sneak peek at upcoming development (magical diary)

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
hanako
Site Admin

sneak peek at upcoming development (magical diary)

#1 Post by hanako » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:11 pm

What are we working on now that Date Warp is complete?

A magical school dating sim!

This is vaguely intended to be a series in which you'll get to play either a boy or a girl and date a huge selection of characters, but each entry in the series will have only so many of them available (about 5-6).

What else is special about this project? Well, for one, you get to design your own character:

Learn and use different kinds of magic:

And, of course, meet lots of wacky characters:

(screenshots not final, this is still way early in development - I have NO IDEA when this will be finished, but I certainly wouldn't expect it before December.)
Last edited by hanako on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyFan

#2 Post by FantasyFan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Woo, that sounds AWESOME! I'm totally getting it when it comes out.

azureXtwilight

#3 Post by azureXtwilight » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:59 am

Whoa, awesome!
Looking forward for this! Absolutely!

Koori Odoriko

#4 Post by Koori Odoriko » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:35 am

Oh yay! This looks so cool! Can't wait to try it when it comes out! :D

Nada

#5 Post by Nada » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:38 am

Yay! I love this sort of game. Although I'm not too sure about the series thing. Would it be like what they did with Aveyond?

hanako
Site Admin

#6 Post by hanako » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:32 pm

No, quite different. As I understand it the Aveyond series stops at a cliffhanger each time, leaving the story incomplete and to-be-continued, and then picks up from that point with the next game.

The idea here is that in each entry of the series, you play a different character in the same setting, interacting with largely a different group of people, but over the SAME time period. One game would not continue on from the other game. Each game would be a complete game in itself.

Picking which game to play would mostly be like picking which CHARACTER you wanted to play inside a much larger game. You'd see characters from the other games going about their business but you would only be able to date the characters for the particular game you were currently playing. Like... that boy with wings in the screenshot is a major character in the first game. In the other games in the series, you might see him in the background and he might say hello, but you couldn't go out with him.

The eventual set of games could be played in any order, because they all take place at the same time anyway.

deb44

#7 Post by deb44 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:02 am

looks fun :D

sayuri

#8 Post by sayuri » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:27 am

I'm happy about the character creation :). Since you said that the perspectives will be changing from episode to episode, will there be changing circumstances for the character we create or would it be more like another existing character's point of view?

hanako
Site Admin

#9 Post by hanako » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 am

At the moment, the way it works is that the school itself is divided up into Halls for particular types of students (distinguishable by the gold symbol on the belt) and the PC you play in each game has starting stats and a vague background that will place her/him in the Hall for that game.

I don't want to make the player have to set lots of minor aspects of the background (like what's your favorite color, what's your favorite sport, how many siblings do you have, what are their names) because that would take a lot of player time for stuff that isn't really important, but at the same time it's slightly strange to have the PC always have the same answers to these questions when you're supposed to be making your own character, so I may select some minor personal details at random.

Nada

#10 Post by Nada » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 am

I really like the idea of different stories set in the same world and can't wait to play it when it releases. Character creation is something I really like and I also can't wait to see how you do it . =)

Yuki

#11 Post by Yuki » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:21 am

Who's we? Are you teaming up with Spiky Caterpillar again?

liz4187

#12 Post by liz4187 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:27 am

yay I am very excited!

Geisterhaft

#13 Post by Geisterhaft » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:05 am

Wow, looks really Awesome, with a capital A! That's probably gonna be another must-get for me.
I especially like the fact that you get to customize your character :3 that way, I can model the PC after myself and get it on virtually :lol:
I have a question, though - you said that the signs on the belts represent a specific ''student class.'' What does that exactly mean?
Are the Halls shared by members of the same social class (royal, rich, middle class, poor), or the same race (witches, elves, or whatever races you had in mind)?
I noticed the player character's belt had a bull (?) on it, while the winged boy's belt had a bird of some sort. Which fits with his wings... which, in turn, supports my theory that the Halls are each meant for a different race...
Um, very sorry if it'd be a spoiler to reveal that owo

(first post in an English forum hallelujah!)
“Our bodies are our own; they're ours to use, abuse, and, since we're all going to die one day, they're ours to use up.”
- Dan Savage.

phoenixgirl

#14 Post by phoenixgirl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:06 am

I'm looking forward to this as well. Glad to hear that each game will be complete in itself. So I assume that the length will be as long as other games like Fatal Hearts, Date Warp, etc.?
Please help and support me here.

sayuri

#15 Post by sayuri » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:32 am

To answer Gei and Yuki:

From my stalking, it seems that this is a joint venture with Spiky Caterpillar. This game is sorta the brainchild of Super Charm School so I assume, as was the case with Super Charm School, the "classes" are like Harry Potter. So basically, not by race.

I really don't know though, please correct me if I'm wrong Hanako :oops:.