was a way to switch out of it without closing the game down entirely, to check other programs.
(Uploaded a picture for reference, should be called MacFullScreenCutOffBox.jpg.)

hanako
Site Admin

#77 Post by hanako » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:50 pm

spoilery:

Iirc that's one of the detentions that can only be reached by taking dangerous actions during a dungeon exam.

deb44

#78 Post by deb44 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 pm

i love that option! i ALWAYS have to get it when i play :lol: :D

Muse

#79 Post by Muse » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Thank you very much! :D Now to see what trouble I can cause!

Woo! Got the scene!

Edit: Also I may have found a typo. Not entirely sure, but the dialogue talking to Ellen about the Dark Dance:
Mary Sue: Oh! Are you going to ask William?
Ellen: Um...
Mary sue: You are, aren't you.

I'm wondering if it should be "You are, aren't you?"
I've seen both periods and question marks used for rhetorical questions (never really learned which was technically correct) but I figured I would mention it in case it is a typo instead of intentional.

Edit 2: In the dungeon after Thanksgiving, I noticed that when you examine the walls, it says "They're exactly what they seem to be." but when you examine the floor, it says, "You examine the Floor. It's exactly what it seems to be." So basically one dialogue mentions the examining part, and the other doesn't. Didn't think to check the first dungeon sadly, I'll try to do so later. (Also, same as the bridge/Bridge, I don't know if you want Floor capitalized or not.)

Edit 3: If I did NOT participate in the Freshman Initiation, I should not be able to get any events with Damien, right? I got one with the Flower Stones. Submitted the save file, just in case.

Spazzbunny

#80 Post by Spazzbunny » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:30 am

So after getting a scolding, I've been a bit curious about something. What exactly constitues, "luck?" Is it a state that you can raise, or is it literally just the luck of the draw?

hanako
Site Admin

#81 Post by hanako » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 am

If you mean what I think you mean, there is an extremely slim chance of the random number generator ruling in your favor and you just plain being lucky, but like in real life, you can waste a huge amount of time and money trying to achieve that lucky result.

There's also a reliable way to achieve the same goal, but it requires figuring out a bunch of other character interactions and talking to just the right person at just the right time... or waiting until someone figures it out and posts instructions. :)

Spazzbunny

#82 Post by Spazzbunny » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:19 am

That's what I meant, thank you. ^^

I feel like I at least got the first step right for getting that reliable result. Maybe when the game is finished and I have the full amount of time to do it, I'll dedicate a game to figuring it all out. As it is I'm already working on a little chart to keep track of the different possible character events that occur during the weeks depending on the class you pick, and how those events relate to later interactions. Maybe I'll run across a few of those events while I plow through that.

Naiomi666

question

#83 Post by Naiomi666 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:58 am

i was wondering if weird and cute stats had a lot to do with the outcome of events or relationships with people?

[/url]

hanako
Site Admin

#84 Post by hanako » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:12 am

You gain Weird or Cute by doing something that other people think is weird or cute, so it shows up in unexpected places. I expect I'm going to need to go back and rebalance weird/cute later in development. (adding more events where you can get them, changing the default amounts you receive, etc)

So basically that whole area is likely to change later on.

As for what they actually do - not much, yet. at the moment it's really just personal gratification for knowing that your character is weird or cute. There will be some places later in some plot arcs where they may matter.

Riviera

#85 Post by Riviera » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:13 am

Ahhh, good to know. I never asked (and should have), but I'd been wondering that myself. I mean, I got lots of chances to raise smarts and strength, but only raised my cute/weird about two times.

I'd actually figured it was going to be pretty much tied to the items. I've been lusting after those fairy wings. They will be mine. My character is going to end up doing something like setting up a "Will kick Donald for 5 coins" stand to make money. Virginia would like that but would end up broke.

Oh, when you cast Inscription you can't use the letter A because it's a shortcut for autoplay.

... am I the only one that graffiti'd up the exam room and found that out? :(
Last edited by Riviera on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Naiomi666

another question

#86 Post by Naiomi666 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:37 am

i was wondering if anyone's game crashed when you picked the color of the card that you want?

Riviera

#87 Post by Riviera » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:47 am

When I cast push object on the rocks in the second exam, it makes this weird black box effect along with the regular one:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/Cylana/spell.png

It doesn't matter which direction I push them in.

I'm on patch 0.2.71.1.

Also... when Virginia gives (your) gift to Donald, she says:

<playername> helped me pick.

Shouldn't she say: <playername> helped me pick it out.

Instead?

Also when the Prof mentions the selling candles/selling tickets part of the Treasurer's duties, he says "embarass." It should be "embarrass." :)

nelly247

#88 Post by nelly247 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:59 am

hey Naiomi my game also crashes after picking the card colour, i guess that path hasn't been finished.

Riviera

#89 Post by Riviera » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:26 pm

Weird... I picked a card color (green) and decoration (sparkles and unicorns) and gave it to Ellen and it went fine.

What patch do you guys have? What color did you pick?

nelly247

#90 Post by nelly247 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:47 pm

im using 0.2.71.1 and ive tried all the colour options