Minnie's freshman year

Design your own character and attend a school for magic.
Runespoor

Minnie's freshman year

#1 Postby Runespoor » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:52 pm

For me, Minnie's storyline is the saddest thing in the game. A lot of other things, Mary Sue can try to fix, when it concerns the romanceable characters.

I mean, I haven't done every route yet (haven't done Virginia's, and I know I'm missing smaller events here and there), but... The best way to solve the Kyo issue I've found yet is to marry Grabiner. I was practically in tears when the protagonist told him Kyo was harrassing Minnie and spending 100$ on Valentines, and Grabiner finally called it abuse. I've just done Ellen's path as treasurer, and it's really horrible to see all poor Minnie went through this year.

Pretty much planning never to do a run without at least being in the Rose & Wasp, because even if that fails rather badly, at least Kyo doesn't manage to bully Minnie into getting back with him then.

I really appreciate how a game that features Damien's path (and parts of Grabiner's >_>) also depicted an abusive relationship without the 'fic' glasses. I say that as someone who loves the Damien/protagonist pair and find attempted murder as foreplay intensely compelling in fiction! But I really liked Minnie's plot. I wish there was more we could do for her. Tangent: Potsdam refusing to get involved in Minnie's troubles because Minnie didn't ask for help makes such terrifying sense when compared to Potsdam basically giving Mary Sue her blessings to keep on with Damien, only telling her to get better at the game Damien's playing. I love that scene; but in real life Potsdam's hands-off attitude does translate as doing nothing for Minnie.

It also makes me wonder how Mary Sue sees Minnie's troubles depending on the path she takes and her circumstances. I outright winced this playthrough, when I realized Mary Sue could be the one to suggest a big romantic gesture to Kyo.

Minnie's a sweetheart. Not only is she helpful to evey freshman, but she specifically seeks out Ellen to provide information and warnings no-one else does, while it sounds risky to even do so much. (And provides excellent world-building in the same breath.)

This went on long enough, I'd think, so I'll stop there. I hope Minnie Cochran's future is full of nothing but good things - as good as can be given the quirky dystopia she lives in!

FantasyFan

Re: Minnie's freshman year

#2 Postby FantasyFan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Wolf Hall will have Minnie be a romancable character, so we'll probably see more of her story in that game.

Foelhe

#3 Postby Foelhe » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:24 pm

Worth mentioning, I'm pretty sure Grabiner will do something about it if you talk to him as treasurer. He acts surly about it, but he does say he'll look into it and you don't get the scene of Minnie and Kyo walking together. If I'm remembering right.

Runespoor

#4 Postby Runespoor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:07 pm

Yeah, that's what I've been doing so far - I actually only learned Kyo can get back with Minnie because I looked at the walkthrough. It does mean that I need my Mary Sue to be part of a revenge conspiracy when I want her to run to Damien's Hall and shout that she's got detention in November and then manage to date him.

More of Minnie's story sounds awesome. She clearly has a lot of stuff she's hiding.

Return to “Magical Diary”