My screen is too small to play the game.

Design your own character and attend a school for magic.
AnnaLauraLee

My screen is too small to play the game.

#1 Postby AnnaLauraLee » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:45 pm

I bought the game back in September and was really excited to play it but then I realized that my screen is too small to actually fit the game on it. I can only get some parts of the screen to show and makes playing the game impossible. (bought my game from steam btw) if there is anything to do that can help please tell me because I really want to play the game.

hanako
Site Admin

Re: My screen is too small to play the game.

#2 Postby hanako » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:17 pm

I don't think your screen is actually too small (unless you're using a very old computer) - I think your graphics display is being confused. Do you have a special HD monitor? There have been a few reports on some monitor/graphics card combos of the graphics drivers blowing games up to many times their actual size.

I'm going to give some generic advice, but for BETTER advice, can you tell us more about your computer? What OS are you using? Do you know any details about your graphics card and monitor?

In the meantime, if you can manage to get to the options screen and change the display mode to OpenGL, that usually helps for people whose games are being overly magnified.

AnnaLauraLee

#3 Postby AnnaLauraLee » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:48 am

It makes it to were the game is really big and either the top does not fit in (fullscreen) or the bottom and the sides don't (windowed)
I am using a TOSHIBA Satellite laptop (2011 model) and the display is 15.6 and it does this to alot of games that I download, for the graphics all I know is that its a Intel HD Graphics.

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Postby hanako » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:17 am

Try going to the directory where the game is installed on your computer and running the file that says 'Start in GL Mode' and see if that makes the game launch at a more reasonable size.

If you don't know where the game is installed, you can have Steam help you this way:

Right-click on the name of the game in your steam library, which will show you a dropdown menu. Select Properties. This will bring up a little window with several tabs across the top. Click on the tab labeled 'Local Files', and then click the button that says 'Browse Local Files'. That will take you to the location where the game is installed on your computer.

Pokota

#5 Postby Pokota » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:36 pm

Also: go into your Intel HD Graphics control panel (if you have an icon in the tray, right click it, otherwise try right-clicking on your desktop, and choose "Graphics Properties") and try the different settings under Scaling.
Earl of Thing. Yep, that's definitely Kevan's title.

AnnaLauraLee

#6 Postby AnnaLauraLee » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:38 pm

When I try to do the start in GL mode it gives me this message

"I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

Exception: Could not set video mode.

After initialization, but before game start."

I am honestly so lost on what to do now.

hanako
Site Admin

#7 Postby hanako » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:47 pm

I think this is going to come down to adjusting the settings on your particular graphics card, which is unfortunately very difficult for me to do at a distance since I don't know anything about it. Does Pokota's suggestion help any?

Return to “Magical Diary”